Youtube DS - Play Youtube videos on your DS!

Hey guys, lately I've been working on playing Youtube videos on a DS. As you can see in the video below, I got it working. I think I'll try to improve it some more if I have some time and add a gui to make it actually possible to search for videos.

You can download a preview here, if you want to try it out: https://github.com/Gericom/YoutubeDS/raw/master/YoutubeDS.nds
It might take a few tries, because the video info parser does not work very good yet.

Source: https://github.com/Gericom/YoutubeDS

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
hmmm I copied R4i-SDHC YSMenu contents to root and ran Youtube.nds and both screens just go white.

Aura Launcher (hbmenu mod) with fincs' bootstrap seemed to run everything properly
no glitched / messed up texture, but didn't display any video just sat there doing nothing.

nvm got it working now :-), used YSMenu to run Aura Launcher, then Aura Launcher to load Youtube.nds, just searched ign and played some vid :-)

Last edited by ned,

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Since YouTube fixed the slices videos problem fom 3DS app some months ago (but for some reason only for new uploaded videos and no for any problematic video from when them was introduced), I will try if that fix have effect here also.

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it possible you could have it be able to load an MP4 file off the SD Card?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It isn't.
Yes, I could implement playing mp4 videos from the sd card. (I actually test the decoder on my pc by downloading the mp4 on my pc, putting it in the romfs and uncommenting a #define in my code to read from the romfs)

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I could implement playing mp4 videos from the sd card. (I actually test the decoder on my pc by downloading the mp4 on my pc, putting it in the romfs and uncommenting a #define in my code to read from the romfs)
Also, how come the video doesn't take up the full screen? Performance issues?

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also, how come the video doesn't take up the full screen? Performance issues?
That's because youtube only delivers 176x144 at 144p with the mp4 codec. There is 240p aswell, but as said before, that's 30fps and uses more features of the mp4 codec. The other formats are avc (h264), which should be possible to decode on the ds aswell (mobiclip is largely compareable to h264), but it's much harder to make a decoder for (remember that I wrote the decoder almost entirely in arm assembly). 144p h264 is 256x144 iirc, and would fill up the ds screen exactly (aside from widescreen black bars).

Also, you can upscale by pressing select.

Last edited by Gericom,
Reactions: I pwned U!

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, I'm late to the DS party, but who cares? That's pretty cool!. Never, in my early childhood life, have I thought YouTube would work on the DS!

I mean, dude! The DS seems to have much more potential than we thought!

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, I'm late to the DS party, but who cares? That's pretty cool!. Never, in my early childhood life, have I thought YouTube would work on the DS!

I mean, dude! The DS seems to have much more potential than we thought!
Hey, we got GBA video carts with 2 full movies on one cart... Nintendo's handhelds are pretty darn capable.

Reactions: LuxerWap

AzerothArg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's still working? I downloaded it, ran trough hbmenu (I have a r4 clone, direct boot hangs it) and it doesn't go beyond the initial splash screen

Crimson Cuttlefish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use YSMenu to run Aura Launcher, then use Aura Launcher to load Youtube.nds
I can't use YSMenu, but I have the r4isdhc kernel if that works.
~EDIT~
I tried it with my kernel, used Aura Launcher and I got a Guru Meditation Error with a bunch of 8-digit numbers all over the creen.
Wat do?

Last edited by Crimson Cuttlefish,

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't use YSMenu, but I have the r4isdhc kernel if that works.
~EDIT~
I tried it with my kernel, used Aura Launcher and I got a Guru Meditation Error with a bunch of 8-digit numbers all over the creen.
Wat do?

You don't need to use the YSMenu kernel just the included YSMenu.nds to run Aura Launcher
mine has the r4i-sdhc.com v1.4.5 kernel with r4imenu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse