ROM Hack [WIP] Fire Emblem Fates Support Editor

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
supports for an existing character and adding a new one

Yeah, that's a little odd. When you select your GameData.bin, that prompter at the top should change from "Please Select GameData.bin" to "GameData.bin Loaded." It looks like something got messed up during that process - it's definitely a bug. I'm actually having trouble reproducing it though. Do you remember what you did before you encountered the bug? Everything shows up correctly for me when simply opening a GameData.bin and clicking on a character.

Alternatively, it could be an issue with your Supports.xml, as I've already found some odd behaviors with that file. You could try replacing your Supports.xml with the one that came with the download and see if that fixes the issue.

MsMidnight

part time fe modder
Trophies
Website
camilla.hostfree.pw
XP
Country
Yeah, that's a little odd. When you select your GameData.bin, that prompter at the top should change from "Please Select GameData.bin" to "GameData.bin Loaded." It looks like something got messed up during that process - it's definitely a bug. I'm actually having trouble reproducing it though. Do you remember what you did before you encountered the bug? Everything shows up correctly for me when simply opening a GameData.bin and clicking on a character.

Alternatively, it could be an issue with your Supports.xml, as I've already found some odd behaviors with that file. You could try replacing your Supports.xml with the one that came with the download and see if that fixes the issue.
the one from the download is the one im using

upload_2016-7-18_13-50-23.png

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also if it is any help im using a 32 bit windows 10 laptop

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
knock yourself out

Well, there's your issue - you haven't decompressed your GameData.bin, so the program cannot read it correctly. You'll need to use something like BatchLZ77 to get the file into a format that this program can read.

But looking back at it, there's some serious issues with how my program's reading support tables - it's not quite reading your GameData.bin correctly. I know what the issue is, and I can fix it in the next version, but if you want to get around it right now I'd suggest using the GameData.bin that comes with the Gay Fates hack, as there aren't issues with that version. Sorry about the issue.

MsMidnight

part time fe modder
Trophies
Website
camilla.hostfree.pw
XP
Country
Well, there's your issue - you haven't decompressed your GameData.bin, so the program cannot read it correctly. You'll need to use something like BatchLZ77 to get the file into a format that this program can read.

But looking back at it, there's some serious issues with how my program's reading support tables - it's not quite reading your GameData.bin correctly. I know what the issue is, and I can fix it in the next version, but if you want to get around it right now I'd suggest using the GameData.bin that comes with the Gay Fates hack, as there aren't issues with that version. Sorry about the issue.
i see. do you have a link to BatchLZ77 ?

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to add more support space for an existing character?
This can be done, all you have to do is repoint the character's support table to a location with more space. I can try and walk you through that process if you want me to.

also how do i use the nightmare modules ? its confusing me
What part of the modules are you having trouble with?

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes! I'd greatly appreciate the help.
Alright, it's not a very difficult thing to do, but it could be a little intimidating if you aren't used to hex editing.

1. Open your GameData.bin in a hex editor and navigate to 0xADF0. This is the pointer table used for every support table in the game.
  2. In order to find the support table we need to move, you'll have to locate the pointer to it in the table. Each set of 4 bytes after the first set is a pointer (the first 4 just indicate table size). The first list in this guide is the order of characters in the table. So for example, the bytes at 0xADF4 point to Ryoma's table, the bytes at 0xADF8 point to Male Corrin's table, etc.
  3. Before we go to the table, you should record the offset where you found the pointer, because we are going to have to change that pointer later. Once you've done that, navigate to the offset indicated by the pointer (flip the bytes around, so if the bytes are D7 2F 03 00, you navigate to 0x32FD7). When you get there, move two lines down and you should be at the table. You have to move two lines down as everything in GameData.bin is offset by 0x20.
  4. Copy every byte from this table and move it to your new location. Make sure that when you move the table, you overwrite existing bytes, DO NOT paste insert. Paste inserting will break other pointers in the game, and likely prevent your game from launching correctly.
  5. Go to the start of the table at the new location, and move two lines up. Note this offset, and flip it around so that you can get the pointer for it. So if my new table is two lines below 0x23B10, the pointer would be 10 3B 02 00.
  6. Go back to the table at 0xADF0 and find the pointer that you followed to the original table. Change it to the pointer to your new table.
  7. You now have space for new supports!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

everything. im tryingto load .nmm
I'm not sure that I'm following you. You just have to open your decompressed GameData.bin, then the Character.nmm file that comes with RainThunder's nightmare modules.

Juelz Proasheck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, it's not a very difficult thing to do, but it could be a little intimidating if you aren't used to hex editing.

1. Open your GameData.bin in a hex editor and navigate to 0xADF0. This is the pointer table used for every support table in the game.
  2. In order to find the support table we need to move, you'll have to locate the pointer to it in the table. Each set of 4 bytes after the first set is a pointer (the first 4 just indicate table size). The first list in this guide is the order of characters in the table. So for example, the bytes at 0xADF4 point to Ryoma's table, the bytes at 0xADF8 point to Male Corrin's table, etc.
  3. Before we go to the table, you should record the offset where you found the pointer, because we are going to have to change that pointer later. Once you've done that, navigate to the offset indicated by the pointer (flip the bytes around, so if the bytes are D7 2F 03 00, you navigate to 0x32FD7). When you get there, move two lines down and you should be at the table. You have to move two lines down as everything in GameData.bin is offset by 0x20.
  4. Copy every byte from this table and move it to your new location. Make sure that when you move the table, you overwrite existing bytes, DO NOT paste insert. Paste inserting will break other pointers in the game, and likely prevent your game from launching correctly.
  5. Go to the start of the table at the new location, and move two lines up. Note this offset, and flip it around so that you can get the pointer for it. So if my new table is two lines below 0x23B10, the pointer would be 10 3B 02 00.
  6. Go back to the table at 0xADF0 and find the pointer that you followed to the original table. Change it to the pointer to your new table.
  7. You now have space for new supports!
What locations in GameData can be overwritten?

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What locations in GameData can be overwritten?

Anywhere with a bunch of empty bytes (if you see a lot of 0xFF bytes and nothing else, that's probably an empty space that can be overwritten). If you can't find any of those, you'll have to expand I could also show you how to expand GameData.bin so that you have more space for tables.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yay!