Hacking Question Changing payload on RCM-X86

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So,quick question. I have a cheap aliexpress dongle to use as a payload injector, and seeing as I intend to change over to atmosphere the payload has to be changed. The instructions provided with the dongle directed me to this site, but it hasn't been updated in years.
The question now is whether these payloads will still work when my switch is updated to probably 12.0.0 ? (instincts say yes, since the SXOS one still works on 11.0.0, but I figure it's best to be sure)

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
It's the other way round : you need to inject the right payload in order to start the CFW on a 12.0.0 firmware.
Atmosphere runs on 12.0.0 but you need to inject the right fusee-primary payload.
That can all be found here :
https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases

That site you refer to says 'RCM-X86 chip is a trinket M0 mod chip'.
I think there are several topics here on how to update the trinket M0.

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, what I'm trying to do is use the SD_reload uf2 in order to load new payloads from SD root, but at that point it gives me an error (err! RCM X86 in red letters). (Switching over to atmosphere, piece of cake. This however, is bashing my head against a wall.)

Atmosphere itself though works fine (TegraRcmSmash pushes the payload without issue, I just want a small portable solution for on the go).

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So,quick question. I have a cheap aliexpress dongle to use as a payload injector, and seeing as I intend to change over to atmosphere the payload has to be changed. The instructions provided with the dongle directed me to this site, but it hasn't been updated in years.
The question now is whether these payloads will still work when my switch is updated to probably 12.0.0 ? (instincts say yes, since the SXOS one still works on 11.0.0, but I figure it's best to be sure)

Just use the payload on the modchip to load another version of Hekate to load into what ever you want, no point of updating the one on the chip.

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just use the payload on the modchip to load another version of Hekate to load into what ever you want, no point of updating the one on the chip.
Unfortunately, I'm not using emmc, so I couldn't find a way to do so. Still, I figured it out. I had to place another file (besides the payload) on my SD, and now it can load the necessary payload from the SD. Thanks for the help everyone :D .

Last edited by nasune,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I'm not using emmc, so I couldn't find a way to do so. Still, I figured it out. I had to place another file (besides the payload) on my SD, and now it can load the necessary payload from the SD. Thanks for the help everyone :D .

I mean it is pretty simple just use the hekate.uf2 to autoboot a different version of hekate or a payload of your choice, you could update the uf2 on the modchip but you still need to config it to boot a certain payload.

Reactions: HollowGrams

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I mean it is pretty simple just use the hekate.uf2 to autoboot a different version of hekate or a payload of your choice, you could update the uf2 on the modchip but you still need to config it to boot a certain payload.
Would that have worked with SXOS (that was the uf2 it came with originally)? If so, yeah that would probably have been easier.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would that have worked with SXOS (that was the uf2 it came with originally)? If so, yeah that would probably have been easier.

You can load sx os from hekate. Keep in mind sx os only support up to firmware 11.0.0. If the payload on the modchip is something else than hekate you should replace it so it allows you to boot from hekate uf2 to a payload of your choice like another hekate to use that as your bootloader.

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can load sx os from hekate. Keep in mind sx os only support up to firmware 11.0.0. If the payload on the modchip is something else than hekate you should replace it so it allows you to boot from hekate uf2 to a payload of your choice like another hekate to use that as your bootloader.
Yeah, that's what I wanted to do (I'm switching to atmosphere), so I had to find out what payload would work on my dongle (it came with the SXOS payload and I wanted another one).

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: HollowGrams

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It should still work if you did bought a RCM-X86.

Yeah, I don't quite know what to make of it. I tried and it wouldn't work. It could be that it's not actually a RCM-X86, but they just called it that (it is a cheap chinese dongle in the end).

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't quite know what to make of it. I tried and it wouldn't work. It could be that it's not actually a RCM-X86, but they just called it that (it is a cheap chinese dongle in the end).

Well based on the github page picture that is a RCM-X86, mattytrog's payload should work fine with it if you does have an SAMD21 Microntroller.

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well based on the github page picture that is a RCM-X86, mattytrog's payload should work fine with it if you does have an SAMD21 Microntroller.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit distraced by new pokemon snap :D . I've checked and it is a SAMD21 chip, so it should work. It's weird that it doesn't. Still, I have the sd_reload payload pointed to hekate so it still works (albeit through a workaround).

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit distraced by new pokemon snap :D . I've checked and it is a SAMD21 chip, so it should work. It's weird that it doesn't. Still, I have the sd_reload payload pointed to hekate so it still works (albeit through a workaround).

You suppose to be able to get into programming mode, by resetting the modchip and restarting the switch if it was internal, that was the how it update the uf2 on the chip, Im not sure if the same rule apply to if it was used external, cause other samd21 modchip internally follow the same rule to bring up the folder when you are flashing new uf2.

Reactions: Bishock

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You suppose to be able to get into programming mode, by resetting the modchip and restarting the switch if it was internal, that was the how it update the uf2 on the chip, Im not sure if the same rule apply to if it was used external, cause other samd21 modchip internally follow the same rule to bring up the folder when you are flashing new uf2.
Yeah, it's more or less the same way. Press the button twice, and drop the uf2 in the folder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for if
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If you can find enough for if