Your favorite fan-made projects?

Sometimes enough is enough and fans just pick themselves up and say "Fine, I'll do it myself".

Ever since the early days of computing, enthusiasts have taken it upon themselves to realise their dream projects and have created some truly amazing as well as equally insane homemade projects. Some can be the result of a single person while others can be the products of entire teams working together.

Whether the idea is to resurrect a long-forgotten franchise, or to build upon and approve an existing product; or whether the ambition stems from a long seated desire for improvements that just never come to pass - the results of these projects can often outclass the original and even lead to the developers getting recognised and even hired by the IP owners. A recent example is the 2011 port of Sonic CD - a project that started out as a fan made proof of concept on YouTube only to later be greenlit and picked up by SEGA.

More often than not, fan made projects tread a very thin line when it comes to legality. See this interesting piece on Gamesutra that takes a deep look into the legality of such projects.

Historically, Nintendo are known for their aggressive stance toward fan made projects and regularly issue and demand takedowns whereas SEGA on the other hand are much more lenient and have outright publicly stated that they are OK with fan made projects as long as they don't seek to profit from them.

Some notable fan made projects:

AM2R - Another Metroid 2 Remake

am2r1.png am2r2.png

Built for Windows and ported to Linux, Android and even the Vita, AM2R is a ground-up remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus released for Game Boy in 1991 and features graphics and design similar to that of Super Metroid for the SNES. A DMCA takedown was issued by Nintendo who later went on to release an official remake of Metroid 2, but the author continued work on the project in secret.

:arrow: AM2R

Black Mesa

blackmesa1.png blackmesa2.png

Over a decade in the making, Black Mesa is a remake of the original Half Life within the Source engine. It even caught the eye of Valve who not only let the project continue but after its completion last year, even allowed it to be sold through Steam.

:arrow: Black Mesa on Steam

Mother 4 / Oddity

oddity1.jpg oddity2.png

Mother 4 (now renamed Oddity) is a brand new official indie game that takes a lot of inspiration from its precursor, from the look of the text boxes, to the character designs, and especially the battle system. While the game is still in development, a trailer was released back in January of 2020.

:arrow: Oddity on Twitter

Sonic Utopia

utopia1.png utopia2.jpg

Sonic Utopia is a single level proof-of-concept built to demonstrate how classic Sonic could play and control within a 3D environment. Using the full momentum based physics of the original games, Utopia provides an open sandbox style world to explore and test out Sonic's capabilities.

:arrow: Sonic Utopia on Archive.org

What are some of your favourite fan-made projects?

Let us know below!​

Last edited by shaunj66,

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Pokemon Insurgence. Nice balanced fakemon, good difficulty curve decent story with minimal overdrama and pretty decent reveals throughout game.
Doing a run of it right now that's blind actually, it may be dark and mature but it's shockingly tame compared to reborn, rejuvenation and the worst offender of "Painfully Edgy" imo, Desolation, aka the only pokemon fangame i actually hate with no real saving graces. horribly edgy with a plotline that feels like something a 14 year old would write and not much in terms of appealing mechanics that are unique (Insurgence has fakemon going for it plus new mega evos/primal forms, Reborn has an entirely new power up mechanic and iirc so does rejuvenation)

Alright with that out of the way, the fan translation of the FE1 Book 2 remake for the DS, Digimon Redigiltalize decode's translation (recently got finished, making it one of the ONLY 3ds translations to reach completion. anyone remember team IF promising a translation of GAAT but just like their fates translation, never came to be?), Jenka's Nightmare, a full fan-made sequel mod for Cave story, Pokemon Uranium, Brutal Doom and the Persona 3 FES full party control patch (Aka the best way to play persona 3 on PC).

Last edited by AngryCinnabon,
Reactions: shaunj66

daddu3

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Some many good suggestions here, I still keep thanking Project M Team for allowing me to experience Wario as I remembered him from his true classics instead of Sakurai's masturbatory fascination to WarioWare driving Wario's representation in Smash.

However, one of my most memorable ones come from SMBX, which I happened to discover around 2013 or so. Made by the his truly Redigit behind Terraria's inception.

The way it was this huge amalgamation of everything great in 2D Marios along it's own surprises (like Zelda2-Link as playable), felt surprisingly refreshing after being used to all the mandated limits imposed on NSMB-games from Wii onward. Sadly for a long time 1.3 used to be the last update

On that note, Power Bomberman and Rayman Redemption has been amazing as well. Hoping to also get to Crystal Clear after working out my custom trainer design.

Last edited by daddu3,

Maverick_Hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I see no one mentioned Resident Evil 4 HD, in the same veins of the Silent Hill 2 HD someone already mentioned, which isn't really as revolutionary as much as it's something the original developers should've done themselves, but it's still really impressive when you think about the amount and the quality of the work done by just two guys, and it seems like it's very close to completion.

Another one I just got to know about and that I found absolutely awesome was The Legend of Zelda Remastered which is a mix of QoL changes based on The Legend of Zelda Redux and an absolutely stunning graphic pack that brings the esthetic of Cadence of Hyrule to the original NES Zelda and makes it a lot more in line with today's standards for a classic that I personally think is a little bit hard play in its original state nowadays. There are similar packs for the original Metroid, Mega Man and Castlevania, and others, but I still didn't get a chance to test those.

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

Last edited by Maverick_Hunter,

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I see no one mentioned Resident Evil 4 HD, in the same veins of the Silent Hill 2 HD someone already mentioned, which isn't really as revolutionary as much as it's something the original developers should've done themselves, but it's still really impressive when you think about the amount and the quality of the work done by just two guys, and it seems like it's very close to completion.

Another one I just got to know about and that I found absolutely awesome was The Legend of Zelda Remastered which is a mix of QoL changes based on The Legend of Zelda Redux and an absolutely stunning graphic pack that brings the esthetic of Cadence of Hyrule to the original NES Zelda and makes it a lot more in line with today's standards for a classic that I personally think is a little bit hard play in its original state nowadays. There are similar packs for the original Metroid, Mega Man and Castlevania, and others, but I still didn't get a chance to test those.

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uhh, I recently finished the original zelda on my G&W. the pack would have been cool on that too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: no, cod sucks