Hacking WORST THING TO DO's (MOD CHIP INSTALLATION)

loresfx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the things i SHOULD avoid when installing a mod chip to a wii? I know the correct way of installing, they are a bunch of helpful guides around but, what are the WORST things to do that can potentially damage the wii during installation.

lecture.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
don't use anything higher than 15watt solder iron
don't use a solder gun, those are like 75+ watts you will burn a hole in your console
make sure your contacts are clean, using a pen eraser to clean contacts isn't a bad idea.. then use a little flux and start soldering so your solder will flow and get a good bond
practice on something that isn't important such as a spare IC before you solder into your $250 wii. then do your modding
don't place the tip of your solder iron on any point on the wii for more than 5 seconds. typically when I mod ps2 systems these days, I am so quick I'm only on a point for a split fraction of a second since even 15 watt is pretty hot.
make sure the tip of your iron is clean and tinned, solder won't flow if the tip is a black color
don't have any distractions while u are modding your wii, u can kissie kissie your g/f later
wub.gif

woytek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I used a 45W and it worked perfect for me! The wattage has nothing to do with temperature, just with capacity.

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Holding the iron with your penis.
From the part that heats.
While in the water.
Fapping with nails on your hands.
Listening to american idol.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Dont pull to hard if on the soldered wires.
I did that when i was LED modding my nunchuck and i acidently pulled off the solder point!
I was lucky i still works after but i could have gotten a dead nunchuck ;S

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
a 45w iron is far hotter than a 15w iron, and 100w hotter still.

nothing to do with "capacity" (what on earth could the iron hold??).

yes thats right, that's why you get different solders based on the wattage of iron you use

also what do those profesionals think they are doing with 80watt high precision irons
rolleyes.gif
they must be really stupid eh ??

someone once suggested to me that the higher power iron you have the better it was at maintaining temperarure when worked hard with larger amounts of solder, but what does he know eh
wacko.gif

i'd play it safe and go for 1 watt iron, you won't damage anything then, i wouldn't want all that wattage being shoved down my motherboard, as we all know it's direct connection with no temperature control
unsure.gif

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
also what do those profesionals think they are doing with 80watt high precision irons :rolleyes: they must be really stupid eh ??

I used a 60watt iron for my gcn and lots of ps1's... I also used a 100w iron (and twice a soldering gun) on a playstation. as long as you are careful you'll be safe with any iron.

if you are new to soldering 15-30watt would be a safe heat to use.

may as well use a match if you are gonna try a 1watt iron - more heat.. ;p

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
mine turned out ok, I used A gigawatt soldering needle.... take a butch,

click for more detail, to see my fine precision work.

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forums are for girls - never read up on the best practices of soldering, never do any prep work of any kind. If you're reading this you're already screwed so just start soldering before continuing to read anything else. Of course if you are a girl... then hello, what'cha do'in tonight?

Feel like you have to hurry - quickly remove the screws of the case and play no attention to where they go. Don't label a diagram so you remember the exact spots each goes for the three or four different screw types that for some magical reason all fit the other holes.

Whatever you do - don't practice soldering on an old network card (or other old computer crap). If this is your first time soldering - live life on the edge - just dive right in and start.

And when soldering remember the "hurry, hurry" moto. Don't spend time getting the perfect bead on the end before continuing - if the solder looks like too much or kind of balancing to one side - screw it - throw that down on the board and make your magic work.

And the absolute worst thing to do is to post a message asking about worst things to do.
wink.gif

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I can only add to the wisdom above with this 'essential' snippit......

DO BUY a $10.00 30-40watt soldering iron set from e-bay, make sure though it's big enough to double as a cattle-prod or a weapon-of-war, so it can be usefull after soldering your wiikey in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro