Gaming wind waker hd , should we ?

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
having never ever played a zelda game ... i know right ..crazy you say ... ive been thinking of giving this wind waker thing a go , but im sure on all this sailing malarky , does this take up the majority of the game play .. me and the mrs fancied a game we can enjoy and fuk have we struggled to decide , with lackof titles to choose from im left with windwaker as our only real option , like the puzzle solving aspect of games and hope this to be like that , but cant help feel imjust gonna be fekkin sailin around and gettin bored ...can some one kinda describe the gameplay ..

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
ive palyed and love both
i seem to be sailing alot less in HD remake as they have trimmed a few parts out on that side to make it quicker
also you eventually get other ways to get around quicker

Tornado Teleporting

but even when you are sailing you get mini games and random sea events
e.g Squids, Pirate attacks, jumping barrels money games, sharks

its really fun and loads of good puzzles and if you like puzzles there are some Non main quest ones for the people who like a good puzzle

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played much of the new version yet, but the additions seem well thought out and the core game has always been awesome. Plus, there are tons of people selling download codes for it on ebay for a good discount from the normal 50$- I got mine for 34$.

Zeliga

One step closer.
Trophies
XP
Country
Get it its tons of fun, I have the game and I completed it in 8-10 days. You have dungeons, The open sea, Secret treasures, boss battles, collectables and of course killin mo fo's aaaw yeah B-)

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 words: get the swift sail

I am going to have to figure this out...trying to play with out a walk through is proving difficult.

I reached a point in the game where there are 3 temples and I know where they are but can't get in any of them and my helpful boat basically tells me to just sail around and talk to people.

Eventually a looked up a guide to try to get unstuck, found out how to get the ballad of gales to warp around (have no idea how I was supposed to figure that out on my own) and then how to get the elemental arrows and the power bracelet....not sure what to do next but at least I have some ideas to try. I lifted up a giant statue head on outset island and found something like an endless dungeoun....just seemed like a bunch of rooms with enemies and I ended up back where I started with no reward.

The trouble I have when trying to check out a walk through for a little help with out wanting to spoil the entire game is the walkthrough will refer to locations by name and on my game map most places do not have names. I am a little annoyed at the world map of the game, how do I get stuff to show up on it? I am not sure why some stuff does and others don't, does it have to do with feeding those talking fish or something? I would prefer if places I have sailed were just added to my map so I could remember where the heck they were and how to get there.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
awesome isn't it. this zelda doesn't hold your hand unlike the modern ones that's what i miss badly...:(

this game you have to listen to everything and not dismiss anything the fish guys say. everything they tell you has something to do with something you can do and get in the world.

some hints:

1. uncover your map 1st by dropping bait near the fish guy and listen carefully to what he says. you can always look back what he said on the map screen.
2. to get to the final 2 dungeons you need to 1st go to 2 places on the map and do something with your bow. those FIRE and ICE arrows are interesting aren't they? ;) than find 2 people who have the same instrument to get into the islands where they are...you sure you haven't seen them already? there's pretty much only 2 people in the whole game with instruments :P
3. the endless dungeon on onset can be done later once you are looking for the triforce pieces. just keep going down the holes. when you have the mirror shield you can go down even further. your going to be doing a lot of fighting.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyward Sword is better. That should be your first Zelda. I plan on making WindWaker my 3rd Zelda.

Good Lord NO! NO! The controls alone might scare him away.

@OP Wind Waker would be a fine start to the series, but I would start a newcomer with A Link to the Past over it. Ocarina of Time is also not a bad choice to start, but stick to those 3 for your choices. All other games should be approached after playing one of those 3 first.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good Lord NO! NO! The controls alone might scare him away.

@OP Wind Waker would be a fine start to the series, but I would start a newcomer with A Link to the Past over it. Ocarina of Time is also not a bad choice to start, but stick to those 3 for your choices. All other games should be approached after playing one of those 3 first.

The controls in Skyward Sword are great. They are so natural. I didn't have much difficulty at all, and it was much funner with motion controls. I am playing Ocarina of Time now on the 3DS. It's so much harder. The difficult non-motion controls of Zelda is what kept me away from Zelda until Skyward sword. I get way more Game Overs in Ocarina then I did in Skyward Sword.

Theconejo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So crazy that this would be your first. I remember going over my friends and seeing him whip out a golden NES game and my eyes bulging when the game started up. Zelda 1 that is.

Play this one the. Go and play others if you like it. They all have a similar feel. Some of the handheld ones are great(Links Awakening[dx] and Minish Cap. Then the console ones are fun times also. I have yet to play Majoras Mask(couldn't get into it when I had n64) and Twilight Princess, although I have it just never had the time.

Let us know how you like it, if you do get it.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The controls in Skyward Sword are great. They are so natural. I didn't have much difficulty at all, and it was much funner with motion controls. I am playing Ocarina of Time now on the 3DS. It's so much harder. The difficult non-motion controls of Zelda is what kept me away from Zelda until Skyward sword. I get way more Game Overs in Ocarina then I did in Skyward Sword.

That's because Ocarina of Time is a better designed game.

Reactions: TyBlood13

potato3334

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i agree that the controls are great in skyward sword, in fact its one of my favorite zelda games. but i wouldnt recommend it as a first zelda game since its controls are so different from the rest. and honestly the motion controls arent meant for everyone, many people hate motion controls

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
having never ever played a zelda game ... i know right ..crazy you say ... ive been thinking of giving this wind waker thing a go , but im sure on all this sailing malarky , does this take up the majority of the game play .. me and the mrs fancied a game we can enjoy and fuk have we struggled to decide , with lackof titles to choose from im left with windwaker as our only real option , like the puzzle solving aspect of games and hope this to be like that , but cant help feel imjust gonna be fekkin sailin around and gettin bored ...can some one kinda describe the gameplay ..
Yeah, Wind Waker is exactly like that: boring as hell.

Other than doing nothing on the empty seas and fighting the same enemies over and over, it's basically ocarina of time with a few new gimmicks and overused cartoon jokes.
Plus the dungeons are few and short. If it wasn't for that endless ocean, I think it would be the shortest zelda game ever.

If you never played a Zelda game you could start with Link's Awakening for the Gameboy or Ocarina of Time for the N64. The original Legend of Zelda for the NES is also great, but kinda too difficult for a first timer...
I don't recommend A Link to the Past. It's a good game but very slow paced. Also it's very easy to get lost.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Link to the Past. That was the first Zelda game I've ever played, and the first one I've seen my older brother and sisters play and completed. If you're unsure Wind Waker is your style, A Link to the Past is a good place to start :P

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Wind Waker is exactly like that: boring as hell.

Other than doing nothing on the empty seas and fighting the same enemies over and over, it's basically ocarina of time with a few new gimmicks and overused cartoon jokes.
Plus the dungeons are few and short. If it wasn't for that endless ocean, I think it would be the shortest zelda game ever.

That would be Majora's Mask. In both Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, you have to focus more on the side quests than the main game.

I'm nearly convinced the WW haters don't like exploration, which is one of the core elements of Zelda, and Wind Waker uses that element quite nicely
If you never played a Zelda game you could start with Link's Awakening for the Gameboy or Ocarina of Time for the N64. The original Legend of Zelda for the NES is also great, but kinda too difficult for a first timer...
With my previous point, I find it funny that you suggest 2 of the most hand-holdy Zelda games. Both had a few side quests, but they are pretty easy to find (Skulltulas notwithstanding, of course), but overall both games' exposition never really left you guessing on where to go next.

I don't recommend A Link to the Past. It's a good game but very slow paced. Also it's very easy to get lost.
That's part of the fun! Once you get to the Dark World, it is almost completely up to the player the order the rest of the game is played (Yeah some of the later dungeons require you to have a previous dungeon item, but there still is plenty of freedom)

And hitting the X button is so hard to get yourself not lost.

Either way, that is your opinion and this is mine. To each their own!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank goodness no one mentioned Majora's Mask ;) Not the best one to start off with, but that's just me, I wasn't a big fan of it to be honest. ALLTP, OOT are all good games to start off with :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?