Revopoint Range 3D Scanner Impressions

GBAtemp Review Revopoint Range.png

Revopoint is back with another handheld 3D scanner, the Revopoint Range. The device has been launched as a Kickstarter project and we’ll look at an early model of the product here. Bear in mind that the final version might vary, hence this being an impressions piece of what is available at the moment. And as usual, caution is advised when it comes to crowdfunding campaigns. However, Revopoint has had a decent track record with its past projects which have all shipped.

For the Range scanner, pledges start at $474 on Kickstarter and there is also an option to purchase a turntable add-on which is large and sturdy enough to support humans for scanning (502mm diameter, 200kg max load, remote controllable, 35-90 seconds per rotation).

Out of the box, the following items can be found:

IMG_20230111_092627.jpg

contents.jpg back.jpg bottom.jpg camera.jpg

Specs details of this new 3D scanner can be found below:

spces.jpg spces 2.jpg

Using the Range is fairly easy as it is mostly a plug-and-play affair and it comes with a handy phone mount, handle (for phone use) and adjustable tripod (for PC use) for more versatile scanning scenarios. But first, you’ll need to have the appropriate companion software on the system you will use it on. Once downloaded, you can use the appropriate cable to connect the handheld scanner to your device and start scanning.

connected.jpg

Like the previously reviewed Revopoint POP 2, this new scanner is also portable but is aimed at scanning larger objects - think humans and even cars. Compared with the former, the Range fares better at scanning humans and does so more accurately as well. Even if I was impressed with the POP 2’s result, the Range wowed me even more with the details of the people and their clothing that I scanned. I was left impressed by how easily I could scan, with little former 3D scanning experience, people's features from their hands, to their foot veins to the creases on their clothing.

And the Range does not only deliver decent scans on large objects but also smaller ones. Scans of such elements are also detailed and appropriate for hobby/project 3D printing. The examples below will give you a glimpse of what to expect and these were done rather fast; and giving scans more time and adjusting the scan settings will yield better results.

However, the issue of darker elements, in particular dark hair, remains tricky and requires patience as it has a learning curve in order to get the conditions and settings for a right scan. But considering the size of the device and its ease of use, the scanned output is still impressive.

scan 1.png

scan 2.png scan 3.png

I mostly used the Range tethered to my phone and the companion app, but there is also the option of plugging it to a Mac or PC. The latter’s scanning software has been improved with a better UI and additional features. The beta version that I tried works well but it is a bit laggy when rotating scans and needs additional polishing in this regard.

However, it is a major improvement as it allows for scanning as well as post-processing of scans. To perform the latter, a separate software would be required but these features have been included in a single app and this makes for a more streamlined experience. While the current software requires polishing, it is taking a big step in the right direction.

But the mobile companion app does not feature post-processing features (which can be understandably demanding). The downside is that you’ll need to manually export scans you performed on your phone in order to edit them on the PC software.

scan app.jpg

Of course, you purchasing such a device will be based on your needs. I’d recommend it if you’re looking for a 3D scanner for your projects whether that’s for 3D-printing scanned models or scanning environmental elements for a game or animation. The 3D models output are more than decent considering the compact and portable convenience that the Range offers.

At the current Kickstarter price of $474 (which ends on March 17th), the Revopoint Range is among the best value-for-money 3D scanners out there. The quality is decent, scans can be performed on a range of object sizes and the whole kit is portable. While I prefer the POP 2’s more compact size, the quality and range of scans that the Range offers swayed me towards favouring the latter.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like the idea of a personal affordable 3d scanner

The colors look a bit distorted in some places - how did the black/white models look?

Did you try 3d printing anything - would be neat to make a scan of a dog or cat and print out a little version of them

kcajjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd love the idea of this for making custom car parts. I'd be able to scan a part that's on the car and then make a custom 3d printed part to fit that using those measurements before getting the final part made on a cnc.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
I really like the idea of a personal affordable 3d scanner

The colors look a bit distorted in some places - how did the black/white models look?

Did you try 3d printing anything - would be neat to make a scan of a dog or cat and print out a little version of them
yeah colours will depend on lighting conditions, so you'll need some patience and trial-and-error to get the conditions for a great scan right. Black and white models fare better though and are more uniform. Didn't 3D print the models myself but I believe other reviews have done so (viewable on the KS page).

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its very simple. Below the page, you will find an option to see the list of staff members.