[Tutorial] Compiling and installing Barrier (synergy fork) for KVM L4T Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by ZeroFX, May 15, 2019.

1. ZeroFX
    OP

ZeroFX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Too much hassle having to detach your main mouse and keyboard from pc to use with switch? Or don't have spares?
    Well i think i got the solution, barrier; Barrier is a kvm software, a fork from Synergy 1.9 that focus on mantaining the simplicity of the older version of a software thats now paid, but that's not the case with barrier, it also mantained Synergy's old price: $0! (Ok it was always paid i know, but it had nightlies and you could build for free).

Preparing.

• Well first things first!
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    • Now sweet sweet dependencies:
    Code:
    sudo apt install git cmake make xorg-dev g++ libcurl4-openssl-dev libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev libssl-dev libx11-dev libqt4-dev qtbase5-dev
    Compiling.
    • Get the source tarball with:
    Code:
    wget https://github.com/debauchee/barrier/archive/v2.1.2.tar.gz && tar xzvf v2.1.2.tar.gz && cd barrier-2.1.2
    • Fire the building script:
    Code:
    ./clean_build.sh
    • Then install it:
    Code:
    cd build && sudo make install
    Hold up you're not ready yet.
    • Cursor will be invisible, to fix it:
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.cursor active false
    "How do i setup this? Im new to this world".
    • Well fear not, fire the program typing barrier on terminal or search on your launcher;
    • Now choose language, and choose client, you're basically done on switch:
    • On pc, if windows, mac or linux you go to Barrier's github, download the release for your platform;
    • After installed you'll fire the program, choose language and server;
    • Now click on configure server, drag the monitor icon in the top right to the side of the other monitor icon that represents your pc on the grid;
    • Double click the icon that now says Unamed and write your switch's name on the Screen Name box;
      • Your switch name is the one that appears on the Terminal, you choose it at installation along with your username.
    • Click OK, then OK, then Apply and Start;
    • They should detect themselves and you should be done!
    Any errors or things i should add, point them :).

Natehaxx, thejrosso and crow132 like this.
  2. thejrosso

thejrosso Newbie

Newcomer
    May 15, 2019
    Australia
    Thanks for writing this up! I've only recently found barrier through a solution to an unrelated problem and I was looking for a way to run/compile it properly on L4T.
    Confirmed working. Cheers!

ZeroFX likes this.
  3. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    I've been using Barrier with my laptop and my development box at work, it's a great tool! Used Synergy on the computers at my parent's house over 10 years ago.

Using it with Ubuntu on the Switch is an awesome idea. Thanks for the tutorial, I'm sure it will help lots of people.

ZeroFX likes this.
  4. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Just decided to try installing this as it would be much easier than any other solution I've found so far, but on the switch, the service just gets stuck on "barrier is starting" and the terminal is complaining about not having, or missing a compatibility with "DnsServiceRegister", therefore I cannot connect at all.

Any solutions?

ZeroFX likes this.
  5. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Use your PC's IP Address instead of hostname?

Also, this sounds kinda dumb, but you do realize your Switch has to be connected to your wifi first, right? This isn't using USB.

ZeroFX likes this.
  6. ZeroFX
    OP

ZeroFX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2018
    United Kingdom
    You're welcome! And thanks, as soon as I remembered about synergy I found out about barrieer, got it running and then I thought of spreading, it's helping me a lot when messing with the system.

Well that's really weird, have you installed something that could possibly mess with this? Like DNS of something that change network? Checked Firewall? I compiled in a fresh install, had nothing extra, and idk if something could break barrier.

7. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Making a fresh install, so hopefully it's just a incompatibility error from something I previously installed.

ZeroFX likes this.