Hardware 32 GB SD for my 3DS

MegaGenesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi. I'm planing to switching my currently 16 GB SD for a 32 GB card. I heard the bigger the SD, the slowly the 3DS will load everything, is that true?
Anything i should look for? I'm using a SanDisk 16 GB SD (Class 4), and didn't had any problem, so a Class 4 32 GB card will do for me?

Model: Old 3DS (the original model, not XL).

Reactions: Leobgood

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's actually not true that larger SD cards cause slowdown, it's how they are formatted. It's not enough to just format them to FAT32, you also need proper allocation. GM9 can properly format your SD card with the right allocation. It's worth noting that large quantities of applications installed can effect boot up time.
I am currently using a 128GB PNY class 10 in my new3DS and I haven't experienced any slowdown. I've also used a 32GB class 10 SanDisk as well without hassle.
Personally I suggest sticking with main brands like SanDisk, Kingston, PNY, Samsung, etc. Anything that sounds super fishy is most likely super fishy. From there making sure it's formatted to FAT32 and then reformatting it with GM9 to have it properly formatted for the 3DS.

Last edited by The Catboy,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's likely if you buy a decent card, it'll be faster than 3ds is capable to read it anyway, so it's not going to matter. I use a 128gig sandisk, and it works fine. If there is any slowdown, it's not bad enough to be worse than just imagining it. 32gig should be no big problem.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MegaGenesis, make sure you check your new card with H2testw. Too many fakes out there.

Also, if you end up getting a SD card that's at least 128 GB, you should be able to format it in FAT32 + 64 KB cluster size. The 64 KB cluster size can help with loading times, but there's a chance you can run into compatibility problems.

64GB and smaller cards should stick to FAT32 + 32 KB cluster.

MegaGenesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
GM9 can properly format your SD card with the right allocation.

Wait, to do this, i have to boot into GM9 with my 16 GB card, then unmount it and put the new card and use the Format command? And after this put it in my PC and copy the contents from one to another?

make sure you check your new card with H2testw. Too many fakes out there.

Yeah i know, i did this with my 16 GB two time, before and after formating to FAT32 32kb and checking if it was BMR already. I know how to spot fake SD cards just but looking at the in the package, fake cards have the real "Micro SD" logo on them, with the "D" cut, legit SD cards have the complete "D" from "Micro SD" on them. Also, we can compare with a image from the oficial manufaturer site.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i know, i did this with my 16 GB two time, before and after formating to FAT32 32kb and checking if it was BMR already. I know how to spot fake SD cards just but looking at the in the package, fake cards have the real "Micro SD" logo on them, with the "D" cut, legit SD cards have the complete "D" from "Micro SD" on them. Also, we can compare with a image from the oficial manufaturer site.

As long as you don't rely on only your eyes alone. Counterfeiters are getting better at making convincing fake cards. No matter if your flash memory is 4 GB or even 512 GB, always check with H2testw, F3 (if you're Linux or Mac OS), or SD Insight (for Android and Chrome OS).

MegaGenesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Get a class 10 card

Got one already, got it yesterday for a good price, a SanDisk Class 10 32 GB Micro SD. Did all the tests and formatted to FAT32 32kb cluster. Its all working well, and i noticed a tiny faster Home Menu boot time. But also, avoiding the icons makes it load faster anyway.

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Home menu load time isn't that impo

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Having a fast home menu load time isn't that important, now get anemone and put a theme on there and download some badges. Have to create a new folder called themes, and one called badges. What I did is separate all my games by genre btw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.