Would custom servers for 3ds games be do able

Discussion in '3DS - Nintendo Network' started by hacksn5s4, Sep 25, 2016.

1. hacksn5s4
    OP

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    I know 3ds onlines not going to shut down for a long while but by having custom servers it will be possible to have Hackmon battles etc maybe even possible to emulate the poke bank server to get free poke bank

Last edited by hacksn5s4, Sep 25, 2016
  2. jsa

jsa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 21, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Devon, UK
    Certainly, it's possible, but it would take a lot of work for most games.
    (Source: I'm actually working with some other devs on a custom server for Flipnote Studio 3D right now - it works but isn't public, google 'Project Kaeru Flipnote')

3. ecko

ecko GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2009
    Afghanistan
    In theory it sounds relatively easy.
    • Network wise you would need to set up a DNS server which redirects certain requests (easy with Bind9)
    • You would also need to emulate the original server, which means reversing the network communications (moderate to difficult)
    • That reversing should be done for basically every game you want to support

4. jsa

jsa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 21, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Devon, UK
    Or you can patch the URL(s) in code.bin as Project Kaeru do (required if the game uses HTTPS, btw)

TheVinAnator and Ryccardo like this.
  5. ecko

ecko GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2009
    Afghanistan
    You gotta explain this in more detail. Not that I don't believe you, but in the interest of having a discussion. even though OP is banned :lol:
    If you patch the URL to one of your own, is it still trusted? Or did you buy a cert? Does Let's Encrypt work?

I did a small packet capture with the pokebank running.
    Obviously logging in with the NNID is via HTTPS. But afterwards it sends data over UDP. Though I'm not sure if sending/recieving pokes is also done over UDP (I don't have a subscription, since I don't need it :))

gnmmarechal likes this.
  6. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    ;)

NASC communication is HTTPS (login), but perhaps it talks with the server over UDP. I know that Pokemon is usually TCP for online services, so perhaps it's doing a subscription check.

Project Kaeru merely makes it HTTP; it's a lot easier on both ends: We dont have to worry about certs, and we can also check our problems when we have some :P

7. Zetman

Zetman GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2016
    Italy
    It can be a good idea, especially for those games where it's hard to find players online

8. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    ..Not really. A custom server divides the community; it'd be dumb to do it rn, just RE the games and see what's happening :P

9. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    It is possible, but would of course require patching the games, much like the patching of DS games for the custom Nintendo WFC servers. However, it wouldn't be possible to permanently patch the games for custom servers, at least not without CFW, given they have specific signatures and headers, but we already have an entry point for temporary editing. https://github.com/yellows8/ctr-httpwn

PokeAcer likes this.
  10. ecko

ecko GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2009
    Afghanistan
    Yup exactly, that's what I was hinting. I don't have a subscription to test whether talking with the actual server goes over UDP. And even if it's true, there still could be some form of encryption applied to the UDP packets.
    Going out on a hunch here, but wouldn't it also work if you use a CNAME record in your DNS? That way you can atleast circumvent having to patch in other URL's
    Edit: Wait, it would still be communicating over HTTPS. Nevermind.

Last edited by ecko, Oct 7, 2016
  11. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    how about nikki? can you bring her back? (postal service)

12. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Project Kaeru works because we have JPN versions that can go online; we have no dumps of Nikki :/

13. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    but flipnote studio 3d is still working online, or not?

14. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    In Japan? yes.