Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why don't we just ask him nicely if this can be a thing? He seems like a nice guy, he might let you do the whole thing.

The best we can hope for is to show this to Toby when we have significant or complete progress. At best he may let us continue or may be inspired by the fact that fans care so much to make a port.

Reactions: pastaconsumer

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a website that has the sprites ripped already, although due to Toby's wishes (And rules) I can't link it here. I can PM you and the OP though.
I've gotten them myself already, I'm just splitting them up, but thank you :)
Why don't we just ask him nicely if this can be a thing? He seems like a nice guy, he might let you do the whole thing.
I know he's a nice guy, but I'm not 100% sure he would understand, not to mention, if he takes poorly to it, we wouldn't even get to finish the demo, which I really want to do. At least finish Toriel's house. Anywho, I've already expressed wanting to ask him at a later time. :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nice! Did you dump just the demo, or the full game?
Full game.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best we can hope for is to show this to Toby when we have significant or complete progress. At best he may let us continue or may be inspired by the fact that fans care so much to make a port.
This is exactly what SEGA did for Sonic CD's remake. After a video of an unofficial iOS alpha version of Sonic CD was posted by a fan, eventually SEGA hired them to finish the remake to go with Sonic 4 episode 2.
Heck, they even later hired the same dudes to remake Sonic 1 and 2 for mobile.

But that was commercial though, so if anything you may have more luck becoming actual 3DS developers and actually developing this as if it were an eShop game, not through homebrew.

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly what SEGA did for Sonic CD's remake. After a video of an unofficial iOS alpha version of Sonic CD was posted by a fan, eventually SEGA hired them to finish the remake to go with Sonic 4 episode 2.
Heck, they even later hired the same dudes to remake Sonic 1 and 2 for mobile.

But that was commercial though, so if anything you may have more luck becoming actual 3DS developers and actually developing this as if it were an eShop game, not through homebrew.
I think with how much Undertale is taking off, that Ninty would be pretty pissed if we ported a potential profit game for free on homebrew. I don't want them to pressure Toby or anything. Nintendo is pretty harsh when it comes to GOOD fan remakes/ports/etc especially when they think the profits might be affected.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know he's a nice guy, but I'm not 100% sure he would understand, not to mention, if he takes poorly to it, we wouldn't even get to finish the demo, which I really want to do. At least finish Toriel's house. Anywho, I've already expressed wanting to ask him at a later time. :P
He'd likely at least understand, as he has made an Earthbound ROM hack.

I think with how much Undertale is taking off, that Ninty would be pretty pissed if we ported a potential profit game for free on homebrew. I don't want them to pressure Toby or anything. Nintendo is pretty harsh when it comes to GOOD fan remakes/ports/etc especially when they think the profits might be affected.
I think the only game Nintendo's ever C&D'd is Super Mario Bros. X, and even then that was only the official site - downloads and sites for it are still out there.
Random trivia - the person who made Super Mario Bros. X later went on to make Terraria!

They haven't C&D's Super Mario Flash or Super Mario 63, or especially SMW Central and Lunar Magic, as they compete with Mario Maker, or Mario Paint Composer, a 98% carbon copy of Mario Paint's music mode.

Reactions: XavyrrVaati

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He'd likely at least understand, as he has made an Earthbound ROM hack.

I think the only game Nintendo's ever C&D'd is Super Mario Bros. X, and even then that was only the official site - downloads and sites for it are still out there.
Random trivia - the person who made Super Mario Bros. X later went on to make Terraria!

They haven't C&D's Super Mario Flash or Super Mario 63, or especially SMW Central and Lunar Magic, as they compete with Mario Maker, or Mario Paint Composer, a 98% carbon copy of Mario Paint's music mode.
They also killed Super Mario 64 HD.

Also...
37319f01c6.png

Reactions: frogboy

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really nice - knowing there's still stuff hidden in the game fills me with determination hope.
Yeah, there are a lot of assets I don't recall being in the game. Some of them are weird. Some of them are hilarious.

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
How do the saves work for the PC version anyhow? I'm sure it uses two of them and has an appdata folder, but I'm just curious. Personally I thought if such a project like this was ever made, we should make the changes work by having a .ini file with the flags setup, then any time the game triggers a flag the number in the .ini file will be stored seperately.

Although for all I know that's probably how the PC version does it too. :P

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do the saves work for the PC version anyhow? I'm sure it uses two of them and has an appdata folder, but I'm just curious. Personally I thought if such a project like this was ever made, we should make the changes work by having a .ini file with the flags setup, then any time the game triggers a flag the number in the .ini file will be stored seperately.

Although for all I know that's probably how the PC version does it too. :P
It saves to the user's appdata. We would probably just use a .ini in the app directory, it's pretty easy.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
The game uses multiple files for saving.

undertale.ini has stuff relating to a certain end boss and other universal stuff like times died.
file0 is the user save file.
system_information_962 is getting stuck in the black screen
system_information_963 is the flag for accepting the deal

There are other files like file9 but I'm not sure about those.

You can copy it to increase authenticity or make your own.

Edit : Sorry for spoilers.

Last edited by StriderVM,

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please spoiler that for people who haven't played. I have a pretty good understanding on how the saves work, I'm not sure if we would make them accurate. Though if we did, it might be possible to be compatible with PC saves.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Woah woah woah spoilers man
Hide them quick! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1