Homebrew Debug mod crashing on console but not Dolphin

Poketard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically, it's a gamecube game being ran through Nintendont, but I digress. I've been working on, with a team, a pretty major mod for a game. And while it totally works fine on Dolphin, one small feature causes it to crash on console, and I am completely perplexed as to why. Would there be any way to at least get something like a crash log/stack trace of the crash or anything?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Presuming the engine isn’t being modified.

I would first try the game through MIOS if you can, i.e. check if Nintendon’t is at fault.

Does the game contain a native ‘debug mode’ of some kind which displays information on screen? I know some games can have it activated via action replay, etc.

Maybe if you have access to a USB Gecko you can use Nintendont’s WiiRD debugger.

Alternatively, maybe check Dolphin’s logs to see if it’s detecting an issue but able to handle the error.

Poketard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I actually can't run through MIOS because I only have access to a Wii U.
Unfortunately, we have no debug mode known of.
No USB Gecko.
Dolphin's log isn't reporting anything out of the ordinary, either.

Poketard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update on another attempted method:
Wrote a crash handler that wrote a crash log to the memory card. Again, works in Dolphin, Nintendont is a black box so I don't know if it's just not executing, or if it's just not updating the memory card file. Either way, I am frustrated.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update on another attempted method:
Wrote a crash handler that wrote a crash log to the memory card. Again, works in Dolphin, Nintendont is a black box so I don't know if it's just not executing, or if it's just not updating the memory card file. Either way, I am frustrated.
I believe that Nintendont is actually open source, not black box. Might be obtuse to people not used to its codebase, however.

A debugging situation where you have no access to original hardware or official backwards compatibility isn't exactly ideal. No amount of in-game crash handlers will help if your forward compatibility layer (shim? Whatever.) is crashing.

Likely isn't any way around getting a Wii and a USB Gecko, unless Dolphin is so accurate that it can emulate Nintendont reliably now.

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Dolphin will often let some things slide which end up being fatal on a real wii. If you can isolate the thing thats crashing it you might be able to determine if its a memory issue by running it separately or a violation of a rule by stepping through it.

Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol