Would it be financially beneficial if companies.

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be financially beneficial if companies near the end of their consoles lifespan release these exploits to sell more consoles before their new one is out? I personally can't fathom it but I wanted to know if someone else here had some sort of perspective on the idea.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Would it be financially beneficial if companies near the end of their consoles lifespan release these exploits to sell more consoles before their new one is out? I personally can't fathom it but I wanted to know if someone else here had some sort of perspective on the idea.

that would be business suicide.

Reactions: BORTZ

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am quite willing to believe it would change things, whether that would be beneficial in clearing stock (though if they have their projections right then there should not be stock left that they are responsible for) and not cost money in software sales, especially if they are intending to recompile the games with better resolution textures and sell them as new games like they have done for the last few goes around, I am far less willing to speculate upon without some numbers to look at.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
of course it would be business suicide.. company like Nintendo is already lacking 3rd party support... its like saying Fuck you to 3rd party support.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
of course it would be business suicide.. company like Nintendo is already lacking 3rd party support... its like saying Fuck you to 3rd party support.
Yeah releasing such things with a press release would be nuts, however if an unspecified source in their security team happened to anonymously post things to someone that might know how to do it...

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Im talking as if nintendo made a user on GBAtemp called "Maninkoko" and released a "exploit" at the last year of their console to sell more hardware at a profit.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
by the time the specific consoles are past their sell by date , they have usually been hacked wide open anyways.. no need for the IP owner to get involved.

and yeah dumb Q,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That would be stupid.
Then no one would buy the next generation and everyone would stick with the old systems.
Cheaters will wreak havoc online and everyone will get scared away from games.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why would it though?If for example they released it a year before the new console they could move out new units and the developers are the ones that take the hit for piracy.
...which would cause the audience to delay buying a new console, and would infuriate the developers (both first and third party), which would certainly reflect in the readiness to make games for a new system.

Come on, dude. What are you really trying to accomplish? You personally can't fathom it, so what you're basically saying is "is someone here stupid enough to think so?".

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is everyone equating what he said to start with people delaying buying a new system? In the relative past when a new box showed up the following year and change was it for a system and the releases dried up fast within the year or two and even that year was less than when it was alone. If the hardware makers wouldn't flake and keep systems competing against themselves on the market for years plus that wouldn't be an issue. So back to his comment, if a console maker started seeing developers hitting a wall on quality, and they knew tweaks and tricks to maximize some new efforts on the system (much like old PC demo makers did like in the DOS days doing some crazy stuff under big 386/486 restrictions) why the hell not do it? I wouldn't make it a public blow out announcement but there wouldn't be harm in releasing a 2.0 version of the dev kit tools which have those exploits in the manuals. It's really no different than some geniuses figuring it out on their own, making their own tools, or coding in some super optimized code to pull of some magic say like Project S11 on the GBC.

If you as a console maker actually bother to cut the cord within 18mo of the next system arriving, this shouldn't cause a problem with selling new stuff. It could help extend the life of a system longer so you wouldn't so quickly have to replace the hardware maybe giving it an added year or two where things can still feel fairly fresh and there's no harm in that. If the releases dried up and the makers were made to jump to the next system no longer giving out licenses/authorizing more releases it wouldn't harm new generation system sales. You just have to learn some balance and when to cut off the old for the new is all which is what they've forgotten this generation it appears.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because if people got the exploit or keys or whatever at the end of the consoles life time, why would anyone feel the need to buy a new one when there is so much more life to be squeezed out of the one they already have? Its kinda the problem we have now but magnified. So many people have Xbox 360s and they still work fine, no need to upgrade to an Xbone. Imagine if right before the Xbone was released, Microsoft released a bunch of hacks for the 360? Even less people would want to shell out the money to upgrade.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be financially beneficial if companies near the end of their consoles lifespan release these exploits to sell more consoles before their new one is out?
* I'd imagine the bulk of the money is in software, not hardware
* games companies will just jump ship to a manufacturer protecting their intellectual property as much as possible (rather than with a company with regular policy of breaking the floodgates open after a certain time). The trust between parties can't be broken
* they'd rather re-sell you older titles again rather than have you playing them without paying

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A much more practical approach would be to take the wind out of potential hackers' sails (like Smea/crediar/etc.) by releasing official tools that do many of the things hackers have set out to accomplish. Things like save backup/restore, disc/cartridge install, custom themes/levels, and limited RAM and save editing. Isn't that one of the main reasons people like Smea hack? To do things THEY don't want you to do? Things that you want to do? I know I'd pay for a service like Nintendo+/Nintendo Live if I could backup and restore my game saves freely so I don't have to worry about losing hundreds of hours worth of work in the event my console is broken or stolen.

Such actions would also divide communities like this one into those who hack for mostly benign purposes and those whose primary aim is piracy.

Last edited by Ailuros27,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)