Hacking Youkai Watch 2 Update Question

crispyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a friend who has a Japanese 3DS XL with Youkai Watch 2 retail cart that I maybe be able to borrow.

The question I have is, does the update get saved on the SD Card? If so, is it possible to just copy the update data, transfer it to a SD Card on a GW 3DS, and install the update?

alepman89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So,last year when i got my GW i switched to 3DS 4.5 and copied all the data from my original 3DS SD card to this one
i wasn't able to enter eshop to download MK7 update yet the online functionality worked fine and already 1.1(and my copy is older version)
so you can try,even though i'm not sure how this happen? was the update already been installed on the game's card?

crispyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure yet about the update already installed on the card. Do the game updates actually write data to the card or does it write to the SD? If it updated the card, I guess I can try dumping the ROM with my Gateway?

This guy has the honke and ganso retail carts with JP 3ds so I guess it does not hurt to try to get the data atleast.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
games are ROM chips (read only) the updates are stored on the SD card and are encrypted to only work on the console they where downloaded on, unless your 3ds has access to the correct region's eshop you cant do anything

So,last year when i got my GW i switched to 3DS 4.5 and copied all the data from my original 3DS SD card to this one
i wasn't able to enter eshop to download MK7 update yet the online functionality worked fine and already 1.1(and my copy is older version)
so you can try,even though i'm not sure how this happen? was the update already been installed on the game's card?
yes in the case of the 1.1 mario kart, new copies of the game that where produced had the patch built into the cart during manufacture

crispyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks gamesquest. I knew the the carts were called ROM(Read Only Memory), so I was a bit confused about the alepman post. You explained it.

I guess the updates get encrypted with the system device info, so you can't transfer the game updates. More work for the hackers....I mean the developers!

alepman89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
games are ROM chips (read only) the updates are stored on the SD card and are encrypted to only work on the console they where downloaded on, unless your 3ds has access to the correct region's eshop you cant do anything

yes in the case of the 1.1 mario kart, new copies of the game that where produced had the patch built into the cart during manufacture

but mine wasn't, it's the original cart from the release date,and at that time i didn't have an account here so didnt ask about it
Edit:as i mentioned before i copied my data from my older 3DS sd card(which had the update)to the newer one (4.5)and it worked

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
but mine wasn't, it's the original cart from the release date,and at that time i didn't have an account here so didnt ask about it
Edit:as i mentioned before i copied my data from my older 3DS sd card(which had the update)to the newer one (4.5)and it worked
you may of got a console that already had the 1.1 patch downloaded on the SD card, but you cant just take updates from one console and use them on another......for the same reason you cant just copy eshop downloads off one 3ds and put them on another one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro