Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
essentialgames.png
GBAtemp Recommends! Karnaaj Rally
G.R. Issue #23 (GBA)

Welcome back to GBAtemp Recommends! Our popular weekly magazine feature in which we recommend classic Game Boy Advance titles big and small! Oops, we're a bit late. But don't worry, we'll have another issue tomorrow at the usual time.

GBAtemp Recommends!

Karnaaj Rally
gt0818.png
gt0818.png

A definite nominee, if not winner for WORST BOX ART of ALL TIME, I really have no idea how Jaleco expected any copies of Karnaaj Rally to be taken off the shelves, except to be laughed at. Awful box art aside, Karnaaj Rally is a pretty decent little racer that bares a lot of similarities to Micro Machines (or the lesser known title - Death Rally (PC)). So if you enjoy careering around a track whilst unloading all sorts of weapons on to your enemies in a neat top down racer then this might be the game for you.

The gameplay boils down to some weird geezer who wants to become the top racer, so he enters a series of races in order to bestow that prestigious title. You'll get to upgrade your wheels as you earn money for coming first, or you can even earn money by placing bets on various aspects of a race. Each race consists of four laps, and there are a variety of different locales (22 different tracks) to hoon it around in. You'll encounter all sorts of weapon upgrades and illegal modifications to use to your advantage, and on top of that, each track has different hazards scattered around the track to avoid. The tracks themselves, while not overly long, (but are 4 laps), are well designed with some fun twists and turns to drive around.

What makes Karnaaj Rally stand out from most other top down racers on the GBA are the controls... The cars all handle extremely tightly, and you'll have no problems drifting around corners and boosting between cars to take the lead. The games graphics are also very impressive, and each stage is well presented and even manages to pull of some neat 3D visual effects such as overhanging trees or billboards. Sweet sweet eye candy, but nothing more.

Karnaaj Rally is one of the better racers on the Game Boy Advance, and probably the best top-down racer for the system. Take it out for a test drive and let us know what you think!

Game Synopsis said:
Leave a trail of destruction behind as you blast ahead of the competition. Make your opponents spin and crash as you bombard them with a barrage of weapons. Take them out of the race with rockets and mines. Win races and prize money so you can progress to the next level of competition for more fire action.
us.gif
#0818 - Karnaaj Rally (DCS)

Genre: Racer
Publisher: Jaleco
Dump Date: 17/12/2002
ROM Size: 64Mbit

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these magazine articles in the future. Another game will be featured next Wednesday!

gicon.jpg
View in G-Online
c171.gif
Game Profile at IGN
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History
discuss.png
Discuss

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wow, very good "Recommends" issue again! thank you for sharing these hidden gems.
i loved all of them so far - even though i already knew densetsu no stafi and kuru kururin

can't believe they let this boxart hit the stores.. and whats up with the name? was it intended to sound like "carnage"?

anyway gonna hunt this down to check it out
smile.gif

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Oh! I remember I played this back when it was released and didn't find it half bad. Totally forgot about it since then. Thanks for reminding us, I'll give it another few rounds or so.
biggrin.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue Zoidberg said:
OMG, there's a Death Rally for the GBA??
There isn't anything written to imply that there was, and there isn't.

A great addition to the GBA library, I remember there was some sort of uproar involving someone giving this game a bad score based soley on the cover. I still prefer Racing Gears to this though. The developers also did the Micro Machines GBA port too as well as the might fine GBC shooter, Project-11.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The box art is there on purpose, to attract us, and make us play it forever
smileipb2.png
i think this is worth checking out, still playing Kuru Kuru Kurin
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos