Hacking Sonic and the black knight hacking

BallerDash

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I want to hack sonic and the black knight by doing custom textures on a wii iso so I can run it in the wii, but they are .one files, how do I edit textures on them as I’m really confused?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Without seeing the game then two broad scenarios

1) It uses a common texture format but puts it in archive files or renames extensions. If extensions then just rename back, if archives then figure out how to unpack them or edit in place.

2) It does not use the common BTX formats ( http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/Texturing )

Can be both of those at once as well.

For 2) then texture formats take one of a couple of approaches

i) It will mimic what is in the hardware -- the less work the hardware has to do converting things to use then the more resources it has to do other things.
ii) It will be similar to a high level format such that you might find in whatever texture program the devs used to make the game. It is a 2009 game developed through 2008 and prior so you might then have the fun of trying to find and get a 12+ year old version of a 3d modelling program working, or developing a tool for it.

BallerDash

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Without seeing the game then two broad scenarios

1) It uses a common texture format but puts it in archive files or renames extensions. If extensions then just rename back, if archives then figure out how to unpack them or edit in place.

2) It does not use the common BTX formats

Can be both of those at once as well.

For 2) then texture formats take one of a couple of approaches

i) It will mimic what is in the hardware -- the less work the hardware has to do converting things to use then the more resources it has to do other things.
ii) It will be similar to a high level format such that you might find in whatever texture program the devs used to make the game. It is a 2009 game developed through 2008 and prior so you might then have the fun of trying to find and get a 12+ year old version of a 3d modelling program working, or developing a tool for it.

It does look like hex editor may work but I’m not sure how to use it, it seems like when I load it with that it has the names and everything however if I can edit textures I don’t know. If that fails to succeed then I may have to stop trying as I can’t develop a tool and have no idea on how to get started with finding the 3D modelling tool.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It does look like hex editor may work but I’m not sure how to use it, it seems like when I load it with that it has the names and everything however if I can edit textures I don’t know. If that fails to succeed then I may have to stop trying as I can’t develop a tool and have no idea on how to get started with finding the 3D modelling tool.

Hex editors are very dumb tools and actually don't do anything particularly special. However as they show the whole files, can figure out location and have a basic text decoding (some having slightly more configurable decodings) then they are useful as blunt instruments or to show other hackers the contents of a file in a picture.
New hackers often seem to want to view as them as almost magical and something to learn when in reality they are anything but. Now learning to figure out file formats and relate it back to hardware, and what is otherwise seen. That is a bigger trick.
Or if you prefer being hot with a word processor does not confer you any great ability to write a novel. Same with hex editors and ROM hacking.

As far as finding the modelling tool then first make sure you have a need of one, and while some tools are annoying for legacy formats you might be lucky. Someone might have also made an import old version tool/filter/plugin (someone might also have made an import console format plugin if it is a commonly seen one or one for a popular to hack game -- nobody really cares about post 16 bit Sonic on the hacking front, and I am shocked anybody cares on the playing front but enough of my rants about Sonic Adventure).

BallerDash

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hex editors are very dumb tools and actually don't do anything particularly special. However as they show the whole files, can figure out location and have a basic text decoding (some having slightly more configurable decodings) then they are useful as blunt instruments or to show other hackers the contents of a file in a picture.
New hackers often seem to want to view as them as almost magical and something to learn when in reality they are anything but. Now learning to figure out file formats and relate it back to hardware, and what is otherwise seen. That is a bigger trick.
Or if you prefer being hot with a word processor does not confer you any great ability to write a novel. Same with hex editors and ROM hacking.

As far as finding the modelling tool then first make sure you have a need of one, and while some tools are annoying for legacy formats you might be lucky. Someone might have also made an import old version tool/filter/plugin (someone might also have made an import console format plugin if it is a commonly seen one or one for a popular to hack game -- nobody really cares about post 16 bit Sonic on the hacking front, and I am shocked anybody cares on the playing front but enough of my rants about Sonic Adventure).

Well I’m very thankful for all the help, is there anyway that you can please look into it as I’m not very experienced and would love to do this game as no one has done it yet? If not totally understandable and again thanks for your help and generosity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @StealthD0g99, welcome