Hacking Wood R4 for Clones

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibejj

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
mine was a gift too, and here in Brazil the flashcards its like 70 us$, and i'm sorry if i'm not rich but thats is a lot of money for me...
of couse that i want to buy a new flashcard, but when you have to pay the bills...

PyroSpark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works fine but it can't play Yugioh Reverse of Arcadia Japanese version. It just says "Unable to read data. Please turn off the power and reinsert the Game Card"

Can you please find a way to fix this?

vilneamo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
kibejj said:
mine was a gift too, and here in Brazil the flashcards its like 70 us$, and i'm sorry if i'm not rich but thats is a lot of money for me...
of couse that i want to buy a new flashcard, but when you have to pay the bills...
You can always buy online
Shoptemp.com
12$ for the card
And shipping options (free - 16$ for within a week)
Thats not too much is it?

BTW: I ordered mine there too after the dissapointment of buying an r4sdhc

u4ia24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people here just don't get it. A lot of people have different reasons why they need the Wood R4 to work on clones. Most of the reasons involve having no choice but to use their clone card.

I am glad on some of you guys who have original cards. Thats really the way it should be. But some people doesn't have a choice on throwing away their clones. Thats why they need this firmware so at least they can get to play games on a better firmware.

Let me enumerate 11 reasons so some of you might understand:

1) Flash card was a gift.
2) Flash card came bundled with the NDS.
3) Flash card bought from stores INSISTING that they sell original cards BUT got tricked and bought a fake card.
4) Person has no extra money to buy a new flash card.
5) Person has extra money but local stores doesn't carry original cards. Only clones. (yes this is possible)
6) Local stores sell original cards at CRAZY HIGH prices (because clones are so rampant stores can be abusive and sell original cards at high prices) so buying a new card is not cost effective.
7) Person has extra money but ordering online is not an option because of location (person might be too far away and shipping will be expensive AND NO free shipping doesn't cover all locations).
8) Person has money but doesn't have a credit card. Therefore, cant buy online.
9) Person bought a new flash card but is still waiting for it to arrive (like me, its been 2 weeks and im still waiting for my card to arrive).
10) Person bought an original card but it never arrived. Said person is traumatized to spend again (hopefully that doesn't happen to me).
11) Just doesn't want to spend money because they got more important things to spend on (cmon not everyone here lives off their parent's allowance. some people here work and got real responsibilities other than spending stuff for their DS).

See? Some people doesn't really have a choice. So jeez, just be nice and let this firmware be worked on so someday it might get fixed. Aren't you glad to be helping people who have unfortunate luck?

/rant off

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
u4ia24 said:
See? Some people doesn't really have a choice.

There is always the choice to be happy with what you have. Their clone card came with a kernel (I assume) and that kernel still loads a huge amount of games. I think you will be entertained for years before you played them all. It just can't run the latest games but nobody is twisting your arm demanding you shall run these games. You make it sound these clone buyers are with their back against the wall, but there is no fire squad to execute them if they are unable to run the latest games.

Besides that, most newer games will have patches in no time to make them run again. In that case its only a convenience problem of having to patch the ROM and not being able to run a clean one. There are enough people who use the R4 1.18 kernel with the latest games, patched, and are more than happy with it.

So in the end, its not a disaster at all, just an inconvenience. The clone card didn't break or become useless just because Wood R4 saw the light of day. Of course it would be nice for you to run Wood R4, but that's about it.

Now please stop whining, just wait patently until a fix arrives or take matters in your own hands to help out. Whining doesn't help to arrive at a solution any faster and only will discourage those who can do the job. Who wants to serve petty whiners, I wouldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHMaxEFdJz8

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
u4ia24 said:
Some people here just don't get it. A lot of people have different reasons why they need the Wood R4 to work on clones. Most of the reasons involve having no choice but to use their clone card.

I am glad on some of you guys who have original cards. Thats really the way it should be. But some people doesn't have a choice on throwing away their clones. Thats why they need this firmware so at least they can get to play games on a better firmware.

3) Flash card bought from stores INSISTING that they sell original cards BUT got tricked and bought a fake card.
5) Person has extra money but local stores doesn't carry original cards. Only clones. (yes this is possible)
6) Local stores sell original cards at CRAZY HIGH prices (because clones are so rampant stores can be abusive and sell original cards at high prices) so buying a new card is not cost effective.
7) Person has extra money but ordering online is not an option because of location (person might be too far away and shipping will be expensive AND NO free shipping doesn't cover all locations).
9) Person bought a new flash card but is still waiting for it to arrive (like me, its been 2 weeks and im still waiting for my card to arrive).
10) Person bought an original card but it never arrived. Said person is traumatized to spend again (hopefully that doesn't happen to me).
11) Just doesn't want to spend money because they got more important things to spend on (cmon not everyone here lives off their parent's allowance. some people here work and got real responsibilities other than spending stuff for their DS).

See? Some people doesn't really have a choice. So jeez, just be nice and let this firmware be worked on so someday it might get fixed. Aren't you glad to be helping people who have unfortunate luck?

/rant off
None of that means you're entitled to piracy. Your clone must work to some extent, so play the games that actually work on it. Your poor decision shouldn't need to be fixed by someone else's unpaid labor, especially if you act entitled to it. You're stealing in the first place. Complaining that you should be able to steal more is just childish.

u4ia24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who's complaining? Last time I checked you guys with original cards are the one complaining and whining that its not right that the Wood R4 will SOMEDAY work on clone cards.

And lastly, I'm not being impatient. Did you even read my post? Did I demand the Wood R4 to be released/fixed right away? I did not. I just gave reasons why some people are looking forward to a working Wood R4 for clones.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
u4ia24 said:

LOL! Not one of the above are valid reasons, nor are they entirely accurate. Given an 'authentic' R4DS can be bought online for sub-USD$4 (with free shipping), after using a savings account through Paypal, the only reason I can see is that a child has no money, nor income and parents won't allow them to shop online.

I can't believe the stir Wood R4 has caused...even Acekard owners are asking in that section "how do I get Wood R4 on my AK2i". It looks exactly the same as AKAIO, but without certain extra functionality and, I think, compatibility
wacko.gif
I only have an original R4DS, but I was always under the impression the clones still had some support and better compatibility than the original.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
u4ia24 said:
Who's complaining? Last time I checked you guys with original cards are the one complaining and whining that its not right that the Wood R4 will SOMEDAY work on clone cards.

And lastly, I'm not being impatient. Did you even read my post? Did I demand the Wood R4 to be released/fixed right away? I did not. I just gave reasons why some people are looking forward to a working Wood R4 for clones.
uhm please stop whining and fighting.
its embarrassing you know
sad.gif

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Generally I agree with u4ia24's post about people not having a choice. I have bought my R4 SDHC in early 2008 from a shop which claimed they were selling R4 carts (original, obviously). When I finally received it, the box said R4 SDHC. Their user support claimed these were a new upgraded R4 carts, so I bought the story. I don't think people even realized these were clones at the time. Anyways, I cannot say the cart was useless, since I finished at least a dozen games on, it and it's still up and running (most games up to #3800 work fine, and also some after), it's just the antipiracy in recent games, and lack of updates (the team does update it, but the updates are kinda sucky), that kinda make it less useful. So if anyone can release a Wood R4 for clones, why not. From what I have read, it's open sourced anyway, so you can do whatever you want, as long as you agree to the terms of free licence. This is completely different from what Rudolph did with AKAIO 1.5.1.,which he did without the approval of author.

u4ia24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leonidas said:
*snip

Yes, thank you. That's one point i was trying to get across.

useurcamera said:
u4ia24 said:
*snip
uhm please stop whining and fighting.
its embarrassing you know
sad.gif

Excuse me, why are you embarassed? We're having a mature conversation here. Like what Leonidas said, the code is open source. If it's possible to port then why not? Why do you have to limit the accessibility to original cards only? (if when the save bug gets fixed) Are you saying you guys are better than those who have clone cards? C'mon honestly we're all just pirating.

Just to be clear, im not requesting for the fix.

QUOTE(Dark^'^Knight @ May 2 2010, 10:30 PM)
*snip

Not one valid reason? Dude, its not always easy to shell out cash and buy online. You think i have a Paypal account? I don't. I had to borrow my sister's Paypal account just to order an Acekard2i. And it still havent arrived so I have no choice but to use my clone card. Just saying.

wafflox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark^'^Knight said:
u4ia24 said:

LOL! Not one of the above are valid reasons, nor are they entirely accurate. Given an 'authentic' R4DS can be bought online for sub-USD$4 (with free shipping), after using a savings account through Paypal, the only reason I can see is that a child has no money, nor income and parents won't allow them to shop online.

I can't believe the stir Wood R4 has caused...even Acekard owners are asking in that section "how do I get Wood R4 on my AK2i". It looks exactly the same as AKAIO, but without certain extra functionality and, I think, compatibility
wacko.gif
I only have an original R4DS, but I was always under the impression the clones still had some support and better compatibility than the original.
What? Those are all completely valid and possible reasons. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean other people can't have experienced it. Not everyone uses paypal, not every adult has money to spend, etc etc.

Anyways, I decided to check back here and I'm surprised at some of these posts. Is it really that hard to imagine someone who isn't as buyer / NDS Cart / etc savvy either? Just helpful advice - think your posts through and know that being spiteful doesn't really help anything. Also, opinions =/= fact. Not preaching, but yeah...

Edit: Ah. Also, I don't think this should be given up on. It seems like there's some kind of hate for clone users or prejudice even. I'm not sure what's going on or why, but I don't see why clone users shouldn't get a chance / work to have Wood R4. Good luck on this project and to you clone users.

DDTarZan

Never getting laid again /s
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this will be updated sometime in the future, or else I'm screwed. But the only problem I'm concerned about is the saving thing. That is just one problem and I understand how tough these things are to work out. I wish whoever is working on this the best of luck and that I'll be supporting this %100 of the way.

Kanahpoo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really don’t understand what the fuss is all about … Wood for clones would indeed be nice, and i would be lying if I’d say I wasn’t eager for it’s release, but some of you act as if it’s the last chance for clonecards … how about sticking with YSmenu for now? Just use the latest infolibs updates and you can play mostly all new roms

squishynidas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
u4ia24 said:

/rant off
Honestly, unless you are a youth, most of those are BS excuses and no real reason not to own an original.

Also I see people complaining about price. Online the price doesn't change, only the shipping cost. So, stead of buying a 70$ card. You can buy a 12$ card and pay 4-16$ shipping instead.

squishynidas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stropdasje said:
u4ia24 said:
See? Some people doesn't really have a choice.

There is always the choice to be happy with what you have. Their clone card came with a kernel (I assume) and that kernel still loads a huge amount of games. I think you will be entertained for years before you played them all. It just can't run the latest games but nobody is twisting your arm demanding you shall run these games. You make it sound these clone buyers are with their back against the wall, but there is no fire squad to execute them if they are unable to run the latest games.

Besides that, most newer games will have patches in no time to make them run again. In that case its only a convenience problem of having to patch the ROM and not being able to run a clean one. There are enough people who use the R4 1.18 kernel with the latest games, patched, and are more than happy with it.

So in the end, its not a disaster at all, just an inconvenience. The clone card didn't break or become useless just because Wood R4 saw the light of day. Of course it would be nice for you to run Wood R4, but that's about it.

Now please stop whining, just wait patently until a fix arrives or take matters in your own hands to help out. Whining doesn't help to arrive at a solution any faster and only will discourage those who can do the job. Who wants to serve petty whiners, I wouldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHMaxEFdJz8
There is a difference between not whining and encouraging people to not buy cards that aren't supported by their creators. The original r4 is cheaper than most r4 clones. The Acekard is relatively inexpensive. Super card doesn't break the bank. The only card that is really outrageously priced with a cheap clone is the Cyclos DS. There is no excuse to buy a fake hunk of crap. The argument is that these company's are exploiting their customers buy not supporting their products anymore and creating new cards that they will in turn exploit again.

dedsnags

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, I have an r4 that says upgrade under that and revolution for ds under that from deal xtrm and an r4i (has the big i next to the 4 not the little one) that also says revolution for ds. I had these for my nephews a while back and have since myself for my kids moved on to acekard 2i (thank god). My nephew somehow erased everything from his r4i card and wants his uncle to get him going again. I have tried damn near every firmware old and new from multiple sites and cant get past loading screen. Also tried both of these versions and still stuck in loading. I cant even come close to remembering how the hell I got these things working before because acekard is so easy. Please help guys and please give a step by step and exactly what should go where. I put both wood.nds and rpg folder on both cards with a games folder and only loading screen. Again, please help and thanks in advance for all who try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: ok