Anyone else play handhelds more than anything else?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by GameWinner, Jul 14, 2014.

1. GameWinner
    OP

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Or is it just me? okay Japan too
    Starting to feel like my interested has shifted from consoles to handhelds lately. I have a huge PS3 and Wii U backlog right now and I just can't seem to find the energy to play them. But when it comes to games on handhelds, I'm all over it.
    I don't know, maybe it's just me. Anyone else here?

Ozito likes this.

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    I seem to have the exact opposite, I stop playing on my tablet, 3ds, and psp. Once in awhile I will play on my handhelds but then I would jump to my ps3.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Yes but only because I have tetris to keep my hands busy. In terms of actual play aimed at playing games as a primary activity then not so much. That said I set myself up a laptop on my bed and use it to read books which has cut into handheld game time.

At points it has been the case, including points where I had shinier devices to do it on, right now there is not all that much to play. I probably should finish up some of the more obscure parts of the DS library though. No chance of me getting a 3ds/vita outside of the "because I found a broken one to fix" scenario though.

4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    How does it feel to be Japan?

EDIT: Damn you, tiny text.

I'm actually the opposite. I loved by Gameboys, from the color to the Advance, but I eventually just sold in my DS after a few months. There were fine games, but nothing really captivated me, and I preferred to spend my money on "bigger" console experiences.

You and I must be mortal enemies now.

5. GameWinner
    OP

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Feels wrong ignoring everything else for mobile gaming.
    Feels kinda good too...

6. Mylink5

Mylink5 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 22, 2010
    Greece
    Greece,Thessaloniki
    Same here. Countless hours spent on DS and PSP, even though I have a Wii, PS2 and PC

7. Foxchild

Foxchild Goomba Overlord

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    I do most of my gaming on my 3ds anymore, my kids spend a lot more time with the consoles than I do. (the last console game I actually finished was Skyward Sword). I think it's cause I don't usually have time for longer gaming sessions these days, and the portables are more conducive to shorter sessions. Even when I do have time to play longer, I usually turn to the PC for some Xcom or Civ.

syfyTy likes this.
  8. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I was that way for awhile too, and usually go through that in short bursts. Typically im horrible at multitasking so ill be like
    >XBOX, OH TIME TO EVERYTHING ELSE
    >OH 3DS, TIME TO IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE
    >OH VITA, TIME TO IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE
    OH STEAM, you get the idea.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  9. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    I'm more weird than that, I play on handhelds, home consoles, PC or watch anime depending on an internal RNG I have. last week was PS2 time, this week I'm all over my PC again(resuming Touhou, I barely knew th14 game was released) after a month or so of not even checking what games I had installed. I don't even know what make me change from platform to platform, I just follow my instinct.

10. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Yeah i'm the total opposite. During school I played SO many handheld games. Once I graduated, I barely ever touched a handheld. Now I only really play during my lunch and breaks at work, unless it's reeeally good like Zero Escape.

11. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    At the minute its all Xbox but normally it would be ds and now I have a 3ds it will be that lol

12. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Yeah, I play my 3DS and Vita more than PS3/Wii U/PC. Though that's mainly because I spend three hours a day commuting to work. Usually I'm too tired to spend more than hour playing my home consoles after work.

At weekends, the focus is on consoles.

13. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    I'll be on my 3DS and Vita from August until around December or early January or Feburary due to Senran Kagura 2, Bullet Girls, Neptunia U, Kancolle, SSB 3DS, and most likely some other games that TGS may cover.

14. Omer

Omer GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Me too, I now only play on my 3DS, DS , GBA.

15. falconcrest

falconcrest GBAtemp Regular

Oct 20, 2009
    United States
    Underground
    same here;gba/gbc/psp=all time favorites

16. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    I've been all over handhelds lately. Probably due to work though. GBA, NDS and PSP specifically.

17. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I cycle through things, generally caused by a new game/update/DLC that I want to play. I played about a month straight of 3DS between Bravely Default, Conception II, and the digital promo for Pokemon X/Y; another month of Vita stuff between Danganronpa, Ys IV, some sales, and getting addicted to Spelunky again. Played a bunch of Steam stuff between the big sale for Half-Minute Hero and HMH: Second Coming, plus the TF2 update and the summer sale, but mostly since I've moved it's been 360 stuff or MK8.

18. Blebleman

Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Nov 14, 2003
    Canada
    Chiba Prefecture , Japan
    Consoles taking up the TV is what turns me off most of the time. Portables have suspend/resume and that is also amazingly useful.

19. Kayot

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    I can't take my PC with me, so handhelds for when I'm away from home. Plus, it's easier to pocket my handheld when the nurse calls me or it's time to move. I also use my PSPgo as a Bluetooth mp3 player. I've kind of given up on consoles. The only console I still have hooked up is my PS3 and it's spent 99% of it's life as a Media Server. Everything else is emulated on the PC or a PC game.

20. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    lol, not a fanboy?

watch out for the xbox trolls, they lurk everywhere