Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Guys,

So I'm finally playing through Skyward Sword in full for the first time (I know, I know, took me long enough) and I have to say I'm just kind of grinding it out. In my opinion it's the most annoying Zelda title of them all, mainly due to what I think is a horrible control scheme. Playing through this game I'm having a hard time understanding why it received such high marks at it's release outside of it's story.

With that, these are the changes I would like to see in Zelda Wii U that I hope Nintendo realizes on their own from the folly I think is Skyward Sword (or through QA):

1. Quit reminding me my WiiMote's (or Gamepad's) battery is running low. I don't need you to ping me annoyingly every 30 seconds even after checking with *Insert next fairy helper's name here* to tell me it's low. You're not helping my battery life and I can see a red indicator it's running low. I know it, just stop.

2. Don't have *Insert next fairy helper's name here* remind me I failed a trial, or did not beat an enemy correctly. I know I failed, why are you wasting a minute of my time to tell me I did, especially when it's the third or fourth time in the game I've had to do a similar trial?

3. Let me skip text a bit quicker like in OoT or MM. This could potentially remedy #2.

4. Don't make swimming/gliding/"re-centering"/any motion control negatively impact gameplay. I shouldn't feel as a player gimped by a crappy control scheme because I wasn't holding the controller the way the sensor was expecting me to. Believe me, I've angled the controller downward while gliding and I go backwards. I've angled it upward while swimming and shook the nun-chuck to spin out and go right into a wall. I've angled to roll a bomb with spin and it changes at last second. I've stood, I've sat, I've constricted and re-centered a thousand times until it finally "worked". It's so punishingly annoying, and players should not be punished for things like this.

5. Improve on the "Zelda formula" which is very heavily prevalent in SS (You can't get to X dungeon before gathering quest A+B+C over 6 different times in the game over different areas of Desert, Forest and Mountain). It worked for most of the titles, but it's just too damn repetitive in SS for me, and I hope they found how to improve on that formula in ZeldaU as well.

All in all, these are just gripes I have against SS I suppose. I am happy that ZeldaU will be an open world concept and that you can perform certain quests before others similar to WW.

How about you tempers? Any changes or improvements you'd like to see? Is my criticism just proof I might be getting too old for the Zelda series anymore?

Last edited by Maximilious,
Reactions: Bladexdsl

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have liked SS to stop reminding me what every fucking item is that I collect no matter how many times I've collected it before.

OMG yeah I totally forgot about that annoying shit too! Seriously, I feel half the gameplay is the game telling me something it's already told me before. It's terribly annoying, just let me play and explore on my own!

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OMG yeah I totally forgot about that annoying shit too! Seriously, I feel half the gameplay is the game telling me something it's already told me before. It's terribly annoying, just let me play and explore on my own!

Twilight Princess had this too in some way with the rupees, this was hugely annoying since every time you find a 5 rupee you start up the game, the game tells you you got a 5 rupee... >_> Once or twice is okay, but when you have more than 80 hours in the game it is non-sense. -_-

What also was annoying is those wolf/special world in Skyward Sword sections where you need to collect those tears of light. =_=

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Agreed, though ZeldaU is NOT an openworld concept, Zelda always will be an action adventure. nothing more.
An action adventure, it's all it is.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
having to fight the same boss 3 fucking times just is not fun especially with a time limit!

i had a huge list of things and what makes this the worst in the series posted in here somewhere i can't find it :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
having to fight the same boss 3 fucking times just is not fun especially with a time limit!
i had a huge list of things and what makes this the worst in the series posted in here somewhere i can't find it :P

Well, I haven't completed it just yet (on the last fire temple, so almost there), perhaps I just haven't gotten to "that part" yet? Perhaps I will revise the list with some additions once I actually finish the game haha.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh trust me you'll be adding LOTS more to that list as you progress (wheres that damn list i posted..) :P

Found it (I think)!

oh god where to start

1. repeated text telling me how much a fucking rupee is worth every single game.
2. motion controls for throwing bombs that didn't work half the time.
3. motion controls for falling that didn't work half the time.
4. motion controls for swimming NOT NEEDED.
5. terrible boss fights namely the imprisoned.
6. the sealed grounds.
7. gimmicky mini games put into the story example the water dragon quest...
8. hardly NO exploration
9. hardly no side quests that weren't part of the fucking story.
10. the thing in the sword can't remember it's name worse than navi. tells you to go here and what to do when it just plainly was fucking obvious where i had to go!

i played through this once than i deleted it never to play it again!

From this thread:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-zeld...e-game-awards-2014.375438/page-6#post-5254205

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of Zelda, I found this pretty awesome breakdown on the new title and how it may fit (or break) the current timeline as we know it:

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked how it started off giving you the feel like it was heading in the Wind Waker direction with giving you a bird instead of a boat and letting you roam the skies instead of the seas. but sadly after the first 3 world's (forest,mountains,dessert) that feeling started to fade...

cons:
1.You are on a rail
(this is supposed to be zelda not call of battle modern duty)
2.The controls I would have to agree, they were horrible.
(always having to recalibrate.)
3.and the endless battles with the improsoned.
(these were lame no new technique needed just need to move faster each time)

pros:
1.upgrading weapons
2.bug hunting/catching
3.....yeah that's about it

I haven't beaten the game either. but I have gotten real far till I think I got stuck in the game breaking bug back during the initial release ( when searching for the 3 dragons)
I ended up selling my Wii(not because of this reason because of my current model I had at the time) and never backed up my save so never got to continue with the patch/update nintendo released to fix that issue. I had restarted recently getting back to the dragons again but haven't touched this game in awhile.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My main gripe was that there was no exploration. The three different worlds (four if you want to count the cloud-thing) were completely separated from each other and had no influence on each other at all. But I agree that that sword was an annoying thing after a couple of hours.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually liked it a lot and thought it showed real growth for the Zelda series. Unfortunately, it had a lot of annoyances as well. The swimming was poorly thought out. The motion control was fine, but then you abruptly transition to the stick at the surface. Fi was Navi with a brain tumor, a big step back from Minda. The separation of the ground environments felt contrived.

I don't have too many complaints about the motion control though. I loved the boss fights. My legs would always be a bit sore afterwards because I realized that I was bracing myself in a fighting stance the whole time.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand, Please Understand!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: