New 3ds xl Hinge Screen side to side

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Zeldalife89, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Zeldalife89
    OP

Zeldalife89 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hey everyone

just got my first 3ds xl ever its fine and all but got one issue with it...at the hinge there is this very small gap and because of this gap i can move my screen left and right side to side im not sure if this is normal?

2. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    It happens to me too, never broke my N3DS XL , you're fine don't worry about it

3. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    perfectly normal. My majora 3ds and hyrule 3ds do it. It's weird, but I'm just assuming it has something to do with giving some cables/parts room during assembly.

Last edited by osaka35, Oct 4, 2016
  4. Zeldalife89
    OP

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Oh so its not a defect? If i return it i get another with the same problem? Its only few days old and i rly dont want to return it. if its normal i wont

5. Zeldalife89
    OP

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    I guess ill keep it if you all have the same thing???

6. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    It's on all 3ds's. It is probably there to allow better movement of the screen and other things. The o3ds (small, not sure about the xl) has a smaller gap compared to the n3ds though...

7. Zeldalife89
    OP

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Well i exchanged it and idk if i should be mad or happy because my old one had loose hinge it would slide if i hold it sideways the screen will slide by it self so i exchanged it got a new one the hing is perfect its even the quit hing with no wobble but my old screen was ips tn and now with the new ita dual tn :( for the rest its perfect with the new hinge but idk should i be happy or mad would u guys rather have a very loose screen thats ips top tn botton or would u have quite hinge no wobble but is dual tn hmm

8. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    the gap is normal. its in all 3dsxls that ive ever had my hands on

9. Zeldalife89
    OP

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Well the thing is i exchanged it the new one is much better with the hinge so my old one was defently loose but my old one had a better display it had an IPS screen the new one with the good hinges is TN screen and i cant exchange anymore but does ips vs tn rly matter ? If not ill be very happy with it but i heard ips is much better? But i didnt want the loose hinges ; (

10. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    IPS screens have better colors from what I can tell, and they don't get that color inversion wash when looking at them from an angle. Did you trade for another XL or did you get a regular one? I thought all XLs had top IPS screens because it's supposed to allow other people watch you play, but I guess I could be wrong.

11. Zeldalife89
    OP

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Its a new 3ds xl its tn but my old one was ips but was very loose damn now im still unhappy and i cant return it a third time

12. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    My small N3DS doesn't have this issue but my sister's has. It all comes down to luck. Just like getting an actually working C-stick.

13. Zeldalife89
    OP

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Thing is the one i returned had a better ips display the one i got now is tn display and im kinda mad about it but i had to return jt it was super loose

14. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2013
    Iceland
    If you will search for an issue you will find an issue. So stop worry and enjoy your 3ds. Tn or ips doesn't really make big difference as you always hold your 3ds in front of you. (Except for few games like pacman when you need to tilt the screen ). And i personally don't have any problems with the old 3ds screen. i have also new 3ds with ips screen and i hardly can see any difference. For me the big issues are dead pixels or scanlines like on the psp 3000 (hate it).

15. Zeldalife89
    OP

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    The thing is i had a ips display i gotta now settle for tn wouldnt you be mad? Also isnt ips prone to more scanlines? But why did nintendo screw me i was happy with my ips but the hinge ; ( now i got a perfect one with a worse quality screen for the same price not cool but is there a huge difference between ips and tn? Other that angles so if i had both side by side and looked straight on could i tell big time?

16. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2013
    Iceland
    The only difference i can see is that on the ips screen the pixels are more visible and i dont like it on the other hand the 3d on the ips is little more crisp. But trust me once you start play you will forget about it. You know until i read about ips and tn screens i didn't even know that i have 2 3ds with different screens.

17. Zeldalife89
    OP

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    You have a tn 3ds and a ips 3ds? can you tell big difference if u put them next to each other?

18. nzmrmnr

nzmrmnr Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2016
    Malaysia
    I had a TN Panel and IPS Panel and yes, i can see the difference but that shouldn't stop you to actually enjoy it.

19. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    There's a difference between TN and IPS panels, but it's not a big enough difference, as far as I'm concerned. Plus, TN panels use less power, so there's that.

My New 3DS XL also has the sliding hinge, as they all do and even my original 3DS has it too albeit to a lesser extent, but it shouldn't be so loose that it just slides back and forth when you tilt the console, so it's probably good that you got it exchanged.

20. Zeldalife89
    OP

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yeah if i rotate to console i would hear and feel the top screen slide down also by just adjusting the volume will also move the screen so i know it was loose the one i got now the new one has the tight n wobble hinge but my screen is tn when i had ips:(

So you are basicly saying you would rather have TN screen with perfect hinges? or
    A very loose IPS that slides?