ROM Hack [WIP] Fire Emblem Fates Support Editor

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put together a tool to make editing supports in Fire Emblem Fates easier. With it, adding in new supports is as simple as selecting your characters and hitting a button. You can also change existing supports between romantic and platonic fairly easily.

Additionally, the editor provides support for giving supports to characters who had none previously (like named boss characters). You'll need additional tools for this since you have to edit character blocks, but a full tutorial on the process is included in the Readme file.

While the program is available to use right now, consider the current release a beta. It's not perfectly stable at the moment - if you plan on using it, expect to run into a couple of crashes. If you do encounter any bugs or crashes, please report them to me - I would like to get the program to a point where they aren't a big issue. Look at the troubleshooting section for more information on reporting issues.

As a side note, you will need .NET Framework 4.5.2 or higher to run this program.

Current Features:
  • View all characters with supports and their support options.
  • Change the type of existing supports.
  • Add in new supports between characters.
  • Give characters who had no supports previously (like named boss characters) the ability to support with other units.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?c8clkqz38908ker

Version 1.01
  • Redid the GUI to make things a little more compact, added a utilities tab.
  • Added functionality for expanding both modded and unmodded GameData.bin files.
  • Added a prompter to show how much space is left for characters in the main support table.
  • Fixed a couple of bugs and crashes.

Version 1
  • Initial Release
  • Hotfix: Fixed data file issues with adding new characters.

Troubleshooting:

As mentioned previously, this tool is in its early stages - bugs and crashes are definitely possible at the moment. If you want to help get the tool to a point where its more stable, report any issues you encounter. In order to make the issue easier to analyze, it would be best to submit a couple extra pieces of information with a crash report. First, mention everything you did up to the point of the crash or bug - this will make it easier to reproduce. Afterwards, open up the "Supports.xml" file that comes with the program and copy the text. Include that text in a spoiler with your report. Thank you!

Last edited by thane98,

MsMidnight

part time fe modder
Trophies
Website
camilla.hostfree.pw
XP
Country

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The GUI looks really nice! Might make me want to ROM hack fates supports. Also what are the system requirements (Windows 7/8, 32 Bit or 64 bit etc)

You should just need Windows 7+ (32-bit or 64-bit), as well as .NET Framework 4.5.2 or higher.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get anything to decompress my GameData.bin.lz BatchLZ77 says it's not compressed, and FEAT fails for whatever reason, any advice?

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get anything to decompress my GameData.bin.lz BatchLZ77 says it's not compressed, and FEAT fails for whatever reason, any advice?
Open GameData.bin.lz in a hex editor and delete the first four bytes. BatchLZ77 should decompress it correctly afterwards.

Reactions: Omegablu

Grima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay! I was waiting for a simple way to edit in support options! Now about conversations...
Well, I hate to post this so soon after posting the original program earlier... But I went ahead and added a bit more to that formatter - the program can actually build the entire conversation file for all 4 support levels now. I also added in support for music in case you want some in your supports.

You can read a bit more about it here if interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/4hcrz9/hacking_fates_conversation_maker/
I know you posted that a while ago, but I use it for coding supports because it's easy and simple to understand. With adding in new supports, like for example, writing a Nichol and Candace support, does the support coding program have support for non-main story characters? (I used the word support so many times.)

Last edited by Grima,

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay! I was waiting for a simple way to edit in support options! Now about conversations...

I know you posted that a while ago, but I use it for coding supports because it's easy and simple to understand. With adding in new supports, like for example, writing a Nichol and Candace support, does the support coding program have support for non-main story characters? (I used the word support so many times.)

You can modify the .txt file that comes with the program to add in Nichol/Candace, but you'll need the Japanese characters used for them whenever they have dialogue. Just open up the .txt and follow the pattern in the file. If I remember correctly, it's the English name on one line and the Japanese name on the next. Just make sure to do that at the end of the file, as the first section is used for the emotions.

D

Deleted User

Good work, but will this support Awakening at any point in the future?

Sorry, I say this as someone who doesn't own Fates yet. :mellow:

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good work, but will this support Awakening at any point in the future?

Sorry, I say this as someone who doesn't own Fates yet. :mellow:

To be honest, I haven't done any Awakening hacking - I'm not how Awakening handles its supports. At the moment, I'm not planning on adding support for Awakening - sorry.

D

Deleted User

To be honest, I haven't done any Awakening hacking - I'm not how Awakening handles its supports. At the moment, I'm not planning on adding support for Awakening - sorry.

Eh, it's fine. Thanks for the reply. Probably gonna get Fates sometime in the future anyways.

Grima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question about adding support blocks to characters that don't normally have them. When I get to the part of the tutorial about changing the support route to Birthright, Conquest, and Revelations, there is no option to select. Like I opened the Character.nmn and selected Candace's ID (4E) and went to change the support route. When I clicked the dropdown menu, there were no options to select. Any idea what to do?

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I did things quite right, but I ended up being able to have Corrin support a bond unit (and marry them!) so I guess that's a success?

However, I want to note that while I was editing the supports for the Bond Unit, it said the bond unit had 0 space, and then when I loaded the GameData.bin after saving it showed more supports than I had made.

EDIT: Note the Gin (supports) jpg compared to the screenshots.

Attachments

• bot_0001.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 1,061
  • top_0001.bmp
    281.3 KB · Views: 715
  • Gin (supports).jpg
    Gin (supports).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 876
Last edited by Dylos,

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question about adding support blocks to characters that don't normally have them. When I get to the part of the tutorial about changing the support route to Birthright, Conquest, and Revelations, there is no option to select. Like I opened the Character.nmn and selected Candace's ID (4E) and went to change the support route. When I clicked the dropdown menu, there were no options to select. Any idea what to do?
That's a little odd - I haven't run into any issues with the drop down menus not working correctly. Are you sure that the GameData.bin you're using is decompressed?

And to make sure, you're having problems with this drop down menu, right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not sure if I did things quite right, but I ended up being able to have Corrin support a bond unit (and marry them!) so I guess that's a success?

However, I want to note that while I was editing the supports for the Bond Unit, it said the bond unit had 0 space, and then when I loaded the GameData.bin after saving it showed more supports than I had made.
I'm glad you were able to get the supports set up! Were there any issues or oddities while using the program or in game? I didn't notice anything during my personal testing, but I'd like to know how things work out for others.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you were able to get the supports set up! Were there any issues or oddities while using the program or in game? I didn't notice anything during my personal testing, but I'd like to know how things work out for others.
I'm not sure I did the offset correctly honestly, as I added only a single support for the Bond Unit which the Nightmare module referred to as Gin (Character ID 84, HH1) and that was GinxFemCorrin however, as seen in the screenshot above the editor thinks Gin has multiple supports. In game however Gin only has the GinxFemCorrin option. Additionally, after marrying FemCorrin, the prologue for Kana didn't open up, though I suspect I may have forced Gin to do a gender swap and that may be the issue here.

Using the GayFates hack as a base, I decided to use 190 as an offset, or 400 decimal.

Additionally, unrelated, don't give a Bond Unit the same flags as Corrin, the game doesn't let you save if they somehow become the main character...

Last edited by Dylos,

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://imgur.com/aGQ3FRH
Yeah, that's the drop down menu. But my screen doesn't even look like yours...
Something's a little off there - either the GameData.bin you're using isn't quite right, or the modules you're using are out of date. Could I see the GameData.bin you're editing? I can try messing with it and see where the issue is.

I'm not sure I did the offset correctly honestly, as I added only a single support for the Bond Unit which the Nightmare module referred to as Gin (Character ID 84, HH1) and that was GinxFemCorrin however, as seen in the screenshot above the editor thinks Gin has multiple supports. In game however Gin only has the GinxFemCorrin option. Additionally, after marrying FemCorrin, the prologue for Kana didn't open up, though I suspect I may have forced Gin to do a gender swap and that may be the issue here.

Using the GayFates hack as a base, I decided to use 190 as an offset, or 400 decimal.

Additionally, unrelated, don't give a Bond Unit the same flags as Corrin, the game doesn't let you save if they somehow become the main character...
I think I might know the issue, but can I see your GameData.bin to make sure?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!