Gaming Is it cheating or not?

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I use an R4i and I'm currently playing all Pokémon games to have Pokédex completed legitimately. But I cannot transfer them over to XY/ORAS because it would need an original retail cartridge, same goes from DPPt to BW. For you, does transferring Pokémon using .pk6 files count as cheating?

Phya

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use an R4i and I'm currently playing all Pokémon games to have Pokédex completed legitimately. But I cannot transfer them over to XY/ORAS because it would need an original retail cartridge, same goes from DPPt to BW. For you, does transferring Pokémon using .pk6 files count as cheating?
Not really, it's not editing the save in any way, so I guess it's not cheating..

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Not really, it's not editing the save in any way, so I guess it's not cheating..
>Transferring .pk6 files to its save
>not save editing

lmao, of course this is save editing :P
As for if it is cheat or not, it depends on what you think, some people will think it is while other wouldn't... Technically it is, from Ninty's point of view, since you use an unauthorised program to alter your Pokémon save, but if you feel like it's not cheating, then just do it! :D

Reactions: Deleted User

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
this is a matter of own opinion than anything else...
if you are asking if thoose pokemon will be flagged or found out that you cheated, don't worry, since you didn't modified them they are completely legal..
if you are asking about our opinion about if using this method is concidered cheating..
well... the only differences are that you made a shortcut bypassing the long sequences of transfer 1 or 6 pokemon at a time,
you also didn't played the impossible to loose mini games, so yeah.. it's kinda cheating because you accelerated the proccess...

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not really cheating. I was lucky, as I was able to trade all my Gen IV/V pokemon to a friend a few days before the online services went down. But as currently it's impossible, then it's the only option (aside from of course, buying a legit copy of the game, trading all those pokemon one after another for ages, and then getting it to X/Y through Pokemon Bank)

Phya

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
>not save editing

As for if it is cheat or not, it depends on what you think, some people will think it is while other wouldn't... Technically it is, from Ninty's point of view, since you use an unauthorised program to alter your Pokémon save, but if you feel like it's not cheating, then just do it! :D
But not adding any Pokemon, so not save editing in that way

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I don't consider this cheating at all.
Altering a Pokemon to have the perfect IV/movesets is what I would call cheating.
How is it not save editing? lol

I personally don't consider it cheating and I bet most players wouldn't.

Nintendo would, but that's because you're cheating them out of the $5/year they ask to provide an inferior service...
>not save editing

Not really cheating. I was lucky, as I was able to trade all my Gen IV/V pokemon to a friend a few days before the online services went down. But as currently it's impossible, then it's the only option (aside from of course, buying a legit copy of the game, trading all those pokemon one after another for ages, and then getting it to X/Y through Pokemon Bank)
But not adding any Pokemon, so not save editing in that way
PEOPLE, BUT HE IS NOT PLAYING THE MINI GAMES!!
he is basically time traveling\speed up >:C

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For you, does transferring Pokémon using .pk6 files count as cheating?
ANYTHING UNINTENDED BY DEVELOPER IS CHEATING.
Please do not justify cheating. If you did not play the game and earn everything intionally as planned by game producers, it is cheating, this includes.

• Rom hacks
  • Save editing
  • Save data sharing
  • Glitches (Although debate between programer fault for lack of fixes and player fault for exploiting it such as ar spider)
  • EXPLOITS (Yes i just mentioned it but is my list)
  • Using any unlicensed tools to achieve specific goals. (game genie, action replay, game shark, code breaker, gold finger, etc.)
Bottom line, if you got something with help of some other tool, you cheated. To be honest is no means of justifing cheating. If you are asking if nintendo considers it cheating? HECK YES. You aren't using their stuff as intended.

Now i am not shaming anyone who uses mods or cheats in games. I love my game genie and action replays and game sharks. But in modern times is more of a problem especially with online interactions in games. It could get you reported and banned from service. For games with no online, is perfectly fine as long as you keep it personal. Fact, i cheated on my kingdom hearts 2 final mix to beat the lingering will on critial mode. Those conditions are unfair if you fought him before. :P

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is how I see it. While it is technically cheating due to using a 3rd party tool, it won't harm the game for anyone else in anyway. If you legitimately obtained every pokemon in your saves and want to transfer them, go ahead. It won't harm anyone else. As these were legitimately obtained, they are like any other pokemon. Forms of cheating that harms the experience for other players is generating perfect iv pokemon which gives you an unfair advantage. You aren't doing that here. You won't be banned, nothing bad is going to happen if you transfer your pokemon.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have to ask, then yes, it is cheating.

if you use methods not intended by the game designer, then you are cheating.
even if you have to use them because you use a flashcart to cheat the game designers out of their money.
While i agree with this statement since i said it myself, perhaps keep the talk of money to minimal. I don't think he needs to be scared straight, just a little Jimminy cricket conscience to decide what to do. ;)

I think he just wanna cheat the game not the company out of money. Still you are right. If you need to ask, you probably think is wrong. Then you maybe have the idea. But to answer yes, please see previous comment for more info.

Again, i am not shaming anyone who cheats, to be honest, some games are brutally unfair and push players to very limits of their capibility and perhaps not what you wanted from the game, so people do these things. Is pokemon a great game? Sure but if you can find ways to level your pokemon easier and faster lets say for example the missingno glitch with rare candies, so you can catch powerful rare pokemon and use the infinite rare candy or master balls to get stuff done faster and easier, no, is not intended is cheating but it make your game easier to play. Is up to you to decide what you wanna do.

Cheats like that are not okay for online gaming, cause you play with others who are playing fair and is disrespectful just like ragequitting. If you do it for personal reasons then fine. People cheat when they create stuff like super jump in mario, skip levels, and such, is all for fun and unique expereiences. Cheats to make game harder or easier, alter game play is just expermienting, basic reprogramming games to a more appealing level. I never play sonic on genesis without debug :P

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Technically, it is still cheating because you're using third party means. Everything but playing "legit" is cheating. Editing in perfect IVs also saves time and is cheating as well just a "stronger kind" of cheating if you want to compare them but players probably won't mind your "minor cheating" so it seems like it's not cheating but it is :P

Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza,
Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Transferring Pokémon with a third-party tool is not cheating since it doesn't result in an unfair advantage. Transferring Pokémon between generations is a natural part of the game, and it's functionally irrelevant how you do it, particularly when you're locked out of doing it the kosher way.

Reactions: DinohScene

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM