Hacking Easiest boot menu for moonshell2?

superflysocal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used AceKard 2i and r4i cards. For my 3rd card (for dsi) i decided upon M3i card. This will be for a 6 year old. I quickly trying to learn what Sakura, Kaura, and iTouch is all about, including quad boot quint boot and hex boot. I have come to realize I just need an easy boot menu that will allow me to select between games and moonshell2. For games, it can use load up sakura. Other media players i have tried will not play some of my movies that are compatible with moonshell2 only.

I would settle on running moonshell from the M3 main menu (the one with a rectangle on the first row, then two squares on the second row for sakura and touchpod, and a rectangle on the third row...is this Kaura?).

What is your suggestion for an easy boot menu. I don't want to use anything that will require holding down any buttons to boot anything.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
superflysocal said:
I have used AceKard 2i and r4i cards. For my 3rd card (for dsi) i decided upon M3i card. This will be for a 6 year old. I quickly trying to learn what Sakura, Kaura, and iTouch is all about, including quad boot quint boot and hex boot. I have come to realize I just need an easy boot menu that will allow me to select between games and moonshell2. For games, it can use load up sakura. Other media players i have tried will not play some of my movies that are compatible with moonshell2 only.

I would settle on running moonshell from the M3 main menu (the one with a rectangle on the first row, then two squares on the second row for sakura and touchpod, and a rectangle on the third row...is this Kaura?).

What is your suggestion for an easy boot menu. I don't want to use anything that will require holding down any buttons to boot anything.

Kaura is the firmware with all the boxes.

Also, you should know, right now Kaura doesn't really have good homebrew support at all (the reason is unknown, hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update) and has save corruption problems when running some roms (this is for Kaura only, again people are hoping for it to be fixed in the next update).

So, until Kaura gets out of beta I'd suggest using regular Sakura + Touchpod, or setting it to auto boot to Sakura in Kaura. If you want to make it easy for your six year old to get to moonshell, there's a menu that comes up everytime Sakura boots and it has a recently run list and a "Applications" list. This applications list is kind of for homebrews or roms that are used often. So you could add moonshell to this list, and when Sakura boots up you goto the applications tab and tap moonshell.

Right now the whole M3 "scene" is a little mixed up because we just recently got the hex boot and Kaura.

(Also, the quad boot is a seperate firmware package for people with ram expansions. It's suggested that you just go with the hex boot if you're wanting a large multi firmware setup)

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So iSakuReal/my kernel switcher can boot DSBooter nds without RAM.

BTW my modified hbmenu (download from moonshell2tools site) can dldi-patch statically with pressing R button. If patched statically you can boot it directly from Kaura.

superflysocal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xenon++ said:
So iSakuReal/my kernel switcher can boot DSBooter nds without RAM.

BTW my modified hbmenu (download from moonshell2tools site) can dldi-patch statically with pressing R button. If patched statically you can boot it directly from Kaura.

does it mean i have to press r everytime i want to run it or just the first time?

superflysocal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
superflysocal said:

Kaura is the firmware with all the boxes.

Also, you should know, right now Kaura doesn't really have good homebrew support at all (the reason is unknown, hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update) and has save corruption problems when running some roms (this is for Kaura only, again people are hoping for it to be fixed in the next update).

btw, i think the applications tab is the "recently ran list". There is an "accessories" tab which is what i was trying to do by putting it in /launch

So, until Kaura gets out of beta I'd suggest using regular Sakura + Touchpod, or setting it to auto boot to Sakura in Kaura. If you want to make it easy for your six year old to get to moonshell, there's a menu that comes up everytime Sakura boots and it has a recently run list and a "Applications" list. This applications list is kind of for homebrews or roms that are used often. So you could add moonshell to this list, and when Sakura boots up you goto the applications tab and tap moonshell.

Right now the whole M3 "scene" is a little mixed up because we just recently got the hex boot and Kaura.

(Also, the quad boot is a seperate firmware package for people with ram expansions. It's suggested that you just go with the hex boot if you're wanting a large multi firmware setup)

so how does one add an item to the application list?
i tries putting moonshl2_directBoot.nds in system/m3sakura/launch but it didn't work. I can run moonshell2 fine if i put moonshl2.nds and /moonsh2 folder n root and run the .nds from sakura. do i need to put moonshl2_directboot.nds and the /moonshl2 folder in system/m3sakura//launch? is it becuase i am using quint boot?

superflysocal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, i read your thread on hbmenu, but not sure about how to use it for my purpose. I don't need to launch commercial roms on moonshell (for now), i just need to run moonshell2 from kaura (don't really need to run anything else from kaura, will be launching games from sakura). Can you give me more step by step on how to run moonshell2 from kaura?

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
superflysocal said:
ok, i read your thread on hbmenu, but not sure about how to use it for my purpose. I don't need to launch commercial roms on moonshell (for now), i just need to run moonshell2 from kaura (don't really need to run anything else from kaura, will be launching games from sakura). Can you give me more step by step on how to run moonshell2 from kaura?

Right now there is no way to run almost any homebrew on Kaura. Some people believe (including me) that it's because the forgot to include the auto DLDI engine for Kaura (DLDI is a system that makes sure homebrew can work on any flashcart without compatbility issues).

Right now it'd probably be easier to make Kaura boot directly to Sakura (goto the options, and choose the big Sakura box).

As for your applications list question, I think you'd need to put the moonshl2 folder in the launch folder as well.

If that doesn't work, what you could also do is get a program called DS Kiosk, which is a homebrew launcher that will easily launch any homebrew app through Sakura.

There's alot of things to learn at first, but you'll get used to it all and know most of it in a week or so
smile.gif

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
As for your applications list question, I think you'd need to put the moonshl2 folder in the launch folder as well.

If that doesn't work, what you could also do is get a program called DS Kiosk, which is a homebrew launcher that will easily launch any homebrew app through Sakura.

There's alot of things to learn at first, but you'll get used to it all and know most of it in a week or so
smile.gif
I think the moonshl2 folder should always be in the root of the mSD. If you have .nds files in the Launch folder already, I think it only displays the first 5 files (in alphabetical order? I can't remember) in the Launch folder.

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeltaBurnt said:
Right now there is no way to run almost any homebrew on Kaura. Some people believe (including me) that it's because the forgot to include the auto DLDI engine for Kaura (DLDI is a system that makes sure homebrew can work on any flashcart without compatbility issues).
So let's DLDIpatch statically (to file, not to memory) with my modified hbmenu...

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
DeltaBurnt said:

smile.gif
I think the moonshl2 folder should always be in the root of the mSD. If you have .nds files in the Launch folder already, I think it only displays the first 5 files (in alphabetical order? I can't remember) in the Launch folder.

Yes I know that it should always be in the root, but I think the booting nds file looks for the moonshl2 folder locally and not at a exact point.

And the reason for putting it in the launch folder is so that it always shows up in the applications list (so if his kid plays 5 games through Sakura then he/she wouldn't know where to find the moonshell2 launching rom).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s