jazzeux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,
I tried to update my stock sysMMC using the official nintendo update (in the stock settings) and I now get this error on boot:
"Unknown pkg1 version. Hos version not supported"

eMMC and CFW are still working. Can I do something? Also, I want to update the eMMC, but I'm afraid to brick.

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Up until now I've only used emunand and ofw.

I never boot into sysnand with cfw. I'm just wondering if I do .... And go online (with a clean and) how safe is it?

I know some people do it as I've seen mods and skins considered WiFi safe. I'm not even going to use those. All I really want is online play without needing to mess with jig and then reboot via homebrew into emunand. Is this considered relatively safe??

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Up until now I've only used emunand and ofw.

I never boot into sysnand with cfw. I'm just wondering if I do .... And go online (with a clean and) how safe is it?

I know some people do it as I've seen mods and skins considered WiFi safe. I'm not even going to use those. All I really want is online play without needing to mess with jig and then reboot via homebrew into emunand. Is this considered relatively safe??

To start…the ONLY way to be 100% safe is to use nothing but 100% pure Nintendo (without any modifications whatsoever). Once you break the seal it’s all educated guesses about a graduated level of risk > 0.

That out of the way, just using CFW is pretty safe. Nobody has been banned just for using Atmosphere. The issue however, is not CFW, it’s all the other dirty stuff you install on your SDCard under emunand that also runs when when you run CFW on sysnand. So yeah, they won’t see your emunand installed nsp/xci games…that’s true, but if you’ve installed other things that you’ve forgotten about, for example layerdfs mods, or cheats, or what have you…that’s what you need to watch for. IMO it’s just not worth the risk unless you really know what you’re doing. My recommendation is to do all your dirty stuff on emunand and run 100% clean (not even CFW) on Sysnand until such time you don’t have to ask questions like this. Don[t risk it until you 100% know everything that could possibly go wrong and be ready to accept personal responsibility if/when things go wrong. Know what I mean, man?

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know I'd be taking on certain risks... And to be honest I'm pretty confident I'd be ok but asked as there is always a certain level of doubt... There's always a pitfall you never spotted no matter how experienced or careful.

However I've noticed as my switch gets older there's other risks like wear on joycons, rails and the power button. My thinking was I'd never need to turn off or use a jig again....

The cheat manager was something I was wondering about as at the moment I don't have any games installed twice (that's just to save space) but if I did that would be a definite ban? In other words if I left it on in emunand it would still be on in sysnand I assume?

There's other stuff too like would I boot ofw to update my sysnand (recommended). Or use daybreak as I do with emunand just to stop the wear and tear on the tablet part of my system? Perhaps I'm being too paranoid but I figure these v1 switches are getting going to become rare.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'd be taking on certain risks... And to be honest I'm pretty confident I'd be ok but asked as there is always a certain level of doubt... There's always a pitfall you never spotted no matter how experienced or careful.
good stuff. I’m of the same mindset and avoid crossing the streams at all costs.
However I've noticed as my switch gets older there's other risks like wear on joycons, rails and the power button. My thinking was I'd never need to turn off or use a jig again....
Have you considered a Trinket M0 install? I did one and haven’t thought about RCM ever since…
The cheat manager was something I was wondering about as at the moment I don't have any games installed twice (that's just to save space) but if I did that would be a definite ban? In other words if I left it on in emunand it would still be on in sysnand I assume?
Not a definite ban by any means. It’s super low risk if it‘s just sitting there dormant on your SDCard. Just don’t actively use a cheat in an online game where they are looking for cheaters. I don‘t trust myself to not forget or get confused.
There's other stuff too like would I boot ofw to update my sysnand (recommended).
This is exactly what I do. OFW…100% clean FW upgrade. Zero risk.
Or use daybreak as I do with emunand just to stop the wear and tear on the tablet part of my system? Perhaps I'm being too paranoid but I figure these v1 switches are getting going to become rare.
A certain level of paranoia is healthy…

Reactions: Kallim

Tunaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know we are not suppose to go Online through Nintendo Server. But can we use Wifi to for homebrew? I want to use DBI to check title updates but it can't because I am in Airplane mode.
Post automatically merged:

I know we are not suppose to go Online through Nintendo Server. But can we use Wifi to for homebrew? I want to use DBI to check title updates but it can't because I am in Airplane mode.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Post automatically merged:

Once you have exosphere (blocks serial) and dns:mitm (blocks nintendo servers by name) configured you can turn wifi back on:
https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you! I was able to get that to work!
Look for a file called emummc.tx and put it in the hosts folder. You can rename to sysmmc.txt to block the sysnand servers or default.txt for both (or even use both files) I'd still delete the serial but only in emunand though I use incognito.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c