Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the pirates have to do is use windows 10 loader :tpi:

I'm not sure how they will detect it since the slic oem activation came out, they have not been able to detect it with any update.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I'm still indecisive as to whether I want Windows 10 or not. I'm not sure if they're going through with that pay-to-use model that was mentioned some months back or if it'll be pay once and use forever. If it's the former, I'll probably either stay on Windows 8 or go to Ubuntu, but if not, I may make the jump as the Start Menu is really nice. I'm making use of the preview and it is quite nice, even on old, outdated hardware (x86 running on 4GB RAM, using a 40GB partition on a hard drive, all while running on a Intel Core 2 duo).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm still indecisive as to whether I want Windows 10 or not. I'm not sure if they're going through with that pay-to-use model that was mentioned some months back or if it'll be pay once and use forever. If it's the former, I'll probably either stay on Windows 8 or go to Ubuntu, but if not, I may make the jump as the Start Menu is really nice. I'm making use of the preview and it is quite nice, even on old, outdated hardware (x86 running on 4GB RAM, using a 40GB partition on a hard drive, all while running on a Intel Core 2 duo).
It was proven ages ago that Windows 10 won't be a subscription based thing. You don't need to pay each year, it's just a free lifetime upgrade as long as you upgrade within that first year.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ClassicShell ;3

also M$ is finally not trolling us and giving us the REAL start menu that we were promised with 8.1 that turned out to be a glorified MetroUI shortcut

LOL adding "desktops". something Ubuntu has been doing for years
If it's a good feature, why laugh at them adding it? Sure, it may not be the most innovative thing, but it's still an improvement over not having it at all. If anything, laugh at the useful features they didn't add.

loco365

Trophies
XP
It was proven ages ago that Windows 10 won't be a subscription based thing. You don't need to pay each year, it's just a free lifetime upgrade as long as you upgrade within that first year.
Oh, that's really good to hear, actually. I might go through with the upgrade then. One thing I've been wanting to do is back up all my hard drive contents and do a fresh install of 10, so I had better get on that, I only have until the end of July to do so haha.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
This is insane, I can't even get the bloody prompt to show up at all, so I can't even reserve my free copy :( Damn you Microsoft.
but you said that never wanted to upgrade from windows 7 so microsoft filed your complain and blocked the upgrade for you ;)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The simple reason why they skipped 9, is because of lazy devs and SDK's. If it was left as Windows 9, most installers out there would immediately see that number and then think "oh, this is a Win95/98/Me box" and either install with that assumption, or refuse to install at all. So that's your reason right there.

Is this really the reason though? Their naming conventions have been whacky as of late, and if they really wanted to call it nine I think they could have gone around that problem by having it recognized as Windows Nine... Then again lazy devs probably just checked the first letter and installers tried to install Windows NT-stuff. :lol:

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
So, that to you means that I can never change my mind after the fact I now have a second HDD that I can put the OS on?
nope, real man don't change their mind, they make a mistake and live with the consequences :tpi:.

in all seriousness though, calm down and wait for the update to come to you. you said you blocked automatic updates for the "terrible terrible update of doom" that is lurking there, I already dealt with it and is resolved by pressing F8 as startup and selecting the last good known config, simple as that.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this really the reason though? Their naming conventions have been whacky as of late, and if they really wanted to call it nine I think they could have gone around that problem by having it recognized as Windows Nine... Then again lazy devs probably just checked the first letter and installers tried to install Windows NT-stuff. :lol:
It sounds cynical, but I can speak from experience when debugging other peoples' code, especially when it came to optimizing for specific platforms. Since most of the OS's of that era started with the descriptor saying "Windows 95", "Windows 98", and its in-built shorthand of "Win95", "Win98", the common thing was to detect the OS build, and have a codepath for
Code:
switch(platform)
{
Win95:
Win98:
WinMe:
// Do windows 9x junk here

WinNT:
// Windows NT junk here
}
... so on and so forth.

So yes, it really is like that.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
So, how do I get the notification?

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with the newest updates.
I have the GWX folder, but I don't see the icon.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It sounds cynical, but I can speak from experience when debugging other peoples' code, especially when it came to optimizing for specific platforms. Since most of the OS's of that era started with the descriptor saying "Windows 95", "Windows 98", and its in-built shorthand of "Win95", "Win98", the common thing was to detect the OS build, and have a codepath for
Code:
switch(platform)
{
Win95:
Win98:
WinMe:
// Do windows 9x junk here

WinNT:
// Windows NT junk here
}
... so on and so forth.

So yes, it really is like that.

Well Win9 wouldn't match any of those anyway. What I heard was that it just checked the first character after Win and that would have been the problem (which is not even lazy, just stupid because it would have been just as fast to add the lines like in your code (or faster). Ever came across code like that? I still don't want to believe. :)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Win9 wouldn't match any of those anyway. What I heard was that it just checked the first character after Win and that would have been the problem (which is not even lazy, just stupid because it would have been just as fast to add the lines like in your code (or faster). Ever came across code like that? I still don't want to believe. :)
Oh, very much so. Annoyingly it is even integrated into some SDK libraries. So even if your hand-written code would have accounted for it, the compiler might not.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope, real man don't change their mind, they make a mistake and live with the consequences :tpi:.

in all seriousness though, calm down and wait for the update to come to you. you said you blocked automatic updates for the "terrible terrible update of doom" that is lurking there, I already dealt with it and is resolved by pressing F8 as startup and selecting the last good known config, simple as that.

Damn, and there's no way I can avoid going into safe mode or using a system restore? Bleh. Dammit, maybe I'll just get it via my college DreamSpark program instead. Figs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They haslve dedicated on board chips that aren't tweaked like x64/x32 afaik
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    but its a custom os for both of them
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    designed for only specific hardware
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    so you have to learn to emulate that specific hardware which isn't as easy as you'd think
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a locked down Linux distro basically
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think the only custom hardware is to do with the SSD and a security chip
    Probably combined in one chip
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They place married security chips onto boards iirc
    Damn Frontier is offering 5Gbps now lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly can't recommend any of the big 3 this years I'd say buy a rog ally z1 if we're being honest
    Honestly after the PS3 and 360 I just went full PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every games basically cross platform they only have about 6 titles making it worth the $600 price tag
    Didn't see much need for a console, all the advantages have kind of disappeared
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the ps3 used to support installing linux because the cpu was so powerful
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then the games are $70 and they want to reboot and refresh the same game every year
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The ps3 was always Linux they just found a way to make it open source
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    Yeah the 360 dongles sucked
    But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works