XBone: Microsoft releases information on what goes.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The thing is, its almost pointless getting upset and angry about it all to be honest. I have zero brand loyalty. I just shrug my shoulders to this and will patiently wait and see what Sony's stance is. If they don't adopt this approach they can have my money. Nothing will hurt Microsoft more than a consumer not buying something off the shelf that they fully intended to shift months before.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm just curious, what prevents you from adding a random friend/stranger as family and being able to access the other person's games?

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is enforced anti consumer policy? It's one thing being online all the time because you want to, it is another all together when you have to check in every day to ensure you can play your offline game.
Well shit, look at someone like me. I prefer single player games over multiplayer. I hardly play online if at all. And Microsoft is basically giving me the finger saying "fuck you, play online".

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing is, people will still buy the Xbox One. Most won't even be aware of this policy either since there are still lots of people without a internet connection.
I can see it now:
"I finally got the new Xbox! Time for some Ghosts!"
Next day...
"WHY CAN'T I PLAY MY GAMES ANYMORE!?"

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Funny thing is, people will still buy the Xbox One. Most won't even be aware of this policy either since there are still lots of people without a internet connection.
I can see it now:
"I finally got the new Xbox! Time for some Ghosts!"
Next day...
"WHY CAN'T I PLAY MY GAMES ANYMORE!?"
I do not doubt there will be some but given the retailers will have to wear a lot of this if people are unaware and then try to return things I imagine they will have the checkout staff explain all this.

Reactions: SifJar

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually every xbox gamer I personally know are hating on the xbone too, people who have been loyal to the company since they first entered the console market.
I don't see this doing well among them, other gamers nor the casual audience. MS need to rethink some of their decisions before it's too late, they were completely out of touch with what people wanted out of their reveal and are constantly hitting all the wrong notes with everything they say. If they can't live up to their bold statements regarding actual game content then, I don't know what will happen but it isn't looking good.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't feel like going through the whole post,but

while not "50 years", you are thinking of doing what you are criticizing, waiting after the generation to actually buy/get the system.

Nope, I am criticising buying and keeping it in box for 50 years. Obviously if a console is no longer functional, I'm not going to buy it at the end of it's life.

I was saying in this instance, I could buy a 360 or PS3 right now and play a load of great games. If the Xbox One doesn't work out the same, no big deal. Although I would say it is unlikely to be the case; as technology advances, it will become less and less burdensome for Microsoft to continue hosting petabytes of old content, which will most likely be compatible with at least the next few generations of their Xbox line (they'll probably stick to x86 for the next few iterations I reckon, so content should be mostly compatible). So it's no real issue for them to continue to support the Xbox One when the next Xbox comes out, and so on. I don't think this will be a massive issue. If some day MS do decide the Xbox One is dead, I am confident they will (whether willingly or under pressure, either from consumers or legally) release a software update to allow the console to continue to function without access to servers.

Anyhow, I am not thinking of doing what I am criticizing, there is a big difference between waiting a few years to get stuff cheaper and waiting 50 years until stuff is a collector's item and then...opening it and playing it (instantly depreciating the value enormously, btw).

You know I agree with most of that sifjar, however in the past I have been in a position of financial struggle and my net was one of the first services to go. This is not the case now and as it isn't I can totally understand your point of view. I currently do local housing authority electrical inspections and visit a shit load of scum bag house holds daily, I would say 9/10 of these shitholes consist of pricks playing 360's offline. It's a regional thing I guess, but there are deprived areas of any town that still wanna game and to be forced extra cost to play a game is bullshit. I know half these people won't be affording these consoles any time soon, but these people find a way, and with it being a Xmas seller I can see shit loadsa kids nationwide gutted that there xmas pressie doesn't actually work because well M$ didn't print "only works with a net connection" on the side of the box. It's too narrow minded to assume only financially stable people and especially kids play games. It's life and I don't feel this caters for that.
I hate to say this, but if they can't afford it, they shouldn't be getting games. I know it seems unfair and such, but there are definitely things to prioritise over video games for these families. (e.g. food, clothing, education, paying bills and debts). Obviously I don't think kids should be deprived of stuff, but there are more important things to sort out first. Gaming is a luxury, the same as films and music, and shouldn't be prioritised over essentials. Although I do realise plenty of people don't see things this way (unfortunately).

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe it or not, I have NEVER played any PS3 or 360 games ever, as a matter of fact, I never played PS2 or orig XBOX either. It's true. I quit bothering with modern gaming when they started selling people half-games and then force you to buy a bunch of DLC for the rest of the game (whether that was a factor in PS2/XBOX systems, I don't know...or care). PS1 was my last console, and I've been a PC gamer ever since....with the exception of the GBA, DS and PSP (which are hacked all to hell).
I do not play games online. Last game I attempted to play online was MKDS until the cheating started, and then I was reminded why I hate online gaming.
Gaming is my private guilty pleasure. To me, multi-player means my friend is sitting next to me with controller 2 in his/her hand.
I do not buy downloads. My games have all been gotten in a box, on a shelf, in a store.....or they were straight-up pirated.

I've seen all this restrictive crap coming for a long time now and have personally taken steps to avoid being a sucker. Maybe you guys thought all my rants were just me ranting to hear myself speak. You would be wrong.

I'm not buying any of these new consoles. I'll play my 40-year backlog of (emulated) games that don't report in to anyone and will be perfectly happy doing that. I've gone FULL RETRO. Not buying ANY new games anymore. You can thank the industry's greed for that.

Reactions: sandytf and bowser

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
I personally think they're simply moving to full digital distribution, but trying to fool people who insist on a physical copy of a game into believing they still have one, whilst they are actually playing via cloud servers and hard drives. Basically the disks only allow users to purchase the digital data on disk to save some time downloading the "licensed" data.

At the same time they have decided they may as well take full control of buying and selling the data you have "licensed", with the ability to point at other publishers as scapegoats if they push it further than Microsoft as a publisher wish to at first. Although they are still retaining the ability to make things more draconian if the users are stupid enough to let them get away with the initial measures they are using to test the water. Probably realising they are going to get a lot of flack for these decisions so may as well get them out of the way now.

Seems a bit like the PSP Go, which tried to go fully digital distribution way too early, and I hope this new attempt also dies a quick death.

With ANY games console I want to be able to:-

* buy a game in a shop or via download ...my choice.
* only have to connect to the internet when using online features
* know that I can always play the game as long as I have the console and the disk
* either give the game away when I've finished with it or sell it if I want.

I do not mind buying and downloading some games online, but once installed to my drive I do not then want to have to connect to the internet to play single player games. I do not wish to be at the mercy of a big business keeping a server running to actually continue using what I have bought.

*edit*
btw my PC is connected to the internet 24/7, I have a BluRay Player , Tivo Cable service with its own dedicated internet connection, my Media collection works via Wifi throughout my home and I'm perfectly capable of pressing an AV input button to switch between Games Console, Cable TV ,Bluray Movies or Streaming Media. I can also already watch movies or listen to music via Wifi on my phone, laptop or tablet if needed.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
"With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."
Well that's a bummer. If your internet breaks or if you change your ISP you can't play.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. The very notion of brand loyalty fills me with the urge to kill anyone displaying it.
2. Digital distribution is shit - we no longer own the things we buy, we get a license to use them.
3. Online gaming has been rammed down our throats for so long it's like we've forgotten the joy of single player gaming. You don't need 3 "friends" to read a book or watch a film or listen to music - why should you need them to enjoy a game? Simply because the game companies tell you you do ?
4. I can still fire up my Saturn,for example, and enjoy my favourite games on it up to 16 years later. What use will my Xbone be in 16 years ?
5. Xbone is fuck ugly - seriously fuck ugly. If it was a child of mine, it would be locked away in the attic!

Reactions: Rayder and bowser

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darn you ninja'd me. I just received an email about this from gamestop. And I sent a copy of everything to one of the mods. But that type of info should be in it's own thread.
It was originally in its own thread. However one of the mods felt it necessary for all of the info to be condensed into one thread.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've read on another forum what I considered to be a happy medium regarding second hand sales. Someone suggested that what could happen is that perhaps new games that are sold are locked in the way that microsoft have suggested in that they can only be used a few times, and traded in only at stores but this only applies for say 6 months after a title is launched.

If this timed restriction were then lifted to allow free trade as it were of second hand titles (and in those first 6 months, is when you'd imagine that perhaps 95% of new title sales takes place) then this would allow MS and devs to get a piece of the second hand pie, but its indefinite and only lasts a certain amount of time. At the end of the day MS stance could be that if you want it, pay for it, and if you want it on the cheap, "your" release date so to speak, is 6 months down the line.

I'd be happy with that. I know its only gossip, but is that a way it perhaps "should" work?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've read on another forum what I considered to be a happy medium regarding second hand sales. Someone suggested that what could happen is that perhaps new games that are sold are locked in the way that microsoft have suggested in that they can only be used a few times, and traded in only at stores but this only applies for say 6 months after a title is launched.

If this timed restriction were then lifted to allow free trade as it were of second hand titles (and in those first 6 months, is when you'd imagine that perhaps 95% of new title sales takes place) then this would allow MS and devs to get a piece of the second hand pie, but its indefinite and only lasts a certain amount of time. At the end of the day MS stance could be that if you want it, pay for it, and if you want it on the cheap, "your" release date so to speak, is 6 months down the line.

I'd be happy with that. I know its only gossip, but is that a way it perhaps "should" work?

A decrease in my options for no gain... forgive me if I do not jump at the chance.

Reactions: Rydian

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's not very nice of you to call me an idiot.
I'm sorry, but I have always classified people who keep anything "in box" for years and years as such. It just seems pointless to me. (And I'm sure there are reasons which justify it to you, but they won't win me over ;) )

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe it or not, I have NEVER played any PS3 or 360 games ever, as a matter of fact, I never played PS2 or orig XBOX either. It's true. I quit bothering with modern gaming when they started selling people half-games and then force you to buy a bunch of DLC for the rest of the game (whether that was a factor in PS2/XBOX systems, I don't know...or care). PS1 was my last console, and I've been a PC gamer ever since....with the exception of the GBA, DS and PSP (which are hacked all to hell).
I do not play games online. Last game I attempted to play online was MKDS until the cheating started, and then I was reminded why I hate online gaming.
Gaming is my private guilty pleasure. To me, multi-player means my friend is sitting next to me with controller 2 in his/her hand.
I do not buy downloads. My games have all been gotten in a box, on a shelf, in a store.....or they were straight-up pirated.

I've seen all this restrictive crap coming for a long time now and have personally taken steps to avoid being a sucker. Maybe you guys thought all my rants were just me ranting to hear myself speak. You would be wrong.

I'm not buying any of these new consoles. I'll play my 40-year backlog of (emulated) games that don't report in to anyone and will be perfectly happy doing that. I've gone FULL RETRO. Not buying ANY new games anymore. You can thank the industry's greed for that.

I'm sorry, but I gotta stop you there. DLC is a HUGE part of PC Gaming. Most PC games are in fact DLC. Unless you catogorize emulation as a PC gaming, you got a major contradiction sitting there.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A decrease in my options for no gain... forgive me if I do not jump at the chance.
While true, it's better than nothing. If the lock-out is indefinite, I'd say it's good bye for the second hand market in the sense of eBay and such. If my 360 and its game collection is any indication of the future, I'll be buying one (or two) next gen console in the beginning and then maybe the rest at the end for exclusives.

Personally I won't be buying the XB1 (hell I just bought the 360 a few months back) and probably never will if the online requirements aren't loosened. Changes in the used game category would be nice too.. I've got far little time to play games nowadays due to my upcoming Master's Thesis and work. I'd love to play games during vacations at my summer cottage, but it's literally in the middle of nowhere, so online is pretty much impossible (barely even has 3G access).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: any mushroom trip adventures you can share