Homebrew A9LH Luma problems

Mike_77712

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My a9lh luma n3ds keeps turning my games back into gift icons and every time I start smash 3ds it says my save is "unable to be found". Also my home icons and games keep getting rearranged no matter how many times I organize them. Not sure how to fix this :/

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My a9lh luma n3ds keeps turning my games back into gift icons and every time I start smash 3ds it says my save is "unable to be found". Also my home icons and games keep getting rearranged no matter how many times I organize them. Not sure how to fix this :/

A few questions that may help lead in the right direction:

Did you previously have menuhax 3 installed on here?

Are you sysnand only or do you still have an emunand after switching to A9LH?

Are you using the no sd required prerelease A9LH with miniCFW?

Mike_77712

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never installed menuhax on my 3ds I always just used ninjahax before a9lh

I backed up my emunand and restored it to my sysnand so I could use all my saves and such. My emunand is essentially my sysnand now I think

I followed the updated plailect a9lh guide. But my 3ds won't turn on without an sd so I'm assuming I'm not on that version

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I backed up my emunand and restored it to my sysnand so I could use all my saves and such. My emunand is essentially my sysnand now I think

Do you still have the emunand on the SD card or did you manually reformat/repartition to remove that from the SD card? Sometimes you can get the giftwrap coming back if you're accidentally booting between a sysnand and emunand (Holding L on boot) that both still have the same ID. (e.g. you flashed one on top of the other, and you've not done a format on one of them since)

It drove me mad enough that I finally made a full backup of everything on my SD card to my PC, reformatted with EmuNAND9 using the 'no emunand' option in the 3DS to remove the partition, then copied all of my data back to the now blank SD card again. Now I have only sysnand, and there's no more pocket-booting of the EmuNAND.

Mike_77712

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you still have the emunand on the SD card or did you manually reformat/repartition to remove that from the SD card? Sometimes you can get the giftwrap coming back if you're accidentally booting between a sysnand and emunand (Holding L on boot) that both still have the same ID. (e.g. you flashed one on top of the other, and you've not done a format on one of them since)

It drove me mad enough that I finally made a full backup of everything on my SD card to my PC, reformatted with EmuNAND9 using the 'no emunand' option in the 3DS to remove the partition, then copied all of my data back to the now blank SD card again. Now I have only sysnand, and there's no more pocket-booting of the EmuNAND.
I think you're right, I only recall doing a backup of emunand then restoring the .bin backup to sysnand. I don't think I ever formatted anything. What were the exact steps you took to get it all working with the backup to your pc etc

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're right, I only recall doing a backup of emunand then restoring the .bin backup to sysnand. I don't think I ever formatted anything. What were the exact steps you took to get it all working with the backup to your pc etc

You can test if this is the problem before wiping the emunand, since it was a bit of a pain. Luma3DS has a bug that can continue to detect a deleted emunand, and I had to manually wipe some sectors of the SD to work around it.) To verify this is what is the trouble, do this:

Boot the 3DS while holding SELECT to get to the Luma3DS settings menu, ensure at a minimum you have selected Autoboot SysNAND.

If you're not sure which emu or sysNAND you're in, you can enable the luma option to show current NAND in system settings and then verify you can get to both emu and sysnand. I'd recommend doing this just to be safe.

Power off and reboot with L held down to get to emuNAND
Install TinyFormat, then use it to format the emunand.

Here's a QR for the latest version...
chart

That will "unlink" the sysnand and emunand again, and hopefully will stop your problem from occurring. You can go through the trouble of removing the emunand afterward if that's what was causing your trouble.

Mike_77712

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can test if this is the problem before wiping the emunand, since it was a bit of a pain. Luma3DS has a bug that can continue to detect a deleted emunand, and I had to manually wipe some sectors of the SD to work around it.) To verify this is what is the trouble, do this:

Boot the 3DS while holding SELECT to get to the Luma3DS settings menu, ensure at a minimum you have selected Autoboot SysNAND.

If you're not sure which emu or sysNAND you're in, you can enable the luma option to show current NAND in system settings and then verify you can get to both emu and sysnand. I'd recommend doing this just to be safe.

Power off and reboot with L held down to get to emuNAND
Install TinyFormat, then use it to format the emunand.

Here's a QR for the latest version...
chart

That will "unlink" the sysnand and emunand again, and hopefully will stop your problem from occurring. You can go through the trouble of removing the emunand afterward if that's what was causing your trouble.
Hey thanks i think it worked. But i think i'll just pop in my sd into my PC and backup everything and perform a format with my PC to be rid of emunand

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey thanks i think it worked. But i think i'll just pop in my sd into my PC and backup everything and perform a format with my PC to be rid of emunand

If you're going to use a PC, you'll need to repartition as well as reformat to remove the emunand image, a normal format won't touch that section of the SD card since it's been partitioned outside of the mountable filesystem.

Its actually easier to just make a copy of everything on the SD from the computer, then use EmuNAND9's "SD Format Options" (Maybe Hourglass9 has this too? But I don't think so.) to reformat with no emunand on your 3DS to actually remove it. Then shutdown again, and use your PC to copy all your files back into the now empty card.

You can install EmuNAND9 just like the guide had you install Hourglass9, just name it Y_EmuNAND9.bin instead, then hold Y on power up to start it.

Also, when you're done with all of this, double check that your system still boots normally with L held at startup. If it doesn't boot with L held anymore, then Luma is misdetecting the emunand and you might need to do something more, let me know if you do.

Last edited by ksanislo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person