Hacking Question about Homebrew Loading?

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Happy to say that getting Goldhen to work on the PS4 (9.00) is one of the simplest console modding experiences I've had, so thanks to everyone involved with making it possible so far!

Anyways, I've done a lot of modding in the past with various Consoles including the PS Vita, so I'm not totally inexperienced in this kinda thing, but I'm wanting to learn a bit more about how homebrew works on the PS4.

The Nintendo scene way of doing things is pretty straightforward and has been for years now. With them, you usually have a dedicated loader (Homebrew channel on Wii, Homebrew Loader on WiiU, Homebrew Menu on Switch) and you can access all of your homebrew apps by placing them in specific folders on your SD card. Very easy when it comes to installing a new app. SD out, put new folder and file on SD card, SD back in, there's your app. Or, yo can install them to the homescreen through a different means if you want access to them quickly without an extra click.

Going back years and years ago, I seem to remember the PS Vita/ PSP using something along the line of Eboots as executables (such as a PS1 game converted to Eboot would run on the console), and .ELF files being like, homebrew apps . Is it anything like that with the PS4? I'm just a little confused, I don't seem to be able to find a lot of homebrew for the console to actually understand!

I see a few PKG homebrews laying around here, but that would mean installing them which I don't really need to do. So, my questions are :
  • Is there a type of dedicated homebrew menu to pick an app, emulator or utility from a files stored on a USB stick?
  • Is there a way to load homebrew from the PS Menu without having to install it from PKG file?
  • Is there a website with a list of homebrew applications like the one we have a GBAtemp wiki for Nintendo consoles (CLICK HERE)?
I know the FW9.00 jailbreak has only just arrived so many, if not most, homebrew applications won't be compatible yet, but it'd be nice to know how loading them works in advance.

One of the reasons I'd like to know is because Someone mentioned that the PS4 database can get corrupted causing issues if you haven't backed up your app.db file before (or after?) game installs. I see on the Nasky Host page that there are options to backup/ restore the app.db, but I've also read about homebrew that'll do it. I just wonder if it's all FTP based as I've never, ever managed to get any kind of FTP working properly for me hahaha

I'm hoping there's a simple way and a site where all kinds of HB can be downloaded!
As always, all help appreciated. :grog:

Last edited by MikeyTaylorGaming,
Reactions: Mo Poge

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
homebrew store has a list of homebrew, there's going to be a plugin loader with mira vnext, and as far as just loading an elf or something, I think so, but I've never done it. it's usually best just to install an app or send a payload. the ps4 is nothing like the ps3, because with the ps3, sony really fucked up their security, so virtually anything is possible with that system.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
homebrew store has a list of homebrew, there's going to be a plugin loader with mira vnext, and as far as just loading an elf or something, I think so, but I've never done it. it's usually best just to install an app or send a payload. the ps4 is nothing like the ps3, because with the ps3, sony really fucked up their security, so virtually anything is possible with that system.
Yeah I actually just found something about the Homebrew Store which is something I'd be likely to install to the console, I found a PKG for version 2.0 of the store, I've downloaded it but I'm gonna be reluctant to install it for now since I know that apps may need to be ported to work with 9.00FW!

So, Sending payloads. Can you tell me about that maybe? I'm assuming that's what these 'HOST' sites are doing. Just hosting Payloads to click and use through the bootloader port 9020? I guess I'd have to have a way of sending/ receiving a payload to the console...

It confuses me a little because the terminology 'payload' on the switch is just something you inject to boot the console into CFW. Are payloads apps? Do they just temporarily 'install' and then disappear once the console is turned off?

I know I have a lot of questions, just interested!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, they're temporary, even sometimes while the system is on. I think bin loader has to be reloaded, unless it's via goldhen, if you send another payload, but I can't really remember. goldhen has some issues with bin loader though, regardless of whether it's through goldhen or the normal bin loader payload. the store has been updated to 9.00, you can get it at pkg-zone. 9020 is the normal bin loader port, but goldhen has changed that to 9090 for some reason, so if you use the bin loader through goldhen, it will say that the port is 9090, same as bin loader payload should say it's 9020. you won't make a connection if the port is wrong.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes, they're temporary, even sometimes while the system is on. I think bin loader has to be reloaded, unless it's via goldhen, if you send another payload, but I can't really remember. goldhen has some issues with bin loader though, regardless of whether it's through goldhen or the normal bin loader payload. the store has been updated to 9.00, you can get it at pkg-zone. 9020 is the normal bin loader port, but goldhen has changed that to 9090 for some reason, so if you use the bin loader through goldhen, it will say that the port is 9090, same as bin loader payload should say it's 9020. you won't make a connection if the port is wrong.
That's all good. So you can run homebrew by sending a payload of that particular homebrew to the PS4. I assume payloads are in .bin format?

What do you use to actually send the payload to the PS4 though? Is there a particular software? I see that to send the Goldhen 2.0B Payload to 9.00 the preferred method was Netcat software, so... Is that all?

Thanks for the info on Port numbers too. Appreciate the help!

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you have to enable bin loader as well, which you can do through goldhen 2.0b. yes, they're in bin format.
Yeah from system settings to to Goldhen and enable bootloader. I did it for disabling updates 👍

Out of interest, is there a site where payloads/ apps / PKGs for PS4 can be found or are they classed as Wares that can't be linked to on GBAtemp?

And, does the 'disable updates' payload remain after turning off the console or does it delete as Goldhen does?

Cheers!

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You send payloads through netcat. It's a command line tool. There are GUIs for it though: https://wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/10282
I don't think that sending the payload will be too much of an issue, what I'm falling to understand is how to get the PS4 to receive it?

Or, is it just constantly waiting for the payload once the bootloader is turned on? I thought you'd have to load a Web page as we do when sending Goldhen. Hmm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...