Would it be possible to hack a 3DS with the Lionel City Builder 3D: Rise of the Rails QR Code Scanner?

susbaconhairman

I am the official skribbler
OP
Trophies
Website
skribbl.io
XP
Country
United States
It's a mediocre game, so the QR Code scanner might not have a limit for data, so you can crash it with a QR Code and run unlicensed code like how Ninjhax worked. I don't think there will be any updates either, of course the eShop is closing so they might not be able to update the game, but it's also been out for 5 years and there have been no updates. Also, the game is 5 dollars, so it's pretty cheap, I guess get it while you can (after August 29th, when you won't be able to use Gift Cards anymore, you can still use download codes, here is the game on Nintendo's site: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/lionel-city-builder-3d-rise-of-the-rails-3ds/).

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
So... Why exactly would the community want more userland exploits when we can already install full homebrew (b9s/luma) via multiple ways already?

Discovering more ways to install homebrew to the switch would be awesome, not to the 3DS.

Reactions: ShinyDarkrai47

susbaconhairman

OP
Trophies
Website
skribbl.io
XP
Country
United States
So... Why exactly would the community want more userland exploits when we can already install full homebrew (b9s/luma) via multiple ways already?

Discovering more ways to install homebrew to the switch would be awesome, not to the 3DS.
Why not have another exploit? It's always good to have more. And get the fuck off this section of the forums if you are gonna talk about the Switch (although there does need to be an exploit for that, but why don't you just buy a Switch v1?).

Reactions: binkinator

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a mediocre game, so the QR Code scanner might not have a limit for data, so you can crash it with a QR Code and run unlicensed code like how Ninjhax worked.
That's a bold assumption, especially if you haven't actually gotten the game to crash yet.

This is addressed at the bottom of the /r/3dshacks FAQ.
A crash does not equate to an exploit. From a gravely oversimplified view, exploitable bugs are a subset of all bugs. Crashing can happen due to circumstances completely useless for exploitation, mainly if the game's programming is just shoddy and can't handle a certain corner case.

Without going too deep or technical into the details, exploitable bugs require a certain amount of user-provided data that can be put into place in order to be executed. While QR codes provide a convenient means for providing large amounts of user-controlled data, but it may be properly validated so that no exploits are possible.
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/4r6fx6/some_wrong_statements_that_i_still_see_people/

Reactions: ShinyDarkrai47

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even if possible, it would really just end up like all of the other game-dependent exploits and not be used anymore. Userland exploits likes these were popular before better and more efficient methods were found and published. Nowadays, there’s needs to be exploit better than the current ones to get attention.

susbaconhairman

OP
Trophies
Website
skribbl.io
XP
Country
United States
Even if possible, it would really just end up like all of the other game-dependent exploits and not be used anymore. Userland exploits likes these were popular before better and more efficient methods were found and published. Nowadays, there’s needs to be exploit better than the current ones to get attention.
You mean people should invest in very simple exploits, such as putting a file on the SD card, then launching an app and then you have haxx like that?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On that note, I expect someone could, with relative ease, make "new" exploits for the eShop versions of Sticker Star, Ocarina of Time, and Pixel Paint that install like Steelhax or Pichaxx, i.e. by using movable.sed to generate save data that can be copied to the SD card, instead of requiring an extra entry point. I think the fact that no one has done so just demonstrates how little interest there is in such a thing.

Then again, Sticker Star and Ocarina of Time are hardly the cheapest games on the eShop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto