Unable to install windows

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Noctosphere, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Noctosphere
    OP

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    So, yeah, first of all, you must know that i recently changed my internal HDD. Now i got another problem. I burned on a DVD windows 10 installation disc and inserted it in my computer. But now, when running the BIOS, i get this error message, when i let if run alone AND when i use the boot menu to start with the disc. Here is the error message :
    Reboot and select proper boot device
    Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

When i press a key, the same message appear under the first one.

If anyone can tell me how to install windows and to fix this problem, please help me

2. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Sounds like you just haven't changed boot priority in your BIOS to look for your disc drive....

3. Noctosphere
    OP

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Well, when i turn on my computer, i press f12 and select my blu-ray drive and i get this error message

4. mightymuffy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    ...yeah didn't think it'd be that simple! :lol:
    Have you tried entering the bios itself and changing boot device priority from there? Perhaps resetting the BIOS, or the good old fashioned battery removal/power drain reset? EDIT - oops just read it's a copy you've burned... did you test the disc before to see if it was working ok?

Last edited by mightymuffy, Mar 8, 2016
  5. Noctosphere
    OP

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Genuine or copy? Well i downloaded the ISO from Microsoft website.
    As for power drain reset, i don't know how to proceed.
    As for changing the boot device priority, it didn't work, i get the same error message

6. mightymuffy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Power drain just involves you earthing your connectors after removing the battery on your mb, won't make a difference here though...
    Might be something wrong with the disc you burned, or your drive reading the disc (has it had no problems reading a similar burned disc in the past?)
    Best way to go these days (if you can), is to make a bootable usb (flash/pen) drive and copy your windows installation to that... otherwise I'm a bit stuck sorry, hopefully someone else can help you better!

7. Noctosphere
    OP

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    When you say a bootable USB device, do you mean like to putput windows installation disc in the USB stick or to put windows itself in it (like to put in the stick what windows will look like once installed)?
    If it's the second case, i can't even run the setup on my other older computer since it is a x86 systeme and the windows i try to install is a x64 version.

I tried with putting windows installation disc in a USB stick and it worked, im currently installing windows thanks a lot :)

So now i face à new problem, when i try to install windows from the USB stick to my hard drive, i get this error :
    Windows cant be installed on the drive 0
    When i click on the message to get details, here's what i get :
    Windows cant be installed on this disc. The material of this computer doesn't support startup on this disc. Check that the controller of the disc is enabled in the BIOS menu.

If anyone can help me futhermore...

8. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Well, which disk is Drive 0 in that scenario? Are you sure it's your internal HDD and not the USB device? If so, are the SATA controllers set properly in your BIOS?

9. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Is this a bios or efi based system?

If efi ensure you are booting in efi mode and the drive isnt formatted as mbr.

10. Noctosphere
    OP

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    First yes drive 0 is the HDD since it shows over 2900 GB . how do i know if SATA are set properly in the BIOS?

Secondly, yes it's à BIOS. Well i don't know what efi is XD

11. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    EFI (and later, UEFI) is the newer version of BIOS that has a nicer GUI and often has mouse support. BIOS has always been very small (1MB iirc) where as UEFI can be much larger and support many more features, including booting without a CPU installed. Motherboards have started using EFI for a while now (2007 was when UEFI started to come out) and is required for booting large HDDs over 2TB.

So, back to the issue at hand. You're trying to install Windows onto a 3TB HDD. I don't know why DVD isn't working, but to get the USB to work you need to make sure it's formatted as GPT and not MBR. Rufus is my tool of choice for formatting, as it also includes the ability to configure boot images (e.g. Windows 10 installer from the ISO) onto USB. You also need to make sure that your 3TB HDD is formatted as GPT and not MBR.

You may or may not need to make sure SecureBoot is disabled in BIOS too.

The easiest way to check all this is either use your install media to launch the recovery environment (by clicking "Repair Your Computer" instead of "Install Windows") and use the command prompt to run DiskPart to check the File System of your drives. That or get a Live OS (e.g. Linux or Windows PE or Mini Windows 10 that can be found in the Medicat thread on these forums) to help you check. Assuming you used DiskPart, you can also convert an MBR formatted drive to GPT using one of two methods (one is destructive, one is not). DiskPart can do it with the "convert gpt" command, but you lose all data. gptgen can do it without losing data, but the syntax is a bit complicated. Copying straight from this site, the command is as follows:
    Code:
    gptgen [-w] \\.\physicaldriveX
    Where X is the drive number as reported by DiskPart.

Once everything is formatted correctly, Windows should install as normal. FYI, GPT booting is much faster than MBR booting (from my experience, as I've had Windows 10 installed both ways on the same PC).

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  12. Noctosphere
    OP

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Okay, i think i get what to do, but first i need to know the prompt command to check file systeme in diskpart

Okay, so i managed to install windows on my hard drive by creating new partition first, you know, the basics ones like recovery partition.
    But now, im just unable to boot from hard drive. I got in BIOS setup and put hdd as first boot priority, but it still boot with BD-R, even if it is empty...

13. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Have you checked to make sure SecureBoot is disabled?

14. Noctosphere
    OP

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Where do i check this exactly?
    I did fond quietboot but i doubt it is that...

15. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
  16. Noctosphere
    OP

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    FINNALY I FIXED IT!
    I'm writting from my computer right now.

All I had to do was to change an option about the hdd where it was at RAID, changed it to AHCI or something like that.
    Now it works perfectly :)

17. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Glad to hear it's working, but..... why was it set to RAID in the first place?

18. Noctosphere
    OP

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    I don't know, I didn't touched anything before. why? was that wrong?

19. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Not exactly wrong, just weird. It should only bet set to RAID if you're going to use a RAID array (e.g. for Windows). If not, you either want AHCI for performance or IDE mode for compatibility with old SATA1 drives (I don't know anyone who still has one).

20. Vishnoo

Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

Jun 1, 2016
    India
    You can really use rufus.It makes a bootable flash drive.I installed windows 10 on my friends PC using this method only.You can also format your USB after installation.

Check if the DVD drive works.I have a external DVD drive.My internal drive failed.