Suggestions....

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ty5479, Feb 16, 2010.

Feb 16, 2010

Suggestions.... by ty5479 at 9:20 PM (1,291 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. ty5479
    OP

Newcomer ty5479 Newbie

United States
    Hello, I recently purchased a new Dsi with version 1.4u. The dilemma I am having is choosing between Acekard 2i or the r4i 1.4 version. From my under standing and searching I will not be able to get the acekard 2i to work unless I have a another DS with lower firmware. Which I do not. So I believe that leaves me with r4i (which i'm still not 100% sure it will work with 1.4X (or specifically 1.4U). So that leads to my other question. What is a good legit source to purchase r4i. I have found various sites. But when I do research on the various sites i find. There is always somebody saying they're selling fake cards or they never got it. So I'm not sure who to trust. Thats why I would like some people to post where they purchased their card from. I'm sorry if this has already been brought up in a previous thread. I tried to search for it.

Thank you for your time and I will greatly appreciate anybodies help.

2. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    Don't get the R4 if i were you and you knew that the acekard wouldn't work for you look into the M3i0

3. ty5479
    OP

Newcomer ty5479 Newbie

United States

Yeah that is starting to worry me too. About 50 to 60% of the forums and youtube comments i come across don't like any of the R4's. As for the M3i0, I really cant find much on it. I really like the acekard 2i. Maybe i'll just have to wait for them to update it? or am I just SOL?

4. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    just find a pre 1.4 updated acekard

5. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Leave the R4i alone for sure, i can't comment on the M3izero as i have never had one, but the acekard 2i is a great card.

6. ty5479
    OP

Newcomer ty5479 Newbie

United States

Any idea where I can find one?,I tried ebay but it looks like the one on there wasn't up graded. Would I be able to upgrade the Acekard to 1.4 from a DS lite (not a DSi).

7. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Yes you have to upgrade the acekard2i with a DSlite or a DSi running a version lower than 1.4

8. ty5479
    OP

Newcomer ty5479 Newbie

United States
    Guess thats my only choice. I'll have to find somebody locally that has a DS lite i can use and just upgrade the card from there. So back to one my original questions. What is a good site to purchase a Acekard 2i?

9. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    First question would be, in which country do you live?
    If you live in Canada, I would recommend Gamersection.
    If you live in USA, I buy at RealHotStuff.

10. ty5479
    OP

Newcomer ty5479 Newbie

United States
    Thanks, I'll check out RealHotStuff. Also what is the big deal with R4i. Besides it not being good and sucking. Does it just have less support than acekard? Or it just because it's a Chinese knock offs?

11. ty5479
    OP

Newcomer ty5479 Newbie

United States
    Realhotstuff had the updated Acekards 2i for 1.4. So hopefully it will work without having to do much =).

12. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    There are several dozen carts, all named R4i. It's the most well-known flashcart name, so clone-makers keep abusing it's prior reputation. People advise against them for several reasons: can be difficult to determine which firmware you need, can be difficult to determine what kind of cart (DSTT, Acekard, etc) it's a clone of, several of them are just plain poor quality, most are poorly supported if even supported at all, and so on and so on. Avoiding anything named "R4" will just make things easier on you, and if you eventually need help with it, buying a legit brand cart (like Acekard 2i) will make it far easier for us to help you. Many R4 carts do function as advertised, but it's best to avoid them to prevent headaches down the road.

13. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    I have owned EDGE, Acekard 2i, EZ Flash Vi, and M3i zero....

Edge was great for starters
    Acekard was awesome
    I thought EZ flash was better because of the upgradable kernel but turns out in features and skinning it sucks (it's good for gaming though).
    M3i Zero currently using is awesome and has that boot strap thingy to update cart without using a DS

14. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Get the M3 Zero for your DSi. You won't have to worry about your DSi firmwares since it updates it self with that USB thing. Plus Sakura is pretty good if you turn off RTS and Softreset if you do that than you have 100% compatibility. With RTS and Soft-reset on you will have 90% compatibility.

EDIT: I would have recommend the Acekard though if I wasn't pissed off on it right now. Whenever I touch the Acekard 2i the game I am playing freezes and I always like to touch the flashcart and push it down a little idk why.

15. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    I don't know why either [​IMG] but that's the main thing that pissed my off about my acekard 2i I was playing chrono trigger and every time I closed the DSi it would freeze.... contact problems

16. ty5479
    OP

Newcomer ty5479 Newbie

United States
    yeah i'm thinking of picking up both Acekard 2i and the M3i0. Is there really any major difference between the two? They all pretty seem to do all the same thing.

17. Sumea

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    You be copying my plans!
    STOP BEING MY BRAIN!

18. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    M3i Zero is more about GUI where the AK2i is more about playing games.

19. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Just get both if you can. Both play the same games anyways so it doesn't really matter. If you can wait you could get the Supercard DSTwo.

20. ty5479
    OP

Newcomer ty5479 Newbie

United States

I just looked that up. It looks nice.. I'll probably just buy it when it comes out... whenever that is. I just picked up the Acekard 2i. Should be here in 2 to 3 days =). Hopefully all will work out.