Gaming Good Video Solution for HDTV in 2020 ?

Segasensei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello there

So, Some months ago, my almost 15 years old HDTV broke and I had to get another one. Problem is, it doesn't have component imput, and in my location, I found 0 Component compatible TVs for sale...

I basically have HDMI and Composite RCA only, and no mean of getting YUV (or Component in English) where I live.

I read that Wii2HDMI solutions are really bad and dual Wii seems a bit pricey...

The only thing I want is true 480p signal on my TV... Any Ideas ?

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I basically have HDMI and Composite RCA only, and no mean of getting YUV (or Component in English) where I live.

what are the possibilities of connection on your television ??
I believe that anwers your question.

As for best hdmi solution I'm not sure. I've tried looking for stuff myself and only found the wii2hdmi 480p non-upscaling versions, though I've heard their quality have gotten worse or it's possible to end up with a bad one. It really is hard to find something good for that gen. I believe the new RAD2x has a PS2 version so I guess a Wii wouldn't be too far down the line.

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Have you tried that one yourself?
No but the first adapter is recommended by Bob from retrorgb a guru from retro gaming and the OSSC is worlwide known for be the best scanline multiplier i want to buy it because it has a lot of video options for 240p content and for 480p it has a option to double to 960p and it seems to looks super sharp

Reactions: Zense

Segasensei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It seems that you live in France, so you may have SCART solution ?

Yes I do live in France, the thing is, Péritel (SCART) inputs are no more mandatory for TVs to have since 4 or 5 years, and my TV is really recent and doesn't have a SCART imput. I believe it would work on the OSSC but money is a bit on the short side for me, at least for now.

The cheapest solution buy this and a component cable

the best and more expensive buy a OSSC

Well, the thing is, my TV does have HDMI inputs but no component y/pb/pr inputs, at all, so not happening with this one I'm afraid.

Concerning Wii2HDMI, I heard picture quality is almost the same as composite, and composite looks terrible on my HDTV. I guess I'll wait for RAD2X for the Wii.

Last edited by Segasensei,

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes I do live in France, the thing is, Péritel (SCART) inputs are no more mandatory for TVs to have since 4 or 5 years, and my TV is really recent and doesn't have a SCART imput. I believe it would work on the OSSC but money is a bit on the short side for me, at least for now.

Well, the thing is, my TV does have HDMI inputs but no component y/pb/pr inputs, at all, so not happening with this one I'm afraid.

Concerning Wii2HDMI, I heard picture quality is almost the same as composite, and composite looks terrible on my HDTV. I guess I'll wait for RAD2X for the Wii.

I already used this kind of adapter on my plasma screen :
https://www.amazon.fr/Expresstech-Convertisseur-Péritel-Coaxial-Adaptateur/dp/B078WMDMXN/ref=asc_df_B078WMDMXN/?tag=googshopfr-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=228090165499&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11139610861603869865&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9040892&hvtargid=pla-424816136577&psc=1
for a PS1.
The quality wasn't as good as a real HDMI output, but still very good.

Segasensei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Segasensei You get it wrong you need to use a component cable on your Wii then connnect it to the OSSC and the OSSC output a HDMI to your TV.

Oh I see, sorry for my misunderstanding !

I already used this kind of adapter on my plasma screen :

for a PS1.
The quality wasn't as good as a real HDMI output, but still very good.

I'll definitely check all these options out, thank you all !

Reactions: Zense and banjo2

HitBattousai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use this HDMI adapter and it works well for me: https://www.amazon.com/PORTHOLIC-Co...o+hdmi&qid=1580969298&sprefix=portholi&sr=8-3

And if you want to go over the top with it, it'll cost you $100, but the Marseille MClassic I think works with this adapter(and probably other Wii HDMI adapters), which would allow you to upscale your Wii to 1080p. I don't have one to verify that personally though, just heard it does work.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might try just buying a wii u. I think wii is upscaled to 720p. I own a framemeister, but that's more for my ps2's ps1 games though. I didn't buy an ossc, because it's not compatible with every tv. however, it's about $100-150 less than the framemeister. I think framemeister is only as expensive as it is, because it's been discontinued and it must be imported from Japan. solaris, the cheapest place to buy one -- their supplier has no more, so expect it to be even more expensive now.

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you might try just buying a wii u. I think wii is upscaled to 720p. I own a framemeister, but that's more for my ps2's ps1 games though. I didn't buy an ossc, because it's not compatible with every tv. however, it's about $100-150 less than the framemeister. I think framemeister is only as expensive as it is, because it's been discontinued and it must be imported from Japan. solaris, the cheapest place to buy one -- their supplier has no more, so expect it to be even more expensive now.

The Wii U can upscale to 720p or 1080p, but doesn't necessarily do it very well. You're better off leaving it at 480p and letting the display (or an mClassic, mCable or other upscaling HDMI cable) do the upscaling. I have seen reports on here that the picture quality is better on an original Wii. The main advantage is that it supports HDMI out of the box (and plays Wii U games, of course : ) ). So it's really a matter of whether a Wii U or a decent Wii HDMI adapter is cheaper.

Reactions: Draxikor and Zense

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A Wii U can be had for pretty cheap if you look at the right places. There's even a gamepad free hakchi if that's important. Just leave the signal at 480p for the best wii wicture.

TheThief

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by TheThief,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: