pelo88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.ace3ds.com/ace-3ds-pro-product.html
I for one love the idea of a DS cart in the same package as a cassetter like the Gateway 3ds is. The switch is a neat idea. I wonder why that switch can't be software driven tho. Anyway, it seems the concept is proven so now I wonder if anyone actually HAS either of these capable of playing 3DS imaged games devices. I know Gateway is due out like this month, and there are sites letting one pay for them either as a pre-order or as an order but with dubious shipping times. I've even seen at least one site allowing one to purchase the ACE3DS Pro for like $95 claiming it'll ship in 24 hours.

Now what worries me about the ACE3DS Pro is the ACE3DS Plus doesn't even work on 3DS's with firmware 6+ and we already know Gateway doesn't. SuperCard and others already have their DS carts working fine on the 6+ firmwares so that doesn't bode well for the ACE3DS's longevity. It's only a matter of time before Nintendo releases games that require updates like they did on the Wii -- a particularly devastating move for the current method of getting 3DS games working. Until the great hackers of this scene can complete the reverse engineering of the entire OS on the 3DS, or at least decode the games that ever are requiring a particular update, those newer games (which will likely be the must have's that have been announced for xmas, like the redux Zelda) will be unplayable backups.

What EXCITES me about the ACE3DS Pro is that SuperCard can do the same damned thing! Everyone says it'd be a new card than the DSTwo since the Gateway 3ds MUST be vastly different. BUT doesn't it make sense that the way the DSTwo presents itself to the 3ds running firmware 6+ AS IF it's a legit game can be leveraged as a means to bypass directly to an image saved in a particular folder on the microSD card, the exact way ACE3DS Pro does it? And can't it be a software switch? Like IF the image exists in a folder named 3DS then THAT'S what it boots to and presents to the 3ds? Then it's only a matter of moving, or better yet softlinking (like ln -s in linux) an image stored elsewhere on the microSD and a nifty little plugin coded on the DSTwo allowing you to switch games (which performs the move or better yet softlink command). Of course the cart will ALWAYS be presenting itself to the 3ds as the last game chosen, but perhaps a failsafe can be put in that resets that folder (either moves back or better yet deletes the softlink) after 10 boots or something. This would be a bit annoying but that number could be customized in that little plugin interface I mentioned -- set to 0 if you ALWAYS want it to boot to that image, forcing you to use a PC or something else to remove it.
OR HECK, forget ALL of that and make the switch a button press on the 3DS! If the game is started and the R and L buttons are pressed, have it reset and reboot the card back to the DSTwo OS!
Either way this would make possible MULTIPLE 3DS images existing on the microSD card with a method to switch between them. Exciting stuff.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you read how they put One "3DS game." The Ace3DS Pro actually just has a single game repackaged in the card and can't be switched out. Also I wouldn't suggest trusting the Ace team all of their cards have been crap clones using hacked version of other kernels.
The Gateway can actually switch between roms via different microSD cards.

allanj87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Ace3ds team wont even mail me back anymore regarding an update for 6.0 :( all i got was "ITS COMMING OK!"

In the Ace3ds vs Supercard i picked Ace3ds, that was a stupid choice :( ill never pick an ace product over anything ever again!!

pelo88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you read how they put One "3DS game." The Ace3DS Pro actually just has a single game repackaged in the card and can't be switched out. Also I wouldn't suggest trusting the Ace team all of their cards have been crap clones using hacked version of other kernels.
The Gateway can actually switch between roms.

It can? Their website seems to suggest otherwise:

04/06/2013
- Is it one microSD per game?
Currently yes.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can? Their website seems to suggest otherwise:

Notice the syntax of the sentence. One microSD per game (which is the cart). It should be "One game per microSD" for it to mean what you think.

Of course it could just be a simple mistake, since they probably don't know much english.

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You seem to be missing the difference. Gateway can (may, as it isn't confirmed) play 1 game of your choice, any rom. The Ace3DS comes with a japanese baseball 3ds game, it was put on in manufacturing, and can not be changed, as such it doesn't support 3ds roms.

pelo88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OOooo. I did not realize that at ALL. Yes the video shows a Japanese 3ds with a Japanese game but I had no clue you ONLY GET THAT GAME. That means it wouldn't work at all for the US since the games are region locked, if it works anything like the Gateway.

or one genuine 3DS Game
didn't speak to me as ONLY one game and ACE manufacture it into the cart. That's REALLY stupid.

They could be doing onboard storage and microSD storage as separate and the microSD works the same as the Gateway does, kind of 2 carts in one package, but I'd be curious as to whether the DS cart (the repackaged ACE3DS Plus) would be able to access the microSD card.

I hope they don't really think people would seriously buy this piece of crap if the 3ds game cannot be changed. They're charging more for it than it costs to pre-order a Gateway and get a regular ACE3DS Plus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi