Youtube DS - Play Youtube videos on your DS!

Hey guys, lately I've been working on playing Youtube videos on a DS. As you can see in the video below, I got it working. I think I'll try to improve it some more if I have some time and add a gui to make it actually possible to search for videos.

You can download a preview here, if you want to try it out: https://github.com/Gericom/YoutubeDS/raw/master/YoutubeDS.nds
It might take a few tries, because the video info parser does not work very good yet.

Source: https://github.com/Gericom/YoutubeDS

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Yes it works with DSi also, but you have to set up Internet Settings in normal mode (Advanced Mode is for DSi only and support more securities like WPA-2 and more).
If you have a Flashcart I think you can also use a game with Internet to do the set up like Mario Kart DS and will be the same.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it works with DSi also, but you have to set up Internet Settings in normal mode (Advanced Mode is for DSi only and support more securities like WPA-2 and more).
If you have a Flashcart I think you can also use a game with Internet to do the set up like Mario Kart DS and will be the same.
Is it possible to access advanced mode on 3DS?

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I think that you can only access to it in a DSi, since DSi System Settings from DSi in 3DS makes black "An Error has Ocurred" (but the one for DSi) screen, and also the connection for 3DS is used for DSi games and apps too if needed.

Last edited by Clector,

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that you can"t since DSi System Settings from DSi in 3DS makes black "An Error has Ocurred" screen, and also the connection for 3DS is used for DSi games and apps too if needed.
Damn, I'm screwed because I have WPA2.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Anyways if I remeber good Advance Mode (Advance Setup) for Internet Settings only works for DSi apps and games but no for DS games in DSi.

Last edited by Clector,

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
Doesn't work for me on my NDS Lite white screens with r4i-sdhc v1.4.5 using v1.82b kernel,
8gb micro sdhc card, I left the .nds unpatched since r4i-sdhc has auto dldi patching.

D

Deleted User

Hey this is awesome. Would be cool 3 years ago tho. Now almost all of our devices and play youtube. But thanks for this anyways.

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Obviously this is amazing in its own right, and I'm not complaining because I'd never be able to make something like this. But I'm assuming it's 144p at a reduced framerate (though the framerate looks pretty good in your sample video.) Out of curiosity of possible improvement, I wonder if you could achieve 240i without much more overhead needed (there's 48 more pixels in height to take advantage of) by somehow interlacing the 240p video? Just an idea though, I doubt it works that easily with streaming video.

Last edited by LeifEricson,

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Obviously this is amazing in its own right, and I'm not complaining because I'd never be able to make something like this. But I'm assuming it's 144p at a reduced framerate (though the framerate looks pretty good in your sample video.) Out of curiosity of possible improvement, I wonder if you could achieve 240i without much more overhead needed (there's 48 more pixels in height to take advantage of) by somehow interlacing the 240p video? Just an idea though, I doubt it works that easily with streaming video.
The problem is that youtube only gives me a couple of formats to choose from. I choose to use 144p mpeg4, because it was the easiest to decode. When switching to 240p mpeg4, it's 30fps already (compared to 10-15fps for 144p), and it uses some more complex mpeg4 features. Sadly it's not possible to simply decode only a part of a frame, because you always have to decode a 16x16 block at once and both inside the frame as well as between frames all blocks are needed to properly predict and decode the frames.

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that youtube only gives me a couple of formats to choose from. I choose to use 144p mpeg4, because it was the easiest to decode. When switching to 240p mpeg4, it's 30fps already (compared to 10-15fps for 144p), and it uses some more complex mpeg4 features. Sadly it's not possible to simply decode only a part of a frame, because you always have to decode a 16x16 block at once and both inside the frame as well as between frames all blocks are needed to properly predict and decode the frames.

Ah okay! Thanks.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
So does this work on the r4i-sdhc or not?
with the games launcher it white screens and moonshell it shows this red bar with messed up texture on the right side.
IMG_20160710_205209~2.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1