Hacking Would it be possible to emulate 3ds games on the Wii u

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for now it is, obviously. But I think in 6-8 years emulating 3ds will be worth it
I think in that time you'll be able to buy really cheap n3dsxl's and it will still be the best place to play 3ds games on. Don't forget that nothing beats the original 3ds controls for 3ds games.

Skeagle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think in that time you'll be able to buy really cheap n3dsxl's and it will still be the best place to play 3ds games on. Don't forget that nothing beats the original 3ds controls for 3ds games.
very true, usually any original console is always going to be the best for a very long time but it also would be cool to have it on the switch anyway

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No. Only Nintendo would have the knowledge required to code a 3DS emu for the Switch that would actually boot and go above 1fps (cause ARM/ARM, ya know the drill). But Nintendo will never do it because the 3DS is too recent. As for a community emu, it'll never happen.
Out of question for the Wii U, which doesn't have the advantage of having an ARM CPU.

biggan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to stream your gameplay to the Wii u from a 3ds?

I doubt it. But don't think it's impossible.
But just checking since I don't have a computer atm.

Ashell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of the features I was hoping for, among bluray movie, and classic wii upscaling. I think they would have sold a lot more wiiu if they did.

If you look at the bottom of the pad there is like a USB port and some screws in the back. I kind of assume they were going to make like a Gameboy type adapter.
All these people saying the wiiu doesn't have the power. Maybe not to emulate, but its basically the same language. Someone would need an OS and library I think. the nn3ds is a quad 800 MHz and the wiiu is like a tri 1.2 ghz. The only issue would be that the 3ds has another chip just for OS. Not every game would work that at the NN3ds spec, but original 2-core 3ds games should work because that is listed as 268mhz. (I'm not 100% sure on these speeds. just going by wiki) Anyway, my imaginary 3ds adapter would have the OS chip to run the games.

I'm going to say no on streaming, because there isn't any extra power to encode those frames. Those people that stream on youtube have mods that steal the vram info and then your computer does the encoding.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is one of the features I was hoping for, among bluray movie, and classic wii upscaling. I think they would have sold a lot more wiiu if they did.

If you look at the bottom of the pad there is like a USB port and some screws in the back. I kind of assume they were going to make like a Gameboy type adapter.
All these people saying the wiiu doesn't have the power. Maybe not to emulate, but its basically the same language. Someone would need an OS and library I think. the nn3ds is a quad 800 MHz and the wiiu is like a tri 1.2 ghz. The only issue would be that the 3ds has another chip just for OS. Not every game would work that at the NN3ds spec, but original 2-core 3ds games should work because that is listed as 268mhz. (I'm not 100% sure on these speeds. just going by wiki) Anyway, my imaginary 3ds adapter would have the OS chip to run the games.

I'm going to say no on streaming, because there isn't any extra power to encode those frames. Those people that stream on youtube have mods that steal the vram info and then your computer does the encoding.
lol wiiu is ppc not arm, switch is arm so the switch has much better hope of emulation 3ds.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know is not the answer to the question, but I can say it sure would have been smart to have 3DS games on wii u either by hardware modification like nintendo past systems like Super gameboy or Gameboy player, for sure that would have been one smart thing to do for wii u. I mean think about it, HD 3ds games on big screen, gamepad, all having either inserting a cart into the system or eshop, but then again you know, flash carts so maybe they probably would have known to avoid it, though it would have helped WII U a LOT! :glare:

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

You can stream from new 3ds to PC without any hardware modifications with ntr cfw. The Wii u would just have to receive that.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Of course you could keep the original consoles for everything and let's be honest, even without savestates and fast forwarding etc. still nothing beats playing N64 games on a real N64 with the real damn controller.
However the point in emulation (at least for me) is to have a collection of games in one place.
Nothing beats the PC in this. It emulates almost everything, the hardware is scalable to fit recent emulator needs and so on but the Wii U comes really close to that experience.
We will never see PS2, XB, 3DS and maybe not even Dreamcast emulation on it but yet it's just amazing that it plays:
  • Wii games natively (including WiiWare games which contain many gems)
  • GC games (more or less) natively (Nintendont, now even with the Gamepad)
  • Wii U games (obviously)
  • N64 and DS through VC/injection
  • PSX through vWii mode's WiiSX (probably soon in Wii U's RetroArch as well)
  • and a ton of systems (including every notable Nintendo system up to the SNES) through RetroArch
And thanks to the amazing Maschell (HID to VPAD) you can play most of these games with whichever controller you want.
All from your couch.

However let's get back to topic: 3DS will never happen on the Wii U and I even doubt it will happen on the Switch anytime soon.
There's only one notable 3DS emulator (Citra) and it's only for 64 bit PCs. Not even Android (what would be a step to the Switch, when it's hacked).

biggan1

Trophies
XP
Country
You can stream from new 3ds to PC without any hardware modifications with ntr cfw. The Wii u would just have to receive that.
Then my question might be the best answer to it all.
No you won't emulate, but streaming (this requires a PC atm afaik)
You could stream it to the comp and then use any controller.

So we can basically set it up as we were playing on the Wii u. Just another method that needs a 3ds. :)
Hur I like it, anyone tried and have any input?

A cool idea would be casting the upperscreen to the TV and the bottom to the Wii u controller, but even I found that to b a stretch.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My biggest reasoning *personally* for wanting to emulate the 3DS on something *like my PC* is that after a while of looking at the smaller screen, my eyes get tired and blurry.

Reactions: biggan1

biggan1

Trophies
XP
Country
My biggest reasoning *personally* for wanting to emulate the 3DS on something *like my PC* is that after a while of looking at the smaller screen, my eyes get tired and blurry.
Im looking for the same thing, also it would be nice to relax your fingertips Abit on a larger controller, if you got big hands like me. Lol

I don't know much about streaming the screen to a PC but it isn't hard.
Then if I'm not wrong you could use his to glad to use any controller at all.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as emulation it's gonna take time, is this viable if you like to try play it in another setting?

Ashell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know is not the answer to the question, but I can say it sure would have been smart to have 3DS games on wii u either by hardware modification like nintendo past systems like Super gameboy or Gameboy player, for sure that would have been one smart thing to do for wii u. I mean think about it, HD 3ds games on big screen, gamepad, all having either inserting a cart into the system or eshop, but then again you know, flash carts so maybe they probably would have known to avoid it, though it would have helped WII U a LOT! :glare:

Like they could have just made it a separate download, so like you stick the cart in the 3ds and stick it in a suspend type state that sends a key to the wiiu over wifi every 5 minutes or something. But I can think of a few games people would have wanted to play on 3ds and wiiu. Monster hunter being one of them. And you don't want 2 different game saves, you want cumulative progression.

Trophies
XP
Country
France

This is absolutely bullshit. The Wii U has a PPC architecture, which has nothing to do with the 3DS's ARM. Plus, Wii upscaling is impossible, it'd require the Wii to be emulated.

Reactions: lordelan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1