Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My friend gave me a free xbox 360 with the red ring of death. I have looked at many methods of how to fix it online and finally came up with a possible solution. On Amazon for $6 they have an x-clamp repair kit that is supposed to solve the red ring of death problem. If this is true (from most of the reviews it looks true) then i was thinking, if it started working again, about buying RAM heatsinks ($7) to make the cooling better to prevent any other RROD problems. Also, once i get more money, i was planning to get a Talismoon Whisper Fan ($16) for the Xbox to also keep it cool and running fine.

The Xbox itself has been treated once before for the RROD by taking a heat gun to the motherboard, and it starting working again for a little while and the RROD came back is what i heard from my friend who gave it to me. So maybe an x-clamp fix is all it needs and getting rid of the old thermal paste that is on it with alcohol or something and replacing it with new, fresh thermal paste. And I am thinking putting new heatsinks on and buying new fans should keep it cool and prevent RROD.

The Xbox itself is a White Arcade Xbox 360 with a Hitachi drive, and when i do the sync/eject thing i get some kind of multiple flashing lights but i dont know how to tell codes or anything so im guessing that just a fix and upgrades to some things in the Xbox will repair it permanetly, or at least for a good while.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
don't wast money on the talismoon fans their bad
tongue.gif

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's already been heat gunned ... AFK that's a motherboard reflow .

i wouldn't waste our time; out of interest though what is the MFR date at the back ?

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can help, but usually after a RROD, another RROD is definitely in the future.

Especially older models. You can use the X Clamp, a interior fan (exterior, really dont do much).

Wynd

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
It's already been heat gunned ... AFK that's a motherboard reflow .

i wouldn't waste our time; out of interest though what is the MFR date at the back ?

MFR Date: 3-21-2006

Posts merged

QUOTE(wyndcrosser @ May 3 2011, 09:21 AM) It can help, but usually after a RROD, another RROD is definitely in the future.

Especially older models. You can use the X Clamp, a interior fan (exterior, really dont do much).

Wynd

what kind of interior fan do you recommend? im trying to run this thing for as long as possible lol

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cobleman said:
Xclamp coupled with No Clean flux and a reflow (heatgun) and extra fans wont hurt either.
http://www.squidoo.com/xbox_360_red_ring_o...how_to_guide123
Also look here for a Fluxing method http://playstationlifestyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2376
Getting the flux under the GPU and CPU really does help when heating for reflow.
And take a look here as well http://xbox-experts.com/tutorial/team-hybr...p-fix-released/

I don't have a heatgun
frown.gif
but if i dont do a reflow and do what the first link says will that fix my xbox? And i dont know what kind of fans to purchase or to mod the current one to 12v......but would HANA/ANA RAM heatsinks help the overheating?

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with just the xclamp method is your just clamping it down to force it to make contact again. And when the board flexes again from heat you get the same problem all over again.
On the front right side of the board near the power button there is a spot for a power connector to be soldered into place for an extra fan (some models dont have this though). The real problem is the GPU under the DVD drive this is where you need to work on getting rid of the heat.

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cobleman said:
The problem with just the xclamp method is your just clamping it down to force it to make contact again. And when the board flexes again from heat you get the same problem all over again.
On the front right side of the board near the power button there is a spot for a power connector to be soldered into place for an extra fan (some models dont have this though). The real problem is the GPU under the DVD drive this is where you need to work on getting rid of the heat.

right ok.....i guess ill have to find time to get with my friend so i can use his heat gun....but thank you very much
biggrin.gif
and now ill probably try these heatsinks on amazon too to see if that helps overheating and see about the solder where i can put an extra fan on.....this xbox is going to be through alot in the next couple of days lol

http://xbox-experts.com/tutorial/team-hybr...p-fix-released/

this does look very promising

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GPU most likely has a cracked solder joint under it
you need to heatgun it again

then 12v mod the fan so they system stays cool (sort of)

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok well i really dont have any of the equipment to heatgun it or anything....but can you give me a minimum requirement to do this so i wont have to spend out a fortune?

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:

OH lol i found a guide for it now yeah i see all you really do need is a heatgun, aluminum foil, some foam like anti-static stuff, and some electric tape.....so yeah lol i see what is needed (i was about to have to spend out at least $70)

thank ya very much @Joe88

tai1976

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been wanting to post my solution for some time, but was not sure how it will be received. Anyway, here I go:

Purchased a RROD Core system (Mfg Date: 9/2006) off eBay back in January of this year. It had several forms of the RROD 0102 and 0100 which are probably the most common and definitely the result of a cold solder joint on the GPU. This system was unopened so I knew what I had to work with.

After getting the system I spent literally days researching the best fix and I think I've found it but don't fool yourself into thinking there is a permanent fix.

This is not a fix-all for every 360 out there but should help with GPU related problems. I do have to warn you, my fix is ugly but it uses common sense and really works.

What NOT to do:
1. RAM heatsinks, they are useless. Simply put, the RAM does not get hot. Open your case and run your 360 for 10, 20, 60, 120 minutes. The RAM will be as cool to the touch as before you started your system.
2. Upgraded internal fans or the 12v fan mod. There are adjustments to make the fans work more efficiently but they are free and make use of the stock fans. Besides the problem is the GPU heat sink, not the fans.
3. DO NOT reflow your system with any kind of external heating device. Letting the 360 overheat itself works just as well and is far less dangerous. Think about it, a heat gun could damage more than just the GPU and CPU, the CAPs and RAM for instance and they are not the problem. Overheating the GPU and CPU using the system can only hurt those components and it won't, they are supposed to get hot, thus the heatsinks.
4. A simple X-clamp fix will do, Amazon or eBay. The complicated kits which claim to prevent the motherboard from warping are crap. Yes, the overheating and cooling of the GPU cause the motherboard to warp which flexes the solder joints and creates a cold solder joint, but the damage is already done. If you cool the GPU properly and not with a fancy X-clamp kit this problem goes away.
5. The penny fix. Again, the RAM does not overheat so this doesn't fix that non-issue. What it does do is flex your motherboard which may temporarily prevent the cold solder joint but bending a motherboard to fix a solder issue just sounds like a bad idea and you are not attacking the real issue.

What TO do:
OK, so most of the RROD issues out there are GPU related. Why? Well first gen systems had a heatsink 1/3 the size of the CPU heatsink even though today's games rely on both very heavily. When a PC game doesn't work, what are the two items you most likely need to upgrade? The 2nd gen 360's added a 3rd heatsink attached to the GPU heatsink but placed it in the front of the system away from the fans due to space issues. So how do you solve the warping of the motherboard and overheating of the GPU?

1. Purchase an X-clamp fix from Amazon or eBay, get the minimum parts you need but be sure to get a kit with Arctic Silver 5. The heatsink paste can be something else but Arctic Silver 5 is proven to be the best. Some kits attach the metal cage to the motherboard and the heatsink for improved stability, but I'm not convinced this is an issue once the GPU is cooled properly but, if the screws do not use the metal cage you may have to drill the cage to allow the screw heads to come through the cage so that the motherboard lays flat. You never want to bend a motherboard but that should be common sense. This step should run you between $10-20.
2. AirFlow Cables. Do a Google or eBay search. You could also modify the existing DVD drive cable but this is easier and only $15 or so. You need the space over the GPU for the next step and there are ways to make an external drive look cool. I said it would not be pretty.
3. Purchase a 2nd gen 360 CPU heatsink from eBay for $10 or so. Use this heatsink on the GPU so that the GPU and CPU are now cooled equally, well almost, see the next step.
4. At this point you should not have to purchase anything else, except duct tape if you do not have it. I used white since it looked nicer and a Cheez-It box.
a. Underneath the white fan shroud you need to separate the two fans airflow by extending the shroud right to the centre of both fans. This will equalize the air flow across both heatsinks.
b. Cut out the GPU side of the shroud and extend it using the duct tape and cardboard to mimic the airflow on the CPU side.
c. Extend the shroud over the top of both heatsinks. The 360 fans blow outward and pull heat away from the heatsinks. So, the larger heatsinks draw away more heat, more surface area improves the fans ability then cool the heatsink, and the larger shroud prevents heat build up within the 360 itself.
5. Cut out the grate covering the fans on the back of the 360. This will obviously improve airflow and thus system cooling and it is a free mod.
6. Finally, to fix the 0102 and 0100 error codes the first time and when they come back in the future. Unplug the system fans, maybe even add a switch to make this easier if you do not want to have to keep opening your system. Personally I never bothered putting mine back together. Turn the system on and leave it for about 15 minutes. It should turn to 2 rings of death but it does not have to. Once the 15 minutes are up turn the system off reconnect the system fan and turn the system back on. This is equivalent to the 3 towel fix, the system burn in after the X-clamp fix, and the heat gun fix but much simpler and you should be good for another month or so. If the 0102 and 0100 error codes come back. Do this step again.

If anyone is interested I can post pictures but the ideas explained here are not original and pictures can be found elsewhere. I'll also answer any questions/criticisms that people have.

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks very much! A full explanation with many details and good places to find the equipment
biggrin.gif

So I've been looking around and on eBay they have a RRoD x-clamp fix for $2.99 free shipping and a 2nd Gen Heatsink for $8.49 free shipping and airflow cable has the mod for moving the dvd drive out of the xbox for about $15, and that is with shipping included.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs