Gaming Will using a VPN screw up my home network?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, a very noobish question to be sure, but the thing of it is, I want to install a VPN (in this case, Hotspot Shield) so I can access sites without those pesky Google bots gathering my personal information (and to download Super Smash Bros Brawl hacks without Mediafire getting stuck in an infinite download verification loop). My question is, with my home network being set up the way it is (main PC, two other PCs connected wirelessly), will installing a VPN mess up and/or interfere with the network connection in any way? I installed it, but I haven't started to use it yet. Is doing this safe? I would use proxies, but they're not secure at all

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Short answer: No, it wouldn't.

Once set up on your computer, it won't mess with the router or other computers on the network at all.

Edit: And just think, people use VPNs at university, work place, library, schools, etc all the time.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its the one I use. However i only turn it on when i need it because theres anoying popups and ads. It reminds me of the good ol' altavista browser.(lol the good times)

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do remember though, that using a VPN will probably reduce your speed (the VPN machine (or its connection) is the bottleneck, much like with the Tor network).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, I dont have the other 3 wives