Aikku

ulc-codec Demonstration 20210418

Low-complexity MDCT audio codec

  1. Improved tools and codec syntax

    Aikku
    ULC now supports noise-fill. Transient detection has been improved, and noise-fill allows dramatic quality improvements at lower rates.
  2. Improvements, updated UI, new track

    Aikku
    It's been a while, and ulc-codec has made a fair bit of progress.
  3. Improvements, new UI, 128kbps demo, gimmicky pitch shifter

    Aikku
    Although a 64kbps demo is good for showing off a codec's low-rate quality, the upload here is more meant as a demonstration of running an MDCT codec on the GBA at all. So the file has been replaced with a 128kbps copy instead.
  4. Greatly improved psychoacoustics, improved transient detection

    Aikku
    The biggest improvement has been psychoacoustics, but transients are also somewhat improved in this version.

    NOTE: This 7z file includes the resource files missing from the last release (graphics data).
  5. Rebuild with latest tools; major quality improvements; encoder compatibility fixes

    Aikku
    The old version only had an AVX-based encoder/decoder. This new version provides SSE and x87 versions alongside the AVX one.
  6. New zero-runs syntax, improved transient coding, encoder/decoder binaries, source code

    Aikku
    For this release, I decided to bundle the GBA executable's source code and the encoding/decoding executables (Windows only, sorry).
    Although the source code has always been available on GitHub, it may be less annoying for users to have the source code all in one file, and including the pre-built conversion tools should also make it a lot easier to test your own files.
  7. Further transients improvements

    Aikku
    Transients were improved fairly dramatically over the old version, based on a research paper regarding the exact thing this codec tries to accomplish.
  8. Rebuild with latest tools; quality improvements

    Aikku
    Transients are coded a bit better, and the quantizer selections are more optimal, leading to overall increases in quality.
  9. New and updated format

    Aikku
    Many milestones were surpassed between this posting and the last, and quality has improved on all fronts. Higher bitrate (96kbps, 128kbps) demos of this song and others are available on GitHub.
    Sterophonick likes this.
  10. Re-equalized track

    Aikku
    Because of the GBA's 8bit audio DAC, I had to perform a lot of equalization to get the track to sound right. After listening to it a lot more and comparing to the original, I realized I wasn't doing it justice and started the equalization process from scratch; sounds a lot closer to the original now. May have gone overboard on the bass, though...