3ds WiFi Specs?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by hisagishi, Dec 3, 2013.

1. hisagishi
    OP

hisagishi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    I couldn't find this anywhere, basically I don't have a laptop and I want to know if upgrading my wireless antenna would be worth the cost so what I did was see if I could get wifi from a library a ways down the road with the DS. However my antenna on the current wifi card is 4DBi, I don't know what the one on the DS is so I can't determine any sort of range.

I hope that made sense.

TL;DR Whats the 3ds' wifi antenna DBi?

2. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    3DBrew lists the Wifi antenna as a 802.11b/g Atheros AR6014. Not sure if that helps, but it's a start.

3. hisagishi
    OP

hisagishi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    Thanks that helped a bit, it led me to an Ifixit breakdown where I found an FCC registry number and that led me to finding this. I am assuming from this report that then antenna is around 1 to 2 DBi.

https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1453600

Thanks, looks like I won't have to go balls to the wall on an expensive yagi antenna or anything :)

4. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Close. That's the chipset, which has nothing to do with signal strength.

EDIT: Make sure to try a parabolic reflector. Basically, buy a metal strainer, poke a hole in the bottom for the antenna, and shove it through.