Which Android Tablet should I consider

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by JinTrigger, Aug 3, 2012.

Aug 3, 2012
  1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    I posted a question like this in the computer forums but this spot seems more apporiate, but in short I am buying me and my girlfriend tablets. She is getting the JXD S9100 for sure and I'm not sure what I want to get. The JXD S9100 looks very nice, but I've always wanted something like the JXD S7100.....I kinda just want a tablet that I can use for everyday task as well as one I can get some serious emulating on. The psp ones don't appeal to me because they don't look like tablets....they look like consoles. This is why I like the JXD S7100, but is it really necessary....Would I be better off just getting something like the S9100 and calling it a day, is their something like the S7100 that I don't know about, or should I just give the S7100 a run for its money. Someone point me in the right direction please.

2. Framework43

Member Framework43 I'm International

United States
    If you're looking for the most affordable tablet, you should look at the HP Touchpad. It used to cost $500, but because they weren't selling well, they dropped the price significantly low. You can get them on ebay for $250 max, maybe even around ~190-200. You would then have to hack Android on it, but thats extremely easy. The hardware is on par with tablets out today that cost a lot.

3. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    If you only want it to be Android I feel inclined to recommend the Nexus 7. Mainly because that's the only tablet that I would personally feel comfortable with buying and I don't like to recommend things I wouldn't get for myself.

It has enough power to speed through anything you need, and it's also the "pure"(and in my opinion best) Android tablet experience on the market currently

4. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    but my choices are between the S9100 and the S7100

5. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    Well, if you really want a "pure" tablet like the 9100, I'd go ahead and get a more "commercial" tablet like the Nexus 7. It would be a much better deal, in my opinion. But if you want game controls, the 7100 seems pretty good.

6. cdoty

Member cdoty GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Both the S7100 and S9100 are pretty low end tablets display wise; 800 x 480 is not all that useful at 7 inches or 9 inches. A refurbished Nook Color with Cyanogen mod is close to the same price point, but has a better screen (1024x600). The only thing thing that makes it hard to recommend the Nook Color is bluetooth support and no cameras. Cyanogen mod does add bluetooth support, but it has terrible range, and routinely drops connection (With CM7 at least, I haven't tested with CM9). Bluetooth is useful for joystick support. The Nook Tablet (Second generation of Nook Color) is hard to recommend, because it is close enough in price to the Nexus or Kindle Fire 2; which are better options.

If price is the big issue, look at something like this:
    http://www.everbuyin...duct202645.html

It doesn't have bluetooth, but should support a USB joystick connected through a USB OTG cable, which should be included. It has a very low res front facing camera, and a 2 megapixel camera, which is still pretty low res.

When looking at the Chinese tablets, see if you can find reviews online or a forum of people that own the tablet.

Things to look at:
    Bluetooth, Ram (1GB min.), screen resolution (1024x600 min.), cameras, capacitive multi-touch screen, other connection options (USB host mode).