wii removed disc drive bypass help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by AbnormalAdept, Apr 27, 2017.

1. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    so i have a wii and the disc drive broke back several years ago and i got another one to replace it. years later i tried to hack it and play vc games and use usb loader. however, vc games give me a black screen shortly after booting up and wii games off a usb produces an error. is there an ios patch that can remove the system check so it does not look for the disc drive and then lock the system? i tried Uneek+di but loading times are slow and booting the disc channel forces me to go back to the wii menu. the games are installed correctly with diskEx. i cant even get homebrew channel installed cuz it said that im missing ios's. im looking for a money free solution (im not buying a drive just to get it to work even if its broken) it there an ios patch that turns off system check or fakesign it so the disc drive is "there"? thanks in advance

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Not that I know of. From what I understand at least the drive's controller board needs to be connected still. You should be able to get a used Wii for much less than a new optical drive costs, though.

3. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    im not planning on getting another wii (a third this time if so). looks like i need to get a disc drive :(

4. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    This dont quite sound like a Drive problem, i had several [20+] wiis with broken drive, never had an issue.
    Mind posting a SysCheck?

5. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    broken drive as in drive was removed

6. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    so apparently doing a system check crashes the app. i used SysCheck and dopmii but both of them crashes. will flash a working nand from my primary wii and will update if vc works etc

7. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    so i cannot restore my nand to my secondary wii and i have formatted the system. good or bad call?

8. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Loading homebrew automatically triggers the DVD Drive, so even if the drive its broken, the MOBO should be connected.

9. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    my question is, is there an ios patch/cios that does not let the system trigger the disc drive?

10. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    No. I hope there will be soon, but for now the only way to load Wii software without a disc drive attached is to use emuNAND.

There is a tool called PortablizeMii which is made to make a Wii functional without a disc drive (it's made for people who make portable Wiis). It will basically use PostLoader as the main USB loader, and when you select a Wii game, it loads emuNAND and boots the game to bypass the disc drive.

You can download PortablizeMii here (you need an account on BitBuilt).

Last edited by JacksonS, Apr 29, 2017
  11. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    is it similar to uneek+di? i tried doing that but games didnt load and i would get launched back to the wii menu. will give protablize a try

Last edited by AbnormalAdept, Apr 29, 2017
  12. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    Yes, it's basically the same thing. It may not have worked for you because your flash drive is incompatible. It seems like most flash drives don't work with Uneek+DI, so you just have to find one that does.

13. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    got it. i just installed portablize mii and now im in the process of adding games

14. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    so i have it set up but the ds emulator crashed upon loading golden sun ds and melee wont load from nintendont

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

nintendont works but must be loaded as an app first

15. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    ok time for an update
    everything works great, idk how to get wii games to show up so i used usb loader and everything works fine other than covers that im working on. however, how do i refresh cache for the emu.dat in postloader and enable wifi for portablize mii? do i use cheese installer and reenable wifi?

16. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    Wii games go in a folder called WBFS on the root of your flash drive, and each game has to be titled by its Game ID.

Your WiFi should be enabled unless you install the noWiFi cIOSs. If you did, run Cheese Installer again and reinstall the original IOSs.

17. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    thanks
    honestly im pretty much done thanks to you. thank you so much fam

btw if i have 2 usb drives does postloader use both drives?

and also should i use project m or other mods how would i use the in postloader?

18. AbnormalAdept
    OP

AbnormalAdept Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    another update. wii games when booted will send me back to the main postloader menu.