PS1/2 I just bought PS2 slim 90004

vasil3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Hello! Today I bought a PS2 90004 from 2009. I'm pretty happy with it. Тhe previous owner told me that the console was chipped. When I started the PS, the screen displays 4 red buttons with exclamation marks on them and written a message about being unable to load config file.
Than I saw this video:

..and the problem was solved!

But now I have a question how can I take advantage of the fact that the console is chipped and upload new games?

Thank you in advance!

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where do you want to upload the games to?
You can play burned PS1 and PS2 games from all regions and you could use your modchips feature to launch homebrews from USB (the menu you saw).
From there you could launch PS2 games from USB (which is slow) and otlver the Network which is faster than USB but not faster than the disc drive - by using OPL.

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello! Today I bought a PS2 90004 from 2009. I'm pretty happy with it. Тhe previous owner told me that the console was chipped. When I started the PS, the screen displays 4 red buttons with exclamation marks on them and written a message about being unable to load config file.
Than I saw this video:

..and the problem was solved!

But now I have a question how can I take advantage of the fact that the console is chipped and upload new games?

Thank you in advance!

Unless it has an HDD connected via USB, or is connected to a computer via the ethernet port, you can't really upload games to your PS2. A chip will essentially only let you play burnt media on the PS2, and is, in my opinion, not the best way to play backups on your PS2 due to the amount of burnable discs you would need (the life of your laser may also degrade in the process). What it does do, however, is making it really easy to create an FMCB memory card (compatibility list here, and it seems you can use your modchip if it isn't initially compatible) -- this will let you play games from USB (although this isn't really recommended, as it relies on USB1.1 speeds, and the game performance might suffer) or SMB via OPL

Edit: Seems I was ninja'd

Last edited by Snomannen_kalle,
Reactions: Alexander1970

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless it has an HDD connected via USB, or is connected to a computer via the ethernet port, you can't really upload games to your PS2. A chip will essentially only let you play burnt media on the PS2, and is, in my opinion, not the best way to play backups on your PS2 due to the amount of burnable discs you would need (the life of your laser may also degrade in the process). What it does do, however, is making it really easy to create an FMCB memory card (compatibility list here, and it seems you can use your modchip if it isn't initially compatible) -- this will let you play games from USB (although this isn't really recommended, as it relies on USB1.1 speeds, and the game performance might suffer) or SMB via OPL

Edit: Seems I was ninja'd

He doesn't need FMCB, his modchip has the ability to launch ELF files from a USB device.

Last edited by FR0ZN,

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
He doesn't need FMCB, his modchip has the ability to launch ELF files from a USB device.
Fair enough -- although I have a Matrix Inifity modchip in my PS2, I am not very familiar with its capabilities in terms of launching homebrew. Does it allow to use the PS2 OSDSYS interface? If not, then I suppose using FMCB or not will be a matter of preference, that is, if you like to run homebrew from the menu or not

Reactions: Alexander1970

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough -- although I have a Matrix Inifity modchip in my PS2, I am not very familiar with its capabilities in terms of launching homebrew. Does it allow to use the PS2 OSDSYS interface? If not, then I suppose using FMCB or not will be a matter of preference, that is, if you like to run homebrew from the menu or not

Not in OSDSYS, but in the menu he mentioned in his post, which should suffice to launch ELFs ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay