Zaraf

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Can someone who knows how to search for codes using GoHANmem 2.0 please provide a short tutorial on how to do so? Whenever I try, the game always crashes, and I have no idea what to set the search ranges, etc. And the few instances I've seen someone explain how to do it, it's extremely insufficient in explanation.

Gorre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most complicated part of goHANmem is the Normal tab, which is probably where you're crashing, and confused. It took a post somewhere deep within a WoFF thread to figure it out myself.

Basically you press Circle over where it says Block. Pressing Triangle /anywhere/ on that screen afterwards cycles to the game's next memory block. Involving a search either outside where the game stores memory or across multiple blocks is most likely going to crash your game, so picking search ranges at random is not going to turn out well. Make sure you Block Scan before doing searches. **Note** - this doesn't apply to the Sample tab, goHANmem scans and searches the entire memory every time, and practically never causes a crash. So I don't know why searching across different blocks on Normal causes crashes.

The only way you'll get results to show up on the right side is if your results are 12 or less. If you get stuck with 13+ then you can start playing with/narrowing the search range until there are some options to work with. Again make sure you don't go outside that particular block of memory. Once you have visible results you have 4 options. Save DB code, Modify, Lock, Jump To.

Save DB code - saves all the search result addresses to a code called DB_(your Change to Value #) - You can use this even if there are 50 results and you want to go through them later to see what's what.

Modify - you can use this to blanket apply your Change to Value (DEC) across all the search results and hope something works. Alternatively, you can press Circle on the search results column to apply changes one address at a time.

[Modify] / Lock ||| Modify / [Lock] - Select [Modify] if you want to one-time apply the ChangetoValue on a search result. Select [Lock] if you want to "lock" a value on a search result, for example, your current available HP, which always changes when you take damage etc.

JumpTo - This option only comes up when you press Circle on the search results and you highlight a memory location. Takes you to the HEX table where you can investigate whether this result looks to be what you're after. If say you're searching for HP, you can look at the HEX table and see if your SP / MP / other stats happen to be right there close by. **Note**- Pressing Triangle to JumpTo a result in the Normal tab will cycle the Search Range to the next memory block and wipe your custom range if you were using it.

The Codes page has 3 columns. 1) Any memory locks from search results. 2) Any memory locks from your code list. 3) Code list.

1 Byte = FF - cap of 255
2 Byte = FF FF - cap of 65,535
3 Byte = FF FF FF - cap of 16,777,215
4 Byte = FF FF FF FF - cap of 4.2billion

I'm not sure what to say about Float and Auto search options on the Sample Tab, they're there. Maybe someone can shed light on what's special about those.

Last edited by Gorre,

Zaraf

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The most complicated part of goHANmem is the Normal tab, which is probably where you're crashing, and confused. It took a post somewhere deep within a WoFF thread to figure it out myself.

Basically you press Circle over where it says Block. Pressing Triangle /anywhere/ on that screen afterwards cycles to the game's next memory block. Involving a search either outside where the game stores memory or across multiple blocks is most likely going to crash your game, so picking search ranges at random is not going to turn out well. Make sure you Block Scan before doing searches. **Note** - this doesn't apply to the Sample tab, goHANmem scans and searches the entire memory every time, and practically never causes a crash. So I don't know why searching across different blocks on Normal causes crashes.

The only way you'll get results to show up on the right side is if your results are 12 or less. If you get stuck with 13+ then you can start playing with/narrowing the search range until there are some options to work with. Again make sure you don't go outside that particular block of memory. Once you have visible results you have 4 options. Save DB code, Modify, Lock, Jump To.

Save DB code - saves all the search result addresses to a code called DB_(your Change to Value #) - You can use this even if there are 50 results and you want to go through them later to see what's what.

Modify - you can use this to blanket apply your Change to Value (DEC) across all the search results and hope something works. Alternatively, you can press Circle on the search results column to apply changes one address at a time.

[Modify] / Lock ||| Modify / [Lock] - Select [Modify] if you want to one-time apply the ChangetoValue on a search result. Select [Lock] if you want to "lock" a value on a search result, for example, your current available HP, which always changes when you take damage etc.

JumpTo - This option only comes up when you press Circle on the search results and you highlight a memory location. Takes you to the HEX table where you can investigate whether this result looks to be what you're after. If say you're searching for HP, you can look at the HEX table and see if your SP / MP / other stats happen to be right there close by. **Note**- Pressing Triangle to JumpTo a result in the Normal tab will cycle the Search Range to the next memory block and wipe your custom range if you were using it.

The Codes page has 3 columns. 1) Any memory locks from search results. 2) Any memory locks from your code list. 3) Code list.

1 Byte = FF - cap of 255
2 Byte = FF FF - cap of 65,535
3 Byte = FF FF FF - cap of 16,777,215
4 Byte = FF FF FF FF - cap of 4.2billion

I'm not sure what to say about Float and Auto search options on the Sample Tab, they're there. Maybe someone can shed light on what's special about those.

Awesome, great info! I'll try that out. What is the difference between Sample and Normal tabs? I tried sample before, and found some values no problem, but then nothing seemed to change when I tried changing values. So I was hoping Normal would work and there is where I ran into problems.

Gorre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, great info! I'll try that out. What is the difference between Sample and Normal tabs? I tried sample before, and found some values no problem, but then nothing seemed to change when I tried changing values. So I was hoping Normal would work and there is where I ran into problems.
Sample works just like I noted, it scans the entire game's memory storage for possible matches. It also lets you search for Auto and Float, but as above I'm not sure exactly what to make of those two. Normal is for searching specific blocks at a slightly more time friendly manner than Sample, and allows you to customize or fine-tune the search ranges within a specific block.

As far as nothing working when you try to apply changes, I think several games got coded to try to be Game Genie proof, or resistant/immune to cheating in general. Sometimes codes work and you can save your game to make permanent changes, sometimes you have to lock parts of memory every time you play, sometimes you just wind up getting nowhere.

You can always try save editing with rincheat - Slade seems to be making decent headway with that. There's also the original GoHAN which I have no clue how reliable it is, or ftp your saves to pc and hex edit there.

Zaraf

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I started by trying to edit Dragon Quest Builders and trying to find the same codes that have already been found. Just so that I can get the process down. So I know the game is good.

So with the hex editing a game save, how do you figure out what does what? In Cheat Engine, you compare values to do the searching, but what do you search in hex editing a save file?

Gorre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't help you there, the most I've done with hex editing saves is cutting off the header&footer on gamefaqs gameshark saves to use them with mGBA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)