Would you buy this from Nintendo if they made it?

Would you buy this device from Nintendo if they made it?

• Yes for $700-$1000 max

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't think a handheld and phone is a good combination. I like to keep them seperated so I don't get messages when I'm playing. I also think it's a bad idea for the general public since people switch phones every or everyother year.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
  • #1 MUST HAVE some sort of personal stylus that would be great and amazing feature for games
  • Amazing 6"+ HD display with great ppi, like 400+
  • Good camera 12+ Megapixels
  • 4/6 GBs of RAM
  • A removable battery with 4000+ mAh
  • USB TYPE C please and thank you
  • Slap a Tegra X2 chipset or something better
  • 32/64GB with Expandable Storage

bullshit....
amazing 6'' HD display with a resolution of 720p at max
amazing 3 megapixel camera
128 MB of ram
i agree with the battery part since nintendo stuff usually have good battery
proprietary usb cable.
no dedicated GPU, cpu equivalent to a pentium 4
1 GB storage for OS. 512 MB for install apps, exampandable with micro sd slot

come on... nintendo hardware power is 5 years behind...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No one would buy it, since it will run android and you can just spoof your own hardware to run the software.
This is what I'm worried about. I would buy it if it gave the full (handheld) console experience and also gave the full smartphone experience, but using Android would likely just result in another Ouya, and using a custom OS would result in a worse smartphone experience.
Also, it would need proper controls. Something like the Xperia Play would work but it would make the device more bulky and heavier, a detachable controller maybe not so much as it would seem more like a smartphone with hardware controls tacked on.
I just don't see how a device can function well both as a smartphone and as a game console, they have to compromise on one thing to do the other one well.
I might buy it anyway just for the phone part of it, if it did that part well.
Nintendo Phone if it had new hardware:
  • #1 MUST HAVE some sort of personal stylus that would be great and amazing feature for games
  • Amazing 6"+ HD display with great ppi, like 400+
  • Good camera 12+ Megapixels
  • 4/6 GBs of RAM
  • A removable battery with 4000+ mAh
  • USB TYPE C please and thank you
  • Slap a Tegra X2 chipset or something better
  • 32/64GB with Expandable Storage

People usually don't think about this, but when buying a phone, with comparable specs and a contract, they end up paying for $800+ while paying for it 'monthly'.
With this Nintendo Phone, you'd essentially pay for the ability to play Nintendo games on it, while still having a good phone that will last at least 2+ years. Take a look at the video that @BurningDesire posted to have and idea of what it would look like, and that joystick/controller dock would be the cherry on top ♥.
(compare with the Google Pixle C for $500)
I might buy it just for the smartphone part if it did that part well but as said above I don't think it could work well as both a smartphone and a handheld console, they would have to compromise on one or the other, and compromising too much on the smartphone part would make it nothing more than an expensive handheld console, it's more likely they'd compromise on the console part as people would still buy it just for the smartphone part (and everyone and their grandmother has a smartphone nowadays)
It's gotta be a "Maybe" for me.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Roxe__

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
bullshit....
amazing 6'' HD display with a resolution of 720p at max
amazing 3 megapixel camera
128 MB of ram
i agree with the battery part since nintendo stuff usually have good battery
proprietary usb cable.
no dedicated GPU, cpu equivalent to a pentium 4
1 GB storage for OS. 512 MB for install apps, exampandable with micro sd slot

come on... nintendo hardware power is 5 years behind...
LOLolol, pentium 4! GPU=potato200 series

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If Nintendo made a device with those specs, it would cost one infinity dollars. Maybe more. So no.

I prefer this concept.
It's okay but this is just silly. Is there a reason why there should be only one expansion port, and all upgrades are mutually exclusive?

(And a single-lens camera couldn't be 3D.)

Reactions: KingVamp

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo made a device with those specs, it would cost one infinity dollars. Maybe more. So no.
Who knows? Perhaps since it would be so many they could lower the price per unit down but It would be very hard to go under 300 usd for a phone of those specs not counting the actual game console side of things.

Roxe__

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
↓↓This ↓↓

Touch has been proven to not work for any "real" game. That is why gamepads were invented.

The problem, when we are talking about handhelds, is one problem alone:

Smartphones.

No casual gamer wants to pay to buy a dedicated gaming handheld, when your smartphone does gaming, calls, media, work, and so much more. The absolute and final proof to this, was the massive reception Pokemon Go had. Because now, Nintendo has both markets: The true gamers, and the casuals who never bothered to "waste" money on a console, but still like and remember Pokemon.

A handheld gaming system such as the Vita or the 3DS, is optional and limited in its functions. Very limited. On the other hand, a smartphone is not only something you need, but it also runs circles around the 3DS and Vita in regards to functionality.

Hence why Nintendo will probably adopt the Android system.

At the end of the day, both Nintendo and Sony have to adopt iOS / Android and make games for those OS's. Making specific gaming systems has long lost it's "profitableness", simply because no one wants to carry around a Nintendo 3DS when they can have Pokemon Moon/Sun and Zelda on their phone.

Nintendo and Sony will try to fight this with every ounce of strength they have. But in the end, they both will become Software publishers, rather than hardware makers. Mark my words.

Portable gaming consoles were beaten the second they invented smartphones and tablets.

There is one final reason people do not usually point out, as to why handhelds are a losing battle, that to me is very obvious:

Whether we like it or not, someone playing a Nintendo 3DS on the street, will be seen as a nerd/child-like person by the masses. This is a problem that remains in many countries, mine included.

Playing on a SMARTPHONE, isn't. Everyone plays on their smartphones.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seen everyone from kid to adult playing 3DS and one of the things Pokemon Go shown, whoever the "masses" are, are just ignorant hypocrites. I agree that people don't want to carry a 3DS around, not because of unfounded insincerity, but accessibility.

Speaking of accessibility, I chosen maybe because I don't agree with this specific price point or concept. Both goes against the whole idea of accessibility.

1) It doesn't have be a flagship, not everyone goes for these. Nintendo doesn't have to take on the whole phone market, for a gaming phone to be successful. In fact, that would probably make it easier on Nintendo and devs development. If it hit about 3DS numbers and then some, should be enough.
2) Combine handhelds and phones only to carry another thing around anyway? No, the whole point is to carry less. Controls have to be built into the phone. Slide or Sidekick design is probably the best design.
Not many want a lot buttons on the face of the phone and one can always buy a case to protect the phone. Especially if dual screen is here to stay.
3) While I do think it should be Android friendly, I don't think the OS itself have to be Android.
4) They have the N3ds, so it isn't crazy to say that they can have yearly or two updates for the people who wants them.
5) I do think there is and will be place for handhelds, they just need to adapt a little.
6) Nintendo doesn't have to do this alone, in fact they probably can't. Which is fine, since they have been and still are reaching out to more companies anyway.

Video in the op is more of dream phone with Nintendo and gamepad dock slap on it.
If Nintendo merge them together right, of course I'll get it. If it literally just an Android phone with a dock, I'd be worried.

I think the problem with the Xperia Play was timing and support from its own creator. Possibility an lack of a game slot too. Not that the idea itself was rejected and a bad idea.

Btw, the price point just doesn't need to be that high. $200-250 without. $350 max with 4G and calling.

Last edited by KingVamp,
Reactions: Roxe__

FeverishJackal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the idea, but I think "idea" ought to be replaced with "fantasy." This thing would be terribly loud with the fan and the battery couldn't last very long, and I think it's all outright impossible. Plus, I don't think Nintendo would ever want to do this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up