This is why Nintendo will probably win the console war

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't the reason Nintendo entering the console market making low powered devices? This was true ever since they launched that Game & Watch. However, with how technology is moving fast they are sliding on pretty thin ice.
Since when Nintendo was trying to save Earth by using less energy. To enter the gaming market to save Earth is great but I suspect not the truth.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Since when Nintendo was trying to save Earth by using less energy. To enter the gaming market to save Earth is great but I suspect not the truth.
Has nothing to do with saving the planet, more like saving their pockets when using weaker hardware.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has nothing to do with saving the planet, more like saving their pockets when using weaker hardware.
One thing you have to give Nintendo credit for is they don't kill you battery so as to claim a longer battery life. Most battery operated device would drive the battery harder and you would have no battery life by now ( for unpatch units due to wear )

Old tech normally use more power.

Standby power of Nintendo made HW is normally excellent. Being able to turn on after sitting in the drawer for years is plain amazing.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

MoshpitWorkout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think there will ever be a "winner", simply because there's nothing to win. The market for entertainment isn't one that is easy to corner by just one company, people have different preferences towards flavors and the two big players Sony and Nintendo are serving different customers for the most part. Just as pan cakes and waffles will have no "winner" it'll be the same there.

I agree that there isn't really a war to win any more. All 3 are moving to more service-oriented revenue streams and Sony are really embracing PC games in a way that I never would've imagined back in the PS2 (or even PS3) era. Microsoft are also very PC-focused and I think that Nintendo will eventually move to release their games for other platforms, as long as you're paying for their subscription service.

Consoles are becoming more like PCs, but I don't think that means they are going to be replaced with PCs because most people just don't want to deal with the hassle of maintaining their gaming device. I'm more expecting there to be a future where they will keep making consoles and we can just have PlayStation Plus, Game Pass, and Nintendo Online on whatever device we want.

The consoles may also just be thin clients where the games are running in The Cloud™ but that would be the worst timeline.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The consoles may also just be thin clients where the games are running in The Cloud™ but that would be the worst timeline.
The worst yet also the most likely. It's a safe bet as soon as the infrastructure allows mass uptake that standalone consoles will be history.

I mean, just look at the PC space where hardware prices are rocketing. It's almost like there is some sort of collusion to eventually drive gamers to a Geforce Now type of service.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Frfr, autism gang rise up.