Question regarding Wi-Fi Adapter for Original Xbox

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by wiired24, Jul 11, 2017.

1. wiired24
    OP

wiired24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    Dev_Home
    Here's the deal. I'm getting ready to move and the place I'm moving to has a WPA internet connection. I've been looking at the original Xbox wireless adapter here

[​IMG]

but noticed it only works for WEP sadly. I understand using an Ethernet cable is certainly possible but due to circumstances I don't think it will really be a viable option. Is there any other plausible method of connecting to the internet that anyone knows of? I'd like to be able to use XBMC but I may not be able to if I cannot get this resolved. Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited by wiired24, Jul 11, 2017
  2. DarkGabbz

DarkGabbz Resident XBOX Guy

Dec 29, 2015
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Modding Xbox'es
    Get one of those wifi repeaters and set it to access point then you can use then you can the lan port of it to connect your xbox with a lan cable to the wifi repeater .

wiired24 likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    1) Back in the day there was a thing called a wireless bridge. They usually replaced a wire with a custom wireless setup. Don't go looking for one but if you look at older things then you might see it.
    2) Ethernet over powerline. They work, many even come with wireless rebroadcaster options these days which is nice.
    3) Some other repeater type device, including connecting it to a PC and then the PC/laptop onto wifi after sharing or bridging the connection.

wiired24 likes this.
  4. wiired24
    OP

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    Dev_Home
    Thanks for the info, I've been looking into it and I've found that it's actually possible to bridge the wi-fi from a raspberry pi and share it with an ethernet device. I have a raspberry pi 3 with the built in wi-fi so this would be pretty easy for me. Would just have to edit some config files and such.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Yeah I had an older pi acting as a wifi access point once. Was a great little thing and as it was also a full computer at the same time it could do some pretty sweet things at the same time.

wiired24 likes this.
  6. wiired24
    OP

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    Dev_Home
    They make for nice portable linux boxes :)

7. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California