Students' debts?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by MaHe, Jun 12, 2007.

Jun 12, 2007

Students' debts? by MaHe at 5:19 PM (2,601 Views / 0 Likes) 38 replies

1. MaHe
    OP

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    I was reading an article a while ago and was shocked to see many of American/British students in ~10,000$ debts, just so they could go to college/university. The reason I was stunned was the fact that NOBODY pays for education where I live (obviously communism had it's good sides too [​IMG] , but that's besides the point). So, I just want to ask all you college students from the Wild, Wild West:

1) What university/college do you go to?
    2) How much do you pay for education per year (excluding the books and 'equipment')?

Thanks, I'm just curious.

2. Mehdi

Member Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

Netherlands
    1) University of Tilburg
    2) 1400 euros yearly

and the government pays for our tuiton. You get a full scholarship (which is actually a loan) if u finish your course within 10 years.

3. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    I go to the Hull School of Art and Design and my course fees are £2200/year.
    This is the first year (just ended) of the "top up fees" and they can be upto £3000/year, and unlike last year everyone has to pay them. Upto last year you could get them paid for you if you fell into a certain family income bracket. Now you have the option of a loan or pay half the fees twice a year.

On top of that I get a maintainace loan of £2700 a year, so my loans will be £4900 per year, over my 3 years that will be about £14,700 (excluding if I go into my overdraft), also asuming my course fees don't go up.

EDIT: I read an article that students starting in September could have loans of upto £30,000 for a three year course, which seems too high to me.

4. mcp2

Member mcp2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Britain is a rip off, pay for Uinversity, I think some pay for tutor fees. Debts in the thousands are common here.

5. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Its better going to university in the UK than the USA. In the USA you also need to find tuition fees. It wasn't too bad when I went to college and university years ago. You got a small grant. But when they were charging full price for all the books you needed at university, your grant was already gone.

6. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I've been one year to oxford brookes and the tuition fees were £3000.
    And that doesn't include living there (rent, food, bills, other stuff).
    I have about 10 000€ of debts now and am gonna have something like 16000€ more for the next 3 years because I'm entering an important school (university) in France.
    All the banks I've had a loan with trust me because students who go to the same schools as I go to always end up with a great job (100% success rate). So once you get a good job, you can start paying back.

7. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    $3500 but I don't take out loans or get grants.

8. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    I start Uni in September, I'm totally looking forward to it. [​IMG]

In England most universities charge the maximum tuition fee they're allowed to charge which this coming year will be £3070 ($6062).

On top of that I'll also need to pay £2500 for accomodation for the year. And if that weren't bad enough I'll need money to live - food, drink, clothes, transport, general expenses etc...

I'm doing a four year course although third year will be on placement i.e. working full time so the tutition fees for the third year are only around £700, and of course I will be making some money from the work.

So yeah it certainly is expensive but it's not too bad because you get loaned the cash throughout the year. You only have to pay back the money you borrowed after you finish your course and once you're in a job earning over £15,000, and even then you only have to pay it back very gradually ~ only like £3 a week.

Oh and there are various non-repayable grants and awards one may be entitled to, but like many people, aside from a small income based grant I won't be entitled to anything.

With all that said however, I absolutely can't wait to start, it'll be fantastic!

[​IMG]

9. FreddeX

Newcomer FreddeX Member

Sweden
    In Sweden you don't pay any tuition fees to the universities, and I think this is true even for foreigners coming to study in Sweden. However, there has been discussions about changing this for foreigners ... so hurry over now [​IMG]

But, you still have to pay for somewhere to live, food, books, beer money, etc so most people have to take loans anyway. Being the old geezer I am (no numbers [​IMG] ), the government loans were pretty nice. In my case (old rules) I pay in relation to what I earn (4% of my annual income), and if I still owe money by the time I'm 65, the debt gets written off - the new loan system is however different ... worse I think. After like 5-6 years at university, I owed something like $30000 ... I guess I shouldn't have drinken so many beers [​IMG] ) Anyway, it was definetly worth it.

10. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    With the loans from the Student Loan Company in the UK its written off if:
    -Not paid in 25 years after graduation
    -Not paid off before your 50 (thats 4 months after my 25 years is up)
    -You live and work outside the country for 5 years, though I've heard rumours this has been scrapped.

That amount you do pay of is nominal and only starts when you are earning £18,000 or more and is taken off before you are taxed.

11. Wils

Newcomer Wils Member

United Kingdom
    I've had my loan on deferment for 7 years now, and to be honest, I don't think I'll ever have to pay it back. This is because the student loans companies keep putting up the amount you've got to be earning before you've got to start repayments. When I defered again this April just gone, the amount had gone up to about 25 grand before deductions. Not sure if mine is different to newer ones, though, as I was in the final year that students got grants and not 100% loans.

12. thomaspajamas

Member thomaspajamas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Drew University,I think its $45,000 a year.

After scholarships and financial aid, though, it costs me about $9,000/ year

13. noamkot

Newcomer noamkot Advanced Member

Israel
    I don't live in the west... more like the south east but tuition here is subsidized by the government and stands at about 2000$ annually.
    This is true regarding all public universities which are considered to be much better academically than private colleges that can charge as much as they like.
    This issue is highly debated and we just returned from over a month of students' strike trying to prevent an increase.

14. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    That's fucking awesome.
    The best the US can give is a life insurance policy on all student loans so that when you die (fake your death) the loans are written off.

15. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I currently owe £12000 to the Student Loan Company (= $23,000 in funny money).

I went to university between 2002 and 2006. Tuition fees were fixed and cost the same for all universities. For a science based course, tuition was about £1079 a year (note that Costello's fees were higher because he's an international student). You could apply to the local council in your hometown to pay part or all of that figure for you dependant on your parent's income.

(I think the government paid a much higher figure on your behalf in the background, which is where all this "top up fees" stuff started from but I don't know much about that.)

As others have said, "paying the loan back" comes automatically out of your wages when you're earning over a certain amount a year. That figure keeps changing, it was 10k when I started, 15k when I finished and I have no idea what it is now.

16. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    well, I go to the University of Linköping, Campus Norrköping [​IMG] (AKA Linköpings Tekniska Högskola)

and no, I don't pay anything.

and I live at home, so I don't pay for food, except lunch.
    and transportation (i don't live in the same city) is about... $220... a month... but it's way cheaper than a small apartment! (and I don't even pay it now [​IMG] mom and dad help me)

So as you might've guessed, i dont even take a loan! I just get money for studying... $350 a month (sure, there's books and stuff to buy too.. but it's not that often! [​IMG])

17. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    1) California Polytechnic University Pomona ( [​IMG] )
    2) bout $3500 USD

heres the catch (or at least for schools in California) , its a "public" university, so technically the state isnt suppose to charge for you to go there. This is why its referred to as "fees" not "tuition" [​IMG] Boooo!! Same thing [​IMG]

18. rice151

Member rice151 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    University of Nevada - Las Vegas
    $1000 per semester
    (3 semesters per year)
    $100-$300 for misc. Supplies/Books/Parking etc.
    So, almost the same as the guy who goes to Cal Poly Tech. [​IMG]
    Which is wierd...

19. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    I lied a bit, its exactly
    $ 3,279 per year ( 3 quarters, 3 months a quarter, EXCLUDING SUMMER)

20. rice151

Member rice151 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    OK, like WTF...
    I graduated at the top of my class in High School and I'm going to my Local state college. My friend's boyfriend recommends me to go to Cal Poly (That is the same place your attending?) because
    A) I'm pretty smart,
    B) Asian gurls!!!!111

But my arguement is always the same.
    I'll NEVER have enough money, I forgot to count room and board that must be where it adds up...