Trading Card Games

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by ponygals, Jan 27, 2016.

1. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Who here is into trading card games, Pokemon, Magic the Gathering, among others out there. Do you play them? Which do you enjoy?

If you have a boyfriend or girlfriend do they partake and play with you? Or do you just keep it to your friends circle.

2. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    I like Pokèmon cards but i don't really play them, i just like collecting them.

3. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I liked Yu-Gi-Oh card collecting (I still have, like, at least over 2,700 cards still!) but my brother has stopped playing, and my friend who always used to like playing Yu-Gi-Oh with me moved to Hong-Kong a few years ago.

4. mgrev

mgrev Legit Gladiator

Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    nope, i don't have any, but i kinda wish my parents would allow me to get pokemon cards when i was younger, like the other kids in my class
    i cri evri tim

5. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I have an addiction when it comes to opening booster packs. But i'm only a collector, not a player. (granted i'd play if I had friends who did)

I enjoy collecting pokemon cards since they're pretty nice to look at. I tried collecting Magic but they're boring as fuck and you pretty much never get any interesting cards even in a booster box. Though I will say it's nice being able to sell like 15 cards to make up the cost of the entire booster box, whereas with pokemon you can't really do that. Yugioh are basically the same as Pokemon for me, but I find the Pokemon TCG to be more appealing overall. Yugioh has gotten a bit too bloated.

I also (for a while) collected anime trading cards, which was pretty fun. But they're damn expensive and incredibly hard to find to get boosters for.

6. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    I own Pokemon cards from ~2000, nothing current. I have quite a bit of M:TG cards, some newer, but mostly old, too... I play...rarely.

In addition to that, I have a bunch of old Animayhem cards and Star Trek: TCG cards...all from the mid-late 90s :P

Also, I don't have a girlfriend! *cries* Thanks for reminding me I'm a loser!!!! I'm gonna go find a virtual girl to date, 'cause they're better than real girls....*goes to find that topic on here*

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Physical TCGs, not anymore. I used to own a fair selection of Pokemon cards, but I gave them away growing up. If I had more expendable cash to toss around, I would love to try and start collecting the first couple series of Pokemon cards purely for the nostalgia boner, but meh.

Digital ones, I was in a Hearthstone binge for around half a year or so then got bored of that.

Fr0zenIce likes this.
  8. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    I'm the computer lab teacher at an elementary school...Pokemon cards are alive and well with America's youth. :P

9. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    Heh, I did collect and play with Pokèmon cards, back when I was younger.
    Then the price for just a booster pack skyrocketed. Also kinda lost interest too.

I do have some sort of gift tho: I always find some damn rare cards.
    I remember, when Gold & Silver was new, buying a booster pack and finding a Lugia in there.
    Recently, I bought one just for sh*ts and giggles, and I found this:
    [​IMG]

10. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I like the memory of playing yu gi oh when i was 7/8 so back in 2002-2003 lol.

11. Tex_McBladeSword

Tex_McBladeSword Im Insane! From Earth!

May 16, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I am Needed
    I used to be in to Yugioh a lot (Pre 5D's) but I, along with most of my friends didnt care for the direction it started going. A few of us play Force of Will now, but we're not like hard-core tournament players or anything.

I had all of the 2nd gen eReader Pokemon cards back in the day, but those are long gone. Other than that, I have all 100 Medabots cards that were localized in the States. Not that anyone plays the game, I'm just a big fan of the series

12. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    I used to be really into Yu-Gi-Oh, before the whole synchro monsters thing came in. I used to play a lot of tournaments. I even had a chance to play in the world championships one year. Got my ass handed to me, but it was a fun time. I stopped playing once it started getting silly with synchro monsters and such. I also didn't have any friends that played anymore, as they had moved onto gaming in their CODs and such.

13. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    I am final fantasy card addict, whether it's triple triad, art museum or the trading card game they released 4 years ago or something. I don't play it cause 1) it's Japanese so I don't get it. 2) I have no one to play with. I like keeping them in mint condition anyway.

I have a lot of Pokemon from the first edition set that came out ages ago. I started collecting them back when Pokemon were 150 lol. Then I just fell out of the Pokemon world. I'm not sure how much those cards are worth. I'd sell them if someone wants them

14. G0R3Z

Aug 12, 2014
    Those starter evolution holos are worth serious money. Charizard goes for at least a hundred.

Madridi likes this.
  15. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Thanks for the info. I just checked my cards quickly and the only holos I have are:
    3x Machamp
    4x Vaporeon

Worth anything? Everything else are not holo. I also have lots of energy cards, trainer cards, etc..

16. Grim Ripper

Grim Ripper GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Greece
    I used to play yugioh but not anymore.

I play pokemon tcg nowadays, once per month i'll play in a tournament.

During summer i briefly played Force of Will, great game but i couldn't play 2 tcg.
    I barely play one anyway. :P

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Check here and sell them on ebay
    http://www.coolstuffinc.com/
    http://www.trollandtoad.com/

Madridi likes this.
  17. G0R3Z

Aug 12, 2014
    Not really. Machamps can go for a fiver or so. They're a pretty common holo, proven by the amount of them you have.

Madridi likes this.
  18. Hells Malice

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I actually have a (fairly mint) set of the official FFVIII Triple Triad cards (and a complete set of all other cards that came in the same set).
    Wish I knew about these things before they got morbidly expensive.

19. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    That's cool. Yeah I have a few complete sets of both that I got fairly cheap. The cheapest I got was from Japan for 10000 yen last year. The seller apparently didn't know how much they were worth.

Why would you wish you have known about them before? You have them already lol

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thanks, I wouldn't know as I actually bought them in singles. Packs didn't exist in my county back then.

20. Hells Malice

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada

Cuz I bought the completed set. It was not cheap, lol.

edit: wow can't edit my post properly

Last edited by Hells Malice, Jan 29, 2016