USB DVD loader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by hackwii, Apr 23, 2009.

Apr 23, 2009

USB DVD loader? by hackwii at 4:30 AM (824 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. hackwii
    OP

Newcomer hackwii Newbie

Canada
    Ok, a month back my wii's disc drive died. The USB loader came out then, so I wasn't too worried by it.

But I just had a thought. If someone would make a loader to load discs from a usb dvd drive, it would rock for those in my position. I realize originals would still not work, but I have a stack of backups that would. Also they wouldn't be limited to 3x, only USB speeds or the speed of the drive in question. Faster than originals! Less wear on those who have working wii disc drives too.

Anyway what do you think?

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    That sounds....impractical.

You know that you can make ISOs from your backup discs and add them to your Wii's HDD with a WBFS Manager, right?

3. Gamemaster1379

Member Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    While it is an interesting idea, I seriously doubt that much effort would go into actually creating the program. You'll probably just be told to replace your DVD drive with another system's, get a new system, use the USB SD/USB device loader, or something of the sort.

4. Dinoguy

Member Dinoguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I actually thought he was pitchingout the idea of making backups of your dvd movies on your wii and use something like theMPlayer to play them of the hd. Or has that already been invented?

If you have the usb loader then you don't need a drive.Exept for thos few games that need a dvd inserted to play correctly. How did your drive die anyway overuse, water, overheating?

5. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You should get a replacement DVD drive if you want to play games off discs. Since you live in Canada, here's a great link to get one: http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/replac...-d2c-drive.html. It's super easy to install -- just open your Wii, disconnect the cables from your old DVD drive and connect them to the new one.

6. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    also i have a version of geexbox that can read a video_ts folder NP [​IMG] from the usb drive [​IMG]

7. Dinoguy

Member Dinoguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So it has been invented thanks.
    Now all I need now is how to make a partition.lol.