3ds WiFi Specs?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by hisagishi, Dec 3, 2013.

1. hisagishi
    OP

hisagishi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    I couldn't find this anywhere, basically I don't have a laptop and I want to know if upgrading my wireless antenna would be worth the cost so what I did was see if I could get wifi from a library a ways down the road with the DS. However my antenna on the current wifi card is 4DBi, I don't know what the one on the DS is so I can't determine any sort of range.

I hope that made sense.

TL;DR Whats the 3ds' wifi antenna DBi?

2. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    3DBrew lists the Wifi antenna as a 802.11b/g Atheros AR6014. Not sure if that helps, but it's a start.

3. hisagishi
    OP

hisagishi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    Thanks that helped a bit, it led me to an Ifixit breakdown where I found an FCC registry number and that led me to finding this. I am assuming from this report that then antenna is around 1 to 2 DBi.

https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1453600

Thanks, looks like I won't have to go balls to the wall on an expensive yagi antenna or anything :)

4. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Close. That's the chipset, which has nothing to do with signal strength.

EDIT: Make sure to try a parabolic reflector. Basically, buy a metal strainer, poke a hole in the bottom for the antenna, and shove it through.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice