ROM Hack [WIP] Dragon Quest VIII (8) "Restoration" Project

LoneFlo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It would be far harder (and longer) to replace the texts, it would probably require programming skills as japanese games rarely support western characters).

Once the faulty file will be found, it should be fine (except this little part, everything seems to work fine).

(It's not one of the file I renamed which cause the crash as we haven't reinserted any of those files yet, so it's probably one of the file which have the same name as the english version but which might be a complete different sound file).

I'm gonna try anyway. If my idea works, it could be helpful for other projects. ^^

If it doesn't then... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by LoneFlo,

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like just like to say that my version doesn't crash, and that you shouldn't be replacing all of th BG files, only the ones from 1 to 46 as replacing the rest (everything after 46) will result in the very loud jingle bug.

Also please try to at least write my name properly, it's Canzah, not Canvah.

Last edited by Canzah,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It probably doesn't crash because you only changed the BGM music and kept the voices in english.

But once we'll find the faulty fault, it should be okay.

For the rest yeah, I already also noticed jingles shouldn't be replaced because japanese ones are louder than english ones.

Last edited by davhuit,

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'd like just like to say that my version doesn't crash, and that you shouldn't be replacing all of th BG files, only the ones from 1 to 46 as replacing the rest (everything after 46) will result in the very loud jingle bug.

Also please try to at least write my name properly, it's Canzah, not Canvah.
Then maybe you have a better idea?
We want an full undub (with japanese voices) too, not just an orchestral restoration.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm gonna try anyway. If my idea works, it could be helpful for other projects. ^^

If it doesn't then... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's us know the results of your tests then. I just noticed there is a "font" directory so maybe also replace this would work.

We want an full undub (with japanese voices) too, not just an orchestral restoration.

There's no really better idea (except if the text files can be swapped), except to find the file which make the game crash.

Last edited by davhuit,

LoneFlo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Let's us know the results of your tests then. I just noticed there is a "font" directory so maybe also replace this would work.
I will. The font directory doesn't contain texts, only the font files. By the way, I already found texts files. A part of the texts at least. I have many tasks running for the moment, so I have to wait before testing. ^^

Last edited by LoneFlo,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Of course, I meant swapping the fonts might make the game compatible with characters we use to write.

@Asia81 : Seems I can't make a layeredfs patch as I don't have a working european decrypted rom (decrypt fails as I explained a while ago when I was searching the european sound files) so except if you share your layeredfs patch, I can't really help to test :/

Last edited by davhuit,

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I already thought to this idea.
Why not just replace the font and the text files, then try?

It would be more faster then dealing with a lose of time to research what fiels cause the game. And in plus, maybe later in the game there will be maybe another/futur crash.

So yeah, because the japanese game doesn't have multi-language functions, it would requiert us to share/upload 5 3ds/cia files, 1 per language, but it still an idea to try.

I'm going to try too.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I really don't think it'll work but it would be nice if it works (I did a lot of romhacking back in the day and it's rarely that easy to modify texts).

But if some people want to try, here's where to find the texts :

data\Message\
data\Script\field\
rom\Font (to replace the fonts).

Last edited by davhuit,

LoneFlo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I really don't think it'll work but it would be nice if it works (I did a lot of romhacking back in the day and it's rarely that easy to modify texts).
Yeah, I think only swapping files won't work, that's why I asked a friend to send me her old translation project (DQ7). Could help.

EDIT: Ok, it needs way more work than modding EU/US versions. Waste of time actually.

Last edited by LoneFlo,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Someone said it was possible to mute the english voices in the game but I don't find any options where to change the volume.

Is is really possible or not? If yes, where?

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Someone said it was possible to mute the english voices in the game but I don't find any options where to change the volume.

Is is really possible or not? If yes, where?
In the settings, voice goes from 1 to 5 then you have the "without" setting, it disable voices.

DarkSynopsis

OP
Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

But if some people want to try, here's where to find the texts :

data\Message\
data\Script\field\
rom\Font (to replace the fonts).

Even if this does work there seems to be text in the code.bin? Which is a nightmare.

Reactions: zombone

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also think so, so I guess we'll have to forget the idea of a full undub and do without it, as there is one crash (too bad it was only discovered know, I waste a few hours xD).

I guess if you don't like the english voices of the game like me, the best choice is to disable them in-game, like it was in the original japanese PS2 version (no voices).

Last edited by davhuit,

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, I personally prefer pass the crashing spot using dubbed game then save and reload with undubed one than having to support this horrible english voice acting, it's a million time worse than japanese one, i just can't...I will try to locate the problematic file and report it to you, if another crash occur, I will do the same, ect until we have the closest thing to a full undub game

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know you're doing full undub, I'm merely saying you shouldn't be replacing the jingles (all the BG files after 46) as they are identical in both versions aside from the JPN ones being MUCH louder which creates a very dissonant and unpleasant experience, when you can just leave those jingles as they are in the EU/US version, considering the jingles are 100% synth even in JPN.
And from what I saw in the thread on previous page, the consensus was that one of those jingle files was causing the freeze.

Also swapping the text files won't work since the EU/US version has VWF implemented, while the JPN one does not.
You're in a major headache if you try to just insert English text into JPN version.

Last edited by Canzah,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and yes ik im stupid for using it